Guest Access: RemoteLock from Lock State--Beware

Kristi2
Level 1
Philippines

Guest Access: RemoteLock from Lock State--Beware

I am writing this for other hosts as they consider how they would like to manage his or her property. This is an honest review, from an actual LockState customer and is meant to assist other hosts.

We purchased the LockState/RemoteLock as a way to better manage our property after the unpleasant experience a couple of guests either showing up well before check-in time or leaving well after check-out time (in one case, refusing to leave, which panicked our cleaners because we had other guests arriving the same day).

The problems started from the beginning. The lock arrived in May of 2017, in non-working order (two of the several wires were pinched, and it would not connect to the wifi). After several phone calls to the customer service helpline, they finally agreed to send me a new lock. Unfortunately, I live in a different location than my vacation rental, and they could not get me a new one for nearly a month--well after I was gone. I had them send it to me nonetheless and fixed the wires temporarily until I could get back in December (seven months later). After fixing the wires, the locked seemed to be functioning well enough, which was great, because it requires an extra hole in the door, which would have shown had I been forced to put the old lock back on.

Fast forward to September, and we received a frantic call from our guests that were locked out three hours early. Fortunately, the guests found another way into the unit and were great about working with me so I could figure out why the lock malfunctioned. It turned out, the time stamp on the lock had somehow changed. Though it was set to the correct time (HST) the time stamp was approximately 2.5 hours off.

After sending several emails and leaving many messages with LockState's customer service, we finally received an email. We provided the information they requested, but it took another set of phone calls and emails to their support team (and as a last resort, a call to Airbnb to see if they could help) before they got back to us with a "solution." I say solution because as soon as we typed in the reset code, they provided us, the unit went dead. We had replaced the batteries seconds before typing in the code (they were at 50% and needed to be replaced anyway) but the system said the batteries were completely dead. Our cleaner went out and bought a second brand new pack of batteries, but within minutes, those too were dead.

We again reached out to LockState and have yet to receive an explanation or fix the problem. I had to hire an electrician to install the lock with the replacement they sent me, but even the new lock doesn't work. We have had to make copies of the key and have had to provide the last three guests with a copy.

Considering this is the most expensive lock, by several hundred dollars, the lock only worked for three months, and their customer service and tech support have thus far proven terrible, I would advise you do your homework before even considering switching to this lock.

We have had to provide compensation to guests because of the lockouts, pay our cleaners an extra fee for the extra trips to the store to replace the batteries and to hand out a key to the guests, and an electrition to install a new lock that has yet to work. If we had received a defective product (even as it was the second one in a row) but had been more attentive with their service and solutions, we likely would never have had cause to warn other Airbnb owners or Airbnb host support. Unfortunately, we have been left with a VERY expensive manual door lock. Not only that, but we still need to find a new product to replace it with, figure out how to repair the door (with the extra hole that the ResortLock required for installation) and contact our credit card company to see if we can at least get a refund for the product. We are still out the additional funds for all of the repair work, guest compensation but not trying to recover the almost $600USD the lock cost would be silly at this point.

It is a very unfortunate situation, one I hope to warn other property owners and managers about so they can avoid the same issues with this company (including the effect it's had our guest reviews).

Best,
Kristi

10 Replies 10
Kat17
Level 10
Boston, MA

Thank you for taking the time to warn other hosts, @Kristi2.  You’ve given some very good reasons to avoid using lock state, and i appreciate it. 

Have you found a remote lock that you like? If and when you do, will you share that with us please? Thank you.

Hi, Kat.

I will definitely let others know if I find a quality system that I can manage remotely (no luck yet, as I am just getting back to the drawing board). I would love to hear suggestions from other hosts if they have a product and company they have had success with.

Best,

Kristi

Joanne-Flynn0
Level 9
Phoenicia, NY

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community.  I'm just starting to look into a lock for my property and will make sure this is not on the list. 

Also I will share what I find. 

Joanne 

I HAVE HAD VERY GOOD LUCK WITH A LOCK CALLED IRIS. I HAVE THE GUEST SEND ME A 4 DIGIT NUMBER, WHICH WE HAVE PUT IN MANY DIFFERENT STATES AS WE TRAVEL AND GET REQUESTS ON THE ROAD. I GET NOTIFIED EACH TIME THEY USE THEIR CODE IE..WHEN THEY ARRIVE I THAN CANCEL WHEN THEY LEAVE. YOU DO NEED WIFI @The0 HOME TO MAKE THIS WORK,ALSO I CONTROL THE HEAT AND A/C  WHEN THEY LEAVE OR BEFORE THEY ARRIVE WITH A THERMOSTAT IRIS CONTROLLER AND OUTSIDE CAMERA AIMED @ MY SWIMMING POOL AND HOT TUB AND HAVE SPENT ABOUT $300 total for door lock THERMOSTAT AND camera,THEY threw the hub in for free and purchased @ LOWES HARDWARE STORE.

Thanks for this info.  I have not heard of this one before.  Will check it out. 

Madison17
Level 2
Charleston, SC

I literally almost got a RemoteLock myself a few weeks ago... thank goodness I didn't! So sorry to hear about the horrible experience you had with it, and of course thank you for this post to warn other hosts! I went ahead and got an AirLocking lock instead, and I absolutely LOVE it! It syncs directly to my AirBNB calendar, sends guests emails with key code and instructions as soon as they book a stay, disables codes at time of check out (and accurately lol), and auto updates itself for me. I don't have to do a thing or have to worry about keys or anything myself, it's awesome. Please check it out, I promise that from what I've experienced with AirLocking, you'll be nothing short of amazed and happy with it... especially when compared to this situation you've had with the Remote Lock. 

Here's a link for all of you to check it out, I HIGHLY recommend this lock!! 

https://www.amazon.com/AirLocking-Smart-Lock-for-AirBNB/dp/B0759NPC5Y/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=airloc...

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

I wanted to buy one to make it easy to but my Dad said no 

1) you can trust computers and wifi 

Tom-and-Christen0
Level 4
Pennsylvania, United States

We enjoyed a Remotelock for a few months but they just "upgraded" their online dashboard and stripped nearly all function from the basic subscription plan and now raised the price 6x. Beware.

Kevin990
Level 1
Lakewood, CO

We too had to have a 2nd lock overnighted to us. The first lock did not have a serial number with it. Without the serial number to access the algorithm from their website, it was measly a $100 lock from Lowe’s/Home Depot. They did overnight a replacement lock, but still no serial number sticker adhered to back of lock- after disassembling the lock, we found a tiny piece of paper folded up inside the tumbler assembly area and low and behold, it was the serial number. After all said and done, we will stick with it since it came highly recommended. But would not go through it again knowing what we now know.

Susan-and-Thomas0
Level 3
South Padre Island, TX

Has anyone found a smart lock that works consistently in a beach environment?  We had the Lockstate 6i and it was great for about a year.  The convenience of programming it was worth investing in another - now a 7i.  However, the first 7i they sent was defective.  It took over a month for a replacement.  The second one was installed in April and in October just quit working again.  I cannot believe the customer service and support with this company.  It is the WORST I have ever come across.  I have been trying to get help with this for the last 3 days - while we are at the property, which is about 5 hours from our primary residence.  I cannot get ANY support.  For now, having to use a manual lock box, but really looking for a lock that I can program from anywhere and doesn't quit working in a few months.  What a waste of time and money this Lockstate lock has been.