Greek Law about renting a house in Greece

Dimitrios0
Level 1
Heraklion, Greece

Greek Law about renting a house in Greece

Hallo from Greece,

My name is Dimitrios and I would like to rent my house in AirBnb.
Does anybody knows about the rental laws in Greece ?

Thank you very much,
Galatianos 

51 Replies 51
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Dimitrios0

It would be very hard for anyone around the globe to know about local Greek laws.  I happen to have a friend with a Greek property and where she is located you need to have a permit and it is not cheap getting one.  Renting on airbnb or any other platform would not make much difference.  You need to ask your local authorities.

This reply is absolutely no help at all with incorrect information.  It was a complete waste of time replying.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As was yours @George141. Alongside being rude and unecessary.

No, the person confirms that they know nothing about Greek rental law and writes "It would be very hard for anyone around the globe to know about local Greek laws" and then decides to provide incorrect and misleading information. If one does not know, better not to reply.

Emmanuel9
Level 3
Agios Nikolaos, Greece

Hello,

From 1 November 2015 is free from every owner to rent his house without any registration or paper necessities of starting business.
The only that you have to do is whenever a guest coming to enter in www.gsis.gr (Greek online tax office) and register your guest for the days that he/she will stay. Its very easy and fast. The VAT in Greece for renting your house is 11%.
If you need more info let me know.
Your welcome, Manolis from Crete

Manolis i am talking with eforia at morning, and they told me that if i used to rent my house to travelers, i must register as a business. You know, i have to pay "teve" etc. I just saw your comment that says this is ton nessesery. Do you know anything more about it as i am trying to find a  solution? Thanks, Nick

@Nikos1@Emmanuel9 will only see this question if you create a link to his name (which I've done).  He'll now possibly get an email notification. 

Emmanuel9
Level 3
Agios Nikolaos, Greece

Hello Nikos,

https://www.newlaw.gr/gr/cms_articles/art_new?id=150

Say them in eforia to read the new laws.  This that they say it was 3 years before.
It was in Mnimonio 3 writen and voted from greek goverment in 14 August 2015. 

Manolis

Manolis hi,

Can you send me a blank mail to [email address removed]

in order for me to contact you?

I want to ask you some things on the matter of renting your

property through airbnb.

Thank you in advance,

Kostas

The greek government is making a new law for renting like airbnb, does anyone know more about it?

Lucas

Prior to 2015, one had to obtain a license from the EOT in order to rent, and depending on the license, it was also required to register a business (which can entail some complications if you are a foreigner since as soon as you are registering a business you need to pay social security). In Nov. 2015 a new law was passed lifting basically all legal constraints on holiday rentings and imposing a flat tax rate. Therefore many people who registered their holiday rental as a business canceled their business and went back to a private rental system.

But recently (December 2016) a new bill has (apparently) passed at the Greek parliament setting up the new framework for airbnb type of rentals in Greece. 

1) Up to a maximum of 2 properties can be rented by a single owner. Otherwise it must be registered as a business (again).

2) Up to 90 days rental per year in places of more that 10.000 inhabitants (up to 60 days rental in places less than 10'000 inhabitants) are allowed without registering as a business.

3) If renting leads to more than 12.000 euros in the year, one has to register as a business. Otherwise it's not necessary.

There is some slightly contradictory information on the web (for example http://www.chaniapost.eu/2016/12/13/omnibus-bill-airbnb-rentals-only-for-90-days-per-year-in-greece/) but I think what I just say is correct.

Best wishes,

Louis 

Hello,

I have 4 apartments for rent. Maximum is 2... Please tell me what is legal way?  

George

Louis, I have a question regarding this issue.

I am renting one apartment in athens now and can't understand whether the problem comes after renting it more that 90 days or after surpassing the €9.000?

If someone could explain me that it would be marvelous

Sincerely,

Evangelos

Hi Evangelos,

For what I understood, it's like this:

1) Up to a maximum of 2 properties can be rented by a single owner. Otherwise it must be registered as a business.

So as you have 1 apartment, I understand that you are not concerned here.

2) Up to 90 days rental per year in places of more that 10.000 inhabitants (up to 60 days rental in places less than 10'000 inhabitants) are allowed without registering as a business.

So as you are in Athens as I understand, it means that you can rent your flat up to 90 days a year without registering a business.

3) If renting leads to more than 12.000 euros in the year, one has to register as a business. Otherwise it's not necessary.

So if however your earnings from your rentals are above 12.000 euros / year, you need to register as a business. But if you stay below 12.000, you don't need to. 

That's what I understood, but I'm not taking any responsability!

All the best,

Louis