Gross Guests

Irina47
Level 6
Portland, OR

Gross Guests

My fellow hosts,

I just really need to hear your “worst nasty guest” stories because I just had a guest use my bedding as toilet paper... like poop straight up on my duvet. And I wish I could say this was the first one! What is wrong with some people!? I don’t even know how I could prevent something like this. Do I put in my house rules “please don’t poop on the bed”!? 

I have to say it is rare, like out of the nearly 300 guests that I’ve had, it’s happened maybe 5-times that a guest does something just so gross. 

So what’s your nasty guest story??  I would love to know! 🙂

21 Replies 21
Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

Eeeugh! Sorry to hear you experienced that @Irina47   it's gross and we hosts shouldn't have to go through that. It's life and sh1!t happens (sorry, I guess you're cleaning poop now) but it somehow seems worse for us regular hosts. I had a guest with dogs where the same thing happened to my garden. It's not as bad as your situation but I had a lot of clearing up to do after those animals, and lets just say my garden was suitably fertilised this year. I also had a couple of female guests leaving a reminder of their monthly ummm cycle too: it's life, I know and I totally understand - but it's not nice having to clear up afterwards. Very yuck. Happy hosting. 

Yes! Dude the period one, I feel ya !

@Irina47 Are you living nearby?

We for example live upstairs, and I have in my "house rules":

- Between 12pm and 5pm: Essentials will be checked on daily base and the host will vacuum guest space / remove garbage every 2nd day.

NOT because we like to vacuum sooooo much,

but it sounds much better than: WE WATCHING YOU    ;-)))

70 guests in 1y and till now, nothing happened!

Yes! This is really good advice! 

Feel free to see my house rules and copy whatever you need.

I think it's perfect to scare the crazy ones away and the good ones wouldn't have a problem to comply anyway.  😉

@Irina  Cant wait to read your review about them :-))))

Just happened today:

My first 4* overall rating (out of 66/5*), guest is pointing out that my place is in a Jewish/Caribbean Brooklyn neighbourhood.

All other than location (3*) and I got compliment for everything but "lokal tips" :-0

...I immediately reported to Airbnb!

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Our first week hosting (second or third guests) a young couple 'on vacation'  stayed in the small camper the entire weekend (went out once for an hour.)  When they left we found the RV toilet piled with feces layered with toilet paper.  They didn't know how to flush a RV toilet and rather than read the directions posted in the toilet seat they just  . . . didn't.

Since then I demo the flush apparatus while talking the guests through the differences between this and a 'flush toilet',  look the guests in the eye and say "we don't want to see any poop  in here  after you leave so please flush as long as needed using this foot pedal and this spray hose attachment from the nearby shower."

I also tell them if there is a problem to let us know right away so we can fix it before it compounds.

Nothing breaks the ice like saying the word poop several times to your new acquaintance.  Especially if they don't speak much English and don't understand the word poop.  Watch me pantomime pooping and flushing . . .

We discovered that we can say 'poop' or we can see poop.  We would rather say it.

I also show the guests where we keep the cleaning supplies and suggest that if there is 'something you need to clean' here is what you can use.

@City-Limits-Ranch0   Laugh of the day 🙂

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to reading these? I'm grateful to be able to say the worst I've experienced is a few mysterious, dried up dog turds under the bed. But I've only been hosting since May!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Not nearly as gross, but the one guest I had who left her room a totally pig sty (every single one of my other guests has left it super clean and tidy) sprang her boyfriend on me at the last minute. My listing is clearly for 1 guest only, but she was quite young, new to Airbnb and I had the distinct impression that she wasn't trying to pull a fast one, she just didn't realize that's not allowed. So I made an exception, as they were happy to squish into the single bed together and they were really quite sweet. He had been out of the country and they hadn't seen each other in 6 months, so they seemed to spend at least half the day in bed having fun (they were quiet about it, though).

But in addition to all the garbage, empty beer cans, pop bottles, food wrappers, wet wadded up towels, and other mess, there were about 50 wadded up pieces of toilet paper under the bed. Rubber glove time, for sure.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The two French couples on the picnic table in a foursome grossed out my mrs. so much when she heard about it from passing tour boats, we ended up giving it away to our 'friends' in a neighboring island. It was such a nice table too.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

My friends were staying in a hotel and woke up in the morning to their 5 year old, who'd been playing under the bed, standing next to the bed, asking "What's this, Daddy?", a used condom dangling from her fingers. 

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Irina47  I hope you say exactly what happened in your review - I don't want them staying in my place!!