Guest Broke 3 glasses and refuses to pay

Silvia13
Level 1
Quito, Pichincha, Ecuador

Guest Broke 3 glasses and refuses to pay

Hi Everyone,

I rented my beach house and guests borke 3 glasses of wine. I asked the guess to pay for the broken glasses and they refuse to pay arguing that in hotels no one ever charges for a broken glass. I dont know how to deal with this if it happens to me again.

Any answers would help 🙂

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

I guess this is where a security deposit comes in.  Not sure you can force them to pay but if your so inclined you could mention this when you review them.  

Perhaps inexpensive glasses are in order so that its not a financial hardship to replace them. 

We would not try to charge them. Accidents happen and are part of doing business. 

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Silvia13,

Have you put in a claim using the resolution center (assuming this is within 48 hours of them checking out)?  I noticed that you do have a security deposit.  If it is important to you, you shoulld put in a claim especially since she is not denying breaking the glasses by saying hotels don't charge for broken glasses.

I do agree with @Jennifer-And-Brian0 though.  This is not something we charge for unless we thought it was done on purpose.  I also agree that I would include it as part of your review and maybe state that "I would not host this guest again and they would be better suited for a hotel".

Cheers

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

I would grumble with my husband about it, and be a bit put off, but I would then chalk it up to doing business.  Luckily we have an Ikea a short drive away so wine glasses can be replaced cheaply.

I would classify broken wine glasses (pity it's three of them) as normal wear/tear.  The same as I would think about a stained sheet.  Cost of doing business.

Ernie0
Level 10
San Francisco, CA

Hi Silvia, 

Broken stemware is not normal wear and tear. Furthermore, were I a guest in someone's home and I broke three of their wine glasses, I would want to replace it as I think many other guests would as well. That said, I would order a three matching wineglasses online, take a screenshot of the order confirmation, including price of shipping and handling and submit that total to Airbnb as a claim against the guest's security deposit. I'm certain that Airbnb will reimburse you the amount you are due.

Best, 
Ernie Thayer