Great communication is the key to hosting success

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great communication is the key to hosting success

Communication.jpg

Hello,

From the moment you first hear from a guest, you are starting the journey of hosting. Each conversation is important and can help you as a host find out the information you need and also make your guest feel excited about their stay. 

There are lots of things hosts can do to help to make this process run smoothly, from setting up pre-saved messages to adding in check-in instructions.

Take a look at the following topics to pick up some ideas: 

In your opinion, what are the key moments for communicating with your guests? How do you make sure you and your guests are both happy?

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

9 Replies 9
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Great communications are vital in this game. But with the sms/email glitch putting so many hosts behind the curve (me included) , it's not easy to get back to would-be guests in a timely manner.

Mentioned the many complaints on the forum when I called CS earlier today: "I prefer to get my information from our systems, not some community forum" said the bloke. Says it all really.  

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Gordon0 ,

Sorry about this ongoing tech issue. Rest assured, I've have been sharing all details with the QA team and the issue is being worked on as we speak. Sorry too, about the disconnect between the CS representative and the CC. 

As always, we greatly appreciate your knowledge, experience and feedback here on the CC! I do hope we can get the app issue resolved asap,

Steph

-----

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I guess my years as a psychotherapist has trained me that I cannot do my job unless I establish a rapport with the guest.  I thank them for their reservation, or reservation request or even their inquiry.  I also seek to find out why they are coming to this area and if I can be any assistance or resource. I also confirm their understanding of the listing, especially playing the "dog card".  I have a very chill but friendly greyhound, Cami, and I tell the guest both of us are looking forward to the visit.

All the rest of the messages dole out the information needed by both me, the ETA or if there are food allergies, and the guest, who might need something special.  I always send a message of caring that their travel is safe on the day of their arrival.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Linda108 

Sounds like you have a mastered routine that works well for you. Did you experience a phase of testing out different message content to see which was the most effective in conveying information in the caring way you detail?

Thanks

-----

@Stephanie   Over the years I have learned what many hosts know, that is, the lack of guests reading/understanding the lisiting.  As a writer in which I think I am conveying accurately and clearly, I have learned sometimes I have to tweak to be more clear.

I think my experience has actually made me better a conveying that I am truly pleased the guest is coming to my place.  I think I have become a little warmer.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Stephanie @Linda108 @Gordon0 

Open, welcoming and friendly communication from the very beginning, including in one's Listing makes an impact on how things unfold.

One of the most common themes and first & foremost feedback I've been receiving from my guests is the fact I'm naturally "friendly".

They have stayed in other ABB's where they have found people are stand offish & felt unwelcome which impacted in their experience.

In my situation I Host a private room and there's only me which is part of the reason they have chosen to stay in my home as my guests tend to be on their own in their private life and don't wish to stay with families or children.

So make sure your communication is there and not "silent treatment" towards your guests.

All the best

Hi everyone,

I thank the guests for their reservation, or reservation request, and I say to read the house house and if they have any questions to write me.

One week before their staying I send them a reminder, and how to get to the house, with pratical information. Usualy the guests like this one.

Denis-Mark0
Level 10
Lahnstein, Germany

The communication with my guests when I meet them personally is the most important ocasion to leave a grood impression.

The previous written communication can sometimes be very one-sided, because the guest does not react until the day of his arrival, although he receives a friendly welcome message. Well, th few lines of text or the ratings of my guests are usually not enough to get a good impression of someone.

The moment you first (and possibly only) meet, that's what matters. Good posture, friendly appearance, sympathetic natural smile, no hurry or hectic rush, eloquent language, but also a tactful feeling. Small talk serves to find out more about the guest. Whether the stay is of a tourist or professional nature. What do I communicate, what not. What are the priorities?

Not every guest wants to be directly seen as a family member. Some even feel uncomfortable with too much attention. As host I hold myself back with things to my person as long as a guest does not explicitly ask me. The guest should be in the foreground. Knowledge of human nature is essential.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Stephanie 

These comments are directed towards Airbnb customer Service, I’m correct in that assumption?

As any Host would will tell you, there is never really an issue with communication when you dealing with decent guest, it’s the malcontents and smart Alex where the issues arise.