Guest Cancellation

Daniel63
Level 1
New York, NY

Guest Cancellation

Hello - a guest requested that I cancel a reservation because they preferred to continue to search even though they booked my apartment. After complying with their cancellation request, my calendar is blocked out! Why should I be penalized for the guest requesting a cancellation? Please advise!!

Daniel

4 Replies 4
Debi1
Level 10
Portland, OR

Daniel, there is a place in your listing settings where you can opt to not block the calendar when a guest cancels.  You can also go back into your calendar, highlight the days you want to be available and click that in the box that shows the dates.  Play around with your calendar page and you'll find it.

My other suggestion is that you seldom if ever, agree to cancel a reservation!  If you are going for Superhost status, it negates  your possibility of acceptance.  Instead, agree with the guest that they can cancel, but ask them to do it.  Otherwise it affects your rankings.

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Actually you can’t unblock those dates, Airbnb penalise host who cancel reservations, that’s just their policy; see the policy via the link - https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/990/how-do-host-cancellation-penalties-work

You must never cancel on behalf of a guest, tell them to do it themselves.

Fiona2
Level 7
Pasadena, CA

@Daniel63, you don't act on a guest's request to cancel, you direct them to cancel with Airbnb. My understanding is there are popups asking you as the host if you are sure you want to cancel and advising you of your penalties - did you not notice those?

Airbnb has several options of cancellation penalties for the host, including fining you and blocking the dates on your calendar. This is your third cancellation in the last two months according to your reviews. You should probably get up to speed on the policies before you have any more problems.

John212
Level 3
San Francisco, CA

I have had a couple of guests make a reservation, and then ask me to cancel the reservation.  My answer is always ..NO...., you will need to contact airbnb and cancel yourselves, as the host is penalized for cancelling reservations. Its an easy , clean, way to host. If the guest tells you that airbnb will keep a fee,..simply explain you have nothing to do with this. They are responsible for Their Relationship with Airbnb, just as WE are responsible for OUR relationship with airbnb.   Memorize it, and your life will stay much easier.  You may be surprised, that the guest decides not to cancel, and proceeds with their reservation plans.  John