Goverment ID verification

Bobbie-Esra0
Level 2
Frederiksberg, Denmark

Goverment ID verification

Hi, 

I am new at using the community and I don't rent out on a regular basis, only when I travel, so sometimes I discover the new platform/dashboard/setting option a bit later. 

To my horror, I just realised that "Goverment ID verification" is now only for instant bookings 😞 

How and when did that happen? And why?

I have two cats and elderly neighbours. After a few trial and error on picking guests, I have developped a good routine on how to choose my guests. 

My priority is having someone taking care of my cats and my flat, while I try to make their stay as comfortable as possible. I charge a bit less as well, as they have to take care of the cats. 

I always have this nervousness that something might happen, as I live in an elderly friendly building too. Once or twice I felt my cats being a bit nervous after I rented out to some guests. 

Therefor I can't use instant booking, as I can't always be sure if they are into cats (even though my listing says cats. they go for the price).

And my biggest comfort for avoiding scams, was that the guests have to be approved with ID verification and now that is gone 😞 

Anyone can fake emails and phone numbers. 

I just got a 3week request by someone in the US, saying they will visit their daughter, but there are many dodgy things about the email and profile, and just saw now too late that they are not ID verified. This makes me nervous as they could be anyone.

Anyone else has issues with this change? Why should I feel forced to use instant booking? I like having the initial personal messaging in the beginning. After all, this is not a business for me.

7 Replies 7
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Bobbie-Esra0,

You can still require guests to have government ID verification even though don't have instant book turned on.

On a laptop, click on "Host" and then select "Listings". Then click on the "Edit" button in the "Guest requirements" section. You can then click to mark the "Government-issued ID box" and then click on "Save".

Steve.

OK, I saw it but it only said "Verification", doesn't mention if it's official or just a phone nr, so I got unsure. Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 16.24.47.png

Hello @Bobbie-Esra0,

I just now realised that, as I have instant book turned on, the instructions I gave above don't apply when instant book is turned off. I meant to give directions to the page you mention but now can't find it. Can you say how you got to that page?

Steve.

@Steve0

Thanks for checking it out. The same way, Listing/ Guest Requirements

But I don't have many options. Just the one I posted a screenshot of.

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi @Bobbie-Esra0, you are correct, the check box for Government ID verification only works if you have Instant Book. However, there is a way around it. Add it to your House Rules, which they must also agree to before they can book, no matter which form you choose for booking. I do not do Instant Book either. I am in a University and Junior College county, Humboldt County CA, the heart of th Emerald Triangle (Marijauna country). I screen very carefully, I don't want my home used again as a temporary trim and pack house. :o(. The top of my House Rules says "Must have Photo uploaded to profile to book".  If they do not have a photo, I gently remind them that I need one before I can confirm their reservation.  Everyone that truly wanted to book has uploaded a picture almost instantly. Good Luck!

Thanks for your advice @Ava30. I haven't come accross a profile without photos, but it's true that I can update my house rules. 
I hope that Airbnb will change this again in the future though!

Carolyn382
Level 1
Santa Rosa, CA

Hello All,

Question: how many hosts think that all guests are required to have a government ID in their profile? 

Answer: I thought that but apparently it is NOT required.

it seems Airbnb has not enforced guests to upload a government ID.  I had a guest request a stay who disclosed he didn’t upload it bc of identity theft.

the support person said it is required but a quick review of our upcoming and past guests for this year show 6 others did NOT have a Government ID! 

This is dissapointing to say the least bc we have our unit on our private residence.  

And they don’t enforce expired ID either.  

I will add it to my House Rules but what do they do w those fees they collect ? Certainly not looking out for our safety by having up to date identification on file. 

Ive had 2 guests w phones that were not working. 

Just saying ...