Gripe-of-the-Day: Last-minute IB wants to alter 3-day to 2-day, avoiding min stay ...

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Gripe-of-the-Day: Last-minute IB wants to alter 3-day to 2-day, avoiding min stay ...

So tonight,  my fun is a somewhat sketchy (didn't answer my questions fully) day-before Instant Booking,   3 previous reviews;   listing was a 3-day minimum with moderate cancellation;  just after check-in we get:

"Hi Ken. I need to remove Tuesday to get a partial refund for it. Checking out Monday 11am the latest"

who then sends an alteration request removing 1/3rd of the price 'cause hey,  Monday nights are priced the same as Saturdays and Sundays,  right?

Not to mention that I had to pay someone $50 to come turn the room because he insisted on turning up exactly at check-in time ...

6 Replies 6
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Kenneth12 

Have you ACCEPTED the reservation request?

I realise if you don't you risk a bad review.

I did soemthing along similar lines recenlty - a 2 night stay, for 2, wanted to bring their 2 sons wanting separate rooms for 1 night only - meaning I had to make up 2 extra queen beds for only 30pp - not worth my while for a 1 night stay.

so  you could reply  similarly to me  saying, "My booking minimum is 3 nights,   - with set up and cleaning I lose money on anything less than a 3 night booking, so it's not financially viable for me.

Since you seem new to the platform and not really aware of  protocols and proceedures, I'll be accommodating this once. IJ ust to let you know though xxx that most hosts would really mark you down on stars for an last minute alteration request that violates their terms and conditions.  This would  make  it difficult for you to book quality accommodation  in the future as good hosts always check their guests ratings"

- you now have the upper hand - ( if not the money you should have) you've let him know he was out of order, you come across as incredibly understanding and generous and you've subtly let him know that there are repercussions for this sort of high handed behaviour - he doesn't hold all the power.   

might not help, certainly can't hurt

Instant Book  (IB).   Guest checked in earlier today;    the sort of guest profile and lack of responsiveness I probably would have used the IB cancellation policy for ("thin file") had I not been in town;  but as always,   reveals the weakness of allowing IB from thin accounts (accounts with few reviews etc).

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kenneth12 

We had exactly the something happen last year. I just replied that I was sorry but the listing had a 3 night minimum stay and they didn't challenge further. I was lucky in that they didn't bother to give me a review rather than giving me a bad review.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Kenneth12  Guests don’t know how abb pricing schemes work. And abb doesn’t refund taxes when reservations are adjusted. I’d just decline his adjustment and create my own adjustment giving him a nominal amount back. I also always give a firm time limit on such things. “Refund only on offer for adjustment accepted by 6pm. After that full charge will apply.”

Lots of choices exist: full refund, zero refund... only you know what makes sense for your setup & review needs

@Kelly149 :  yes;  I gave him a polite link to ABB's cancellation policies and noted that we had a 3-day minimum here,  etc.,  then provided him with a partial refund for the third day-- on my end,   as-far-as-I-can-tell,  ABB refunds Chicago taxes from my side of the interface.

By that time he had decided that he "needed to make it to work" in Iowa tomorrow,   so I think it worked out ... though I'm also pretty sure he realized that the calendar imposed a 3-day stay and booked anyway.

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I would (and have) said sorry, it's a 3 night minimum booking. You are welcome to leave early if you want to, but we can't refund you for unused time.