Guest Booking And Not Staying Full Time

Daniel1992
Level 10
Downingtown, PA

Guest Booking And Not Staying Full Time

Ok, everyone.  Just looking for a discussion on this and how you guys handled it in a Private Room setting.

I had a guest who booked for all of October.  He is a local guy, and told me he booked my place because he's going through a divorce but his buddy offered him to stay at his place after he had booked (I did tell him that he could cancel the reservation and only pay for one day instead of the month, but he refused).  Here's his timeline:

Checked in on the 1st, left for the weekend on the 5th.

Came back on the 9th, left again on the 12th.

Returned on the 15th, left again on the 19th.

Returned on the 23th, checked out on the 27th.

So of his 30 nights reserved, he stayed for 15 of them.  It cost him $511.20 for the month.  Had he booked just the days he stayed, it would have been roughly the same, however, I would have had more days open on my calendar.

How do you guys handle this type of situation?

9 Replies 9
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

If he’s not asking for a refund I wouldn’t worry about it. Perhaps he didn’t want to overburden his buddy?

The place was booked so he’s responsible. 

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

sounds like you are giving waaaay too big of a discount for a full month.  If staying 15 days costs the same as a full month then you are giving a 50% discount?  Thats why he went ahead and booked the whole month, so he could come and go as he pleased without having to worry about check in times and since it cost home the same amount he figured why not just have the convenience of having the place all month long.  I mean, its fine if you are ok with it.  At least you didn't have to deal with all the extra cleaning and linens associated with multiple guests.  Plus you have no additional utility expenses when he is not there.  

So, a little clarification.  Had I adjusted the reservation, it would have added $200 for leaving 4 days early.  He booked prior to me fully adjusting my rates and discounts (yay Smart Pricing!), so there's a little bit of a false comparison.  I guess I'm just looking to see what others have done in this situation.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Daniel1992   It seems like the only real issue for you here is that you could have made more money if you'd been able to book the days he didn't stay to other guests. So, like Ned and Laura said, it's a matter of adjusting the discount for month long stay.

I seem to remember you stating somewhere that you're a financial guy, so it shouldn't be difficult to figure out what you could have made if you rented the room to other guests for 15 days, deducting the costs of cleaning, doing laundry, providing toilet paper, soap, and whatever other amenities you offer, and utilities. Plus whatever you value your time at for greeeting new guests, orienting them to the apartment, dealing with all their quirks and questions, etc. 

It didn't really trigger how much I was hosing myself with that discount when I realized that the gentleman who stayed with me for 17 days made me about $50 MORE than this last reservation.  If he booked now for a full month, it would be $986.

I do have to be a little bit more clear with my question.  It's more of a "how to I review him" in the proper categories, as opposed to "do I charge him more".

@Daniel1992  I'm not sure what you're asking as far as how do you review him. I don't see how it's any different than reviewing a guest who stayed the whole time. I can't see that he did anything wrong as far as only staying 15 days out of the 30 he booked, and he was forthcoming about his reasons for booking, as well as being offered to stay with his buddy, who it sounds like he just didn't want to overly impose on.

If I'm not understanding what your question about reviewing is, feel free to clarify.

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

why would you review him poorly?  Did he make a mess?  damage the place?  break house rules?  He booked for the month and he should be allowed to stay or not stay during that time.  The fact that you could have made more money if he booked fewer days is not his fault and should not reflect on your review of him.  

I asked how I should review him.  I wasn't trying to imply I was defaulting to reviewing him poorly.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Daniel1992

I had a young women stay for a little under 2 months in my in-law apartment. During the first part of her visit to the US she met a boyfriend in the Boston area. So while she was staying with me I would drive her to the bus station most Fridays and she would travel to spend the weekend with him. Even though she was a very low maintenance guest it still felt like I was on a mini vacation those weekends. I didn't have to worry about the Airbnb or my guest at all but I still got paid. It’s nice to have that peace of mind once in awhile.