Grill Cleaning

Inger5
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Grill Cleaning

Hello Airbnb community with outdoor grills! I am wondering how you manage the cleaning of your gas grills after guest stays and to what level of cleanliness your grills are kept. Do you ask that guests clean up the grill after they use it or do you or your house cleaner take care of the grill? I find that it takes a great deal of time and effort to clean our gas grill to the point that it truly looks clean, and I wonder what guests' expectations are in terms of how clean the grill is upon their arrival and who does the cleaning. What is the best way to handle this issue in your experience?

12 Replies 12
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Sounds like an unnecessary burdon to me - I probably just wouldn't include the grill in the listing.

An outdoor grill in an Aussie beach house is as essential as the roof! It has to be there.

We leave it very clean - yes a lot of work, but that sets the expectation. We leave good cleaning tools, and also provide foil roasting trays for roasting, veggies etc as our BBQ has a lid. About one in ten guests leave a huge mess, and so far we have just worn that. We have stayed in places that state a penalty for leaving the BBQ dirty, or have an extra charge if you use it (not a simple option on Airbnb). One guest even managed to sear the wall behind the BBQ. We still don't know how that happened, and had to repaint the wall.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inger5...Yeah that is a really interesting question Inger, thanks for raising it.

We are fortunate to have a barbeque that would scorch a hole in hell!! It gets seriously hot, and I insist that if a guest wants to use the grill they place aluminium foil (which is supplied in a roll next to the appliance) over the grill. I explain I am not trying to keep the barbeque in pristine condition....it is after all 23 years old but, as far as I am, concerned it is a health issue, and different people have a different idea of 'clean' and I want it to look super clean!!!

I do keep the plates totally covered with large ceramic tiles when not in use to deter vermin! You may think your grill is clean but I can assure you, you don't know who visits the plate in the night!!

Had a situation once where a group of us were sitting around the outdoor table having a chat when one of the group said...

"I just saw a rat climb up into your barbeque"!!!!

After I scraped myself off the floor I motioned to the guest next to the gas igniter to hit the button when I told him!

I turned on the gas valve and just waited for about 15 seconds and then told John to push the igniter.

Well, all hell broke loose, there was this substantial boom and the hood of the barbeque rose a couple of inches and this rat ran out with his tail on fire. Since then I am super clean where the Barbie is concerned and I want guests to be too!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 you made my day!

Fab story!!

MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

Try using a car engine cleaning solution that you will get from an auto shop. Put some in a spray bottle. It is a great degreaser anddisolves the fat easily. Then you can just wash it with normal dish wash liquid afterwards. I am a South African living in Botswana and barbeque or braai as we call it,  is a big thing for us too.

@MicheleandLouw0....Thanks for that guys, great constructive comment. Guests in general don't give a **bleep** how they leave a barbie but they sure give a 'rats' (Pardon the pun) how they find it!!

The only thing I would be a bit aprehensive about.....does it have any effect on the food? I wouldn't want my fine piece of Angus Eye fillet tasting like a mechanics workshop degreaser!!!

Cheers....Rob

That's why you clean it with normal dish washing liquid and water afterwards. That way there is not taste of the cleaning detergents. This is what I use. Engine cleaner for barbecue grid

I use it undiluted in a spray bottle. Works magic! Also to clean my bicycle chain 😉

@Robin4 I have posted a picture for you. It's water based so you just rinse the grill off afterwards.

@MicheleandLouw0....Yeah, I read from your first post that you cleaned the plate with detergent after using the de-greaser....but that was just my feeble attempt at a bit of humour!

There are some posts that rub me up the wrong way for one reason or another and I seem to have the need to possibly be a bit offensive with my answer....almost condecending. When I do that it is meant to make those people realise we can't rant about something if we have not taken the time to understand what we are doing before we do it!

In most of my posts I am either lighthearted or congratulatory and if I can make someone else smile well that's great!

But your point is taken and I may even try that. Most guests will use the foil I supply but every now and then there will be this fruitcake who decides a steak is not a steak if the raw flames have not turned it into a 'surfboard'!!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 I completely get it. Happy hosting 😉