Guard Dogs are Not Pets

Lynn21
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Guard Dogs are Not Pets

As a Superhost, I like to ensure our suite is exactly as seen, if not better, they are greeted, given a tour of the space plus safety & security measures.

When arriving in Playa Del Carmen our host greeted us in a road and building under construction, shown to a private suite with a door that cannot close and told to stay away from the main house because her guard dog is dangerous and is a Doberman. We tried to see that gated communities are part of many international cities and we tried to live with it, until she lost control of her animal.

Do you believe hosts should declare if they have a working guard dog on duty? The Resolution Center told me the onus is on me as a guest to ask Hosts with pets whether they are a guard dog!

What do other Hosts think?
7 Replies 7
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Lynn21 Ah, I would tend to disagree with the customer service rep.  I think if a dog is dangerous, guard dog or not, the host has an obligation to disclose that fact.  That's a lawsuit waiting to happen!

I guess my main concern is that working animals have a different role than a pet. I know there is a way to introduce a new person to a guard dog so they don't see you as a threat. This was not done for us, so either the guard dog was not trained properly or the Host also felt she needed to protect herself from guests. We were 2 women travelling together. This dog got loose, deemed us as a threat as we slept and tried to get at us, luckily we did not get hurt.

I want to ensure no other Guest is put in this situation without foreknowledge or consent prior to booking into a property with a Strict cancellation policy.
Stina2
Level 1
New York, United States

I have a no pet rules at my listing. Should I specify that, No dog / gaurd dog and cats are not allowed? I have a guest who didn’t mentioned that they are coming in with a guard dog, The space is shared with other guest who is not nervous to leave his bedroom because he saw that theirs a guard dog in the apt. Pls help. What should I do? Should I confront the guest who brought a guard dog in without even notifying me despite my house rules? 

Thank you. 

@Stina2 Hmm. I would not think that guard dogs are covered undere the Service Dog rules.  I'd advise calling Airbnb to see what your options are.  Personally, I would not accept a guard dog, especially if I had other guests on the premises.  No telling what the level of training this dog has and how the owner handles the dog.  You can call here: 

+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

What a terrible situation.  You really are in a hard place.

You must do the adult thing.  The guest with dog has broken your rules. The guest with dog is bothering the other guest.

You must kick out the guest with dog or negogiate ($$) with the other guest to leave.

There is a high risk the guest with dog is a scammer, abusing the service animal exception.

Try to get proof that the dog is a guard dog, specifically a written text from the other guest saying he is afraid.

Good luck

@Lynn21 What a terrible and terrifying situation you were put in. Completely unacceptable. And very poor judgement on the part of the hosts, who would have been liable if something bad happened to you.   It is the responsibility of the dog’s owner to reveal any issues  with the dog. Nobody has time to be a mind-reader. Best of luck to you going forward. 

Thanks so much! I believe Airbnb has now instituted a program whereby people declare whether their property has a pet or guard dog but this may change based on your country, not sure.

I have to say that I know the difference between a pet & a weapon as someone who used to work for the RCMP in Canada. Someone who says they gave a pet but actually has a poorly trained guard dog should not be on Airbnb.