Guest Brings Unauthorized Visitor

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Guest Brings Unauthorized Visitor

This is one of the most common things that happen to hosts (by reading this forum). My current guest is doing it today (they are the guests in the entire unit that I have). It looks like these guests are here to visit their family member and these unauthorized guests are the family members that live nearby. I did not feel like "kicking them out" in person when I met them (I found out when I came downstairs to give more extra toilet paper). So, I asked her what is going on and she said that the other 2 people only there to visit. I went upstairs and sent a message right away to ensure that there is a record of this in the airbnb system:

Hi X, It was nice to meet you! 🙂 A kind reminder that only authorized guests are allowed on the premises/property. No unauthorized guests/visitors are allowed on the property at all time (day/night). This information is available in the house rules that was informed and agreed to prior to the booking. In case that you forgot/not aware, I'm making an exception only for tonight that a couple of your family members come visit you in the unit. Their curfew is 10pm. Please let me know if you have any questions. Best, Farah

I don't like the fact that I need to be in this situation (kind of feel "guilty" to kick people who actually do not belong here in the first place). So, for those of you who are dealing with this, you are not alone. And maybe you can also use a similar message draft that I use.

19 Replies 19
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

It works! The extra 2 people left on time at 10pm 🙂

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

@Farah1 I think you handled this really well. It's a good model to go by.

Christopher231
Level 1
Manassas, VA

hey Farah, thats a great idea, your policy. Yes I had the same problem. Pretty soon the whole downstairs were filled with friends! Uhhh!! Thanks

Chris

Alexia40
Level 2
Montego Bay, Jamaica

Hi everyone. 

Is it wrong that to deal with visitors; I charge each person $25 after 24hrs?

Louise-And-John1
Level 2
Kingston, Canada

First of all, check-in time at uour AirB&B starts at 3 pm.  Yesterday, October 20, 2 young woman had reserved for one night.  At around 11 am Saturday, 3 women appeared and I reminded them that only 2 people fit in that bed and the reservation is only for 2 people.  They said that their friend wanted to see the room.  We have a keypad entry. When I first saw them outside, one of them said that they did not know how it works.  Well, the AirB&B site showed that the one name K. had been a member since 2016.  J. is her friend.  The 3rd one, do not know the name.

They came back after midnight and had difficulty opening the sliding door.  They banged the door, they woked me up and John and the other guest.  They said they could not figure out the patio sliding door.  I saw the same friend again and I said : what is she doing here.  Their answer was: She lost her key.  I replied that's a lie.  OK, go upstairs but do not expect breakfast.  They left the place clean, did not destroy anything, did not have a shower, did not asked for extra blankets.

How should I write a review for these young woman (all studying at university: either Queen's U in Kingston and McGill in Montreal)??  My goal is to make it known that we do not want a repeat of this kind of behavior.  Help me put it to rest and at the same time not to leave a vengeful review.  We would like to foster better behavior.

@Louise-And-John1 "My friend only wanted to see how nicely decorated your space is!" was a common excuse by guests. I am not hosting an HGTV show, nor are guests property docents. If guests want to check out the decor, they should book the space. 

Donna1263
Level 2
Hinton, Canada

Hi folks- it’s my first time as an Air BnB host and I am not familiar with how to post new questions so perhaps this is ok? I had one guest book - and then found out there are 4 people coming. The reservation is under either a Cantonese or Mandarin name, and the photo is of a man. When I asked how to pronounce their name, they replied Kira, which I think is a female name. Anyway, she texted me that there were 4 people coming but she is still listed as only one guest. I am not super comfortable with this but am not sure if I should ask her to change the reservation to reflect the correct number of guests, and perhaps their names, or cancel the reservation or just leave it go? It doesn’t exceed the maximum number of people I allow. I live in my home so share the space with guests. Advice?  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can go in and change the booking to four people and ask the guest to approve the change @Donna1263 

you can also ask the guest to confirm whether the lead guest is make or female 

Thank you Helen3! I will do just that.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Farah1 @Helen3  is bang on, the guest needs to know that the price is different if jumping from 1 guest to 4  and accept the change.  

They may not realise there’s an increased cost or that they’ve not put the correct number of guests on the booking.  Either way you’re going to have to take the lead on this one by asking them to accept the modification you send through and for them to include the other guests on the booking by adding their email addresses after the booking has been amended.

Thanks for explaining that Amanda. That’s what I thought. It certainly costs me more to host 4 people than 1. I will modify the booking.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Dear @Donna1263 🙂 I think you might have listed your home the wrong way if you are sharing your home? Currently it shows as a full private home - meaning guests won’t share it with anyone also not the host. If you rent out bed rooms in your own private home you need to list it as private rooms. Otherwise people will book it thinking they will get it all for themselves. 
best, Sandra 

Hi Sandra. Do you mean guests will think that they are not sharing the space with me? I do not mix different groups of people in the house at the same time, and they do have use of most of the house (not my bedroom or my office). 

Hi @Donna1263 🙂

Yes, you have listed it as a whole private listing. If you share the place it should be listed as a private room (or several private rooms but for 1 set of guests). When people search now - your listing will show up as completely private. So if you got any bookings then I would write your guests to make sure they know you are living there (guests are known for not reading a thing in the description area). And you need to change your listing so it says private rooms instead of whole house. I don’t think that is possible if you got any current or upcoming reservations. But then snooze this listing and make a new correct one. Just noticed it so wanted to tell you 🌿. Beautiful place you got btw 🙂