Guest Canceled on Day 18 of 72-day stay... Airbnb has not paid

Guest Canceled on Day 18 of 72-day stay... Airbnb has not paid

Guest canceled on Day 18 of 72 day stay after she dropped out of a summer internship. I was paid for first 30 days. Guest is obligated to pay for days 31-48 according to long term policy requiring 30-day notice. Airbnb said they tried to collect payment from guest but unsuccessful. I rebooked only 2 of those days. Payment of $406 shows pending from guest, but Airbnb says they will not pay me unless they collect from guest. I don't understand. If Airbnb has an automatic long term policy, why did they not collect the money to enforce that policy beforehand?

17 Replies 17
Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

@Anonymous  .. even better.

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

@Elena87  .. but you could easily make a personal offer.

Carol5327
Level 2
Sydney, AU

@Pamela619 I just had a similar experience with long term guests who booked for 4.5 months. From the day they arrived (1 week late) to the day they left, they did not stop complaining. I attended to all their issues but I could see that these people were not going to be satisfied, so I suggested to them that they cancel if they were not happy, and finally they did, 10 days later.

The booking is supposed to be covered under the long term cancellation policy which means that they would be charged an additional 30 days after the cancellation date. What the guests did, however, was cancel or change their payment details, so that Airbnb has not been able to withdraw the final amount that is owning. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Airbnb have told me that the matter is with the collections department. After reading several posts, I am not sure how effective the collections department is?

If this is an ongoing issue with Airbnb then they should be deducting 2 months in advance for long term bookings, to protect hosts from this type of behavior. Otherwise the Long Term Cancellation Policy is ineffective.