Guest Checkout Out Without Cancelling In Tool (After A Ton Of Drama)

Graylynne0
Level 2
Redmond, WA

Guest Checkout Out Without Cancelling In Tool (After A Ton Of Drama)

I'm a first time ABB hoster who is traumatized by my first experience hosting.  I'll spare folks the details but short version is Guest booked a long term stay (9/1/20-11/24/20).  After a major incident with another guest he had invited (and who left ~2 weeks into their stay) apparently the primary Guest reached out to airbnb (without letting me know at all) and told them that he decided to leave early.   However this guest has NOT cancelled his remaining stay officially using the AirBnB tool.   Additionally, AirBnB informed me that the payout for the primary guest is not able to be collected (even though this guest agreed to my "strict policy" which gave this Guest a $7000 discount for his 84 nt stay...Originally $12,000 and I gave it to him for $5000).  

While I am extremely upset by this guests action and behavior which included (attempting to sub-lease my home, apparent violent death threats between him and his guest, and now backing out of his committed payment of 84 nights) I'm concerned that if  I cancel the remaining ~65 nights that AirBnB will not allow me to book my home for the months of October thru November.   

BTW, attempting to call AirBnB's Community Support (and even email back and forth with them on so many issues with this entire incident) has been an absolutely HORRIBLE experience.  Their staff, replies, and ability to communicate with clarity and actionable next steps has been totally unacceptable.   

Any advice for a brand new, first time host like me? Here's a few photos/discussions for the record of this primary guest (Chris) who I would absolutely not recommend ANYONE  to host.     **

**Private conversation removed

19 Replies 19
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Graylynne0 

I'm very sorry to hear you had such a bad experience from your very first time hosting. No doubt you will get a lot of responses from hosts telling you that hosting long-term guests is complete madness. As a long-term host, I wanted to give you my perspective.

1. Firstly, the nay-sayers might be right. Are you aware of the laws regarding tenants' rights in your area? In many places, a guest that stays over a certain number of days (e.g. 28) obtains these rights and it's really not a simple process to evict them if they stop paying or are a big problem in another way. Therefore, do make sure you know your rights as a landlord (not just an Airbnb host) to avoid that situation. I know that is not your current problem, i.e. you had a guest leave early rather than overstay, but it's worth thinking about for the future, especially in regards to my next point.

2. Airbnb might take their own fees upfront, but they collect the accommodation payments from the guest monthly before transferring them to you. So, the booking goes ahead providing Airbnb can collect their that first payment. After that, a dishonest guest can simply cancel the payment method they used and Airbnb are unable to collect and will not cover you the host for that loss. 

3. Why on earth are you discounting from £12,000 to $5,000? Is this based on Airbnb recommendations? If so, ignore them. I know it's tempting to offer low prices as a new host, but the Airbnb recommendations are nonsense. What are you basing your prices on? Have you researched the local competition? Have you worked out what you need to cover costs? Base your prices on what is both desirable but also reasonable. A low price/huge discounts may attract less than desirable guests, whereas an overblown starting price will disadvantage you in the search results. I offer a 10% weekly discount and a 15% monthly discount and I have a Strict policy. A Strict policy does not give guests discounts and, anyway, it's irrelevant because Airbnb's long-term policy overrides that and applies to any stays of 28 days or more.

4. DO NOT initiate the cancellation from your end as there are numerous penalties (including financial) when a host cancels. You need to get Airbnb to cancel this reservation for you penalty free. I know that getting help from customer services right now is a nightmare. They are understaffed since COVID cut backs and a lot of them seem poorly trained. Persist. You have evidence that the guest has left. If the guest is refusing to cancel, Airbnb should do it, not you.

5. In future, make sure you vet guests as best you can, especially long-term ones. Ask questions, check out reviews, require verified Govt ID, whatever you can and have very clearly stated house rules that the guests must acknowledge they accept in writing to you via the Airbnb messaging system. Although I use Instant Book, I would not recommend it for new hosts. Stick to request bookings for starters.

I wish you luck with getting your calendar unblocked and hope that you have a string of lovely guests from now on. My experience is that these nightmare guests come along once in a while, but are not the norm, otherwise I wouldn't still be doing this years down the line!

@Huma0  Thank you so much for this!  Let's just say I had a much longer reply to you and in classic AirBnB style when I clicked "reply" I got an error message that deleted it all.  

Net net, agree on so many points,  I had done many of the things you'd suggested (but clearly not enough), and lesson learned on my end.  Fingers crossed over here. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You are new and you took on a 84-day reservation = the highest risk for a living, breathing disaster like this one.

Yes, my days of playing Evil Knievel will have to dial back a bit as I get my new hosting feet wet. 

Hahaha..best that this happened right off the bat, you will never fall for that one again. The scammers always zoom to the first-timers. The common hustle is book for a long stay, get a great price and stay a short time, as they planned all along.

Ann3
Level 10
Savannah, GA

I'm sorry this happened to you. It's a terrible feeling to be treated this way, and the guest sounds like a real piece of work. Yuck.

If it happened to me, I would set aside a few hours and call Airbnb CS, staying on the line until you talk to a human. If the human you get at first isn't helpful, ask for a different human higher up the chain. DO NOT CANCEL (as others have advised. . . ). 

Keep your story simple, clear, and based in fact. Give them your side of the story as succinctly and plainly as possible. Don't get into peripheral issues, etc. Just the facts, with the ultimate goal of (1) getting him cancelled and out of your house and (2) unblocking your calendar so you can book those dates. It's very important to tell them what you need them to do to get this resolved.

Also, seriously consider having someone who lives nearby help you with your hosting/managing. That person could potentially check on the house or assist with anything that needs taking care of if you are not available. 

Finally, consider carefully vetting your guests. You can read around in this forum for ways to do that. Most of us use a combination of a few direct questions and intuition to decide whether to let a guest book or not. There seem to be a lot of scammers and crazy people booking right now. You can find out a lot about someone from whether they inquire politely and respectfully. Just saying.

Good luck, and let us know what happened.

@Ann3 - Thank you for taking the time to respond!  I applied several of this after finally hearing back from AirBnB per my latest reply to @Sarah977 .  

FWIW, I do have a team to help with the property  that I now think I’ll increase their ask to check on the property within proper guideline and policies of course.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Graylynne0  the most simple way to resolve this blocked-calendar-problem and terrible-CS is to snooze your listing and open a new one 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0 - Thank you for the solution.  While this may have been a path to least resists there was some good things about not “snoozing” after finally getting to speak with ABB for almost 2 hours.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Branka-and-Silvia0  So nice to see you!  Is it possible @Graylynne0 has already taken your advice?  I tried to see his listing but nothing showed up...

@Ann72 - Not only did I consider their advice I did apply many of the other amazing hosters recommendations.

Thank you for taking the time to review and reply.

Good luck @Graylynne0!  You'll have much better guests after this!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Graylynne0 There is no such thing as guests of guests. Anyone who stays in your home is your guest. So keep that firmly in mind. If a guest books for two people, that's fine, but they are both your guests, not one the guest of the other. Do not give guests the leeway to invite other people over who haven't paid you to stay. State in your listing that no unregistered guests or visitors will be allowed on the property. 

Now if you have a guest in residence who you have determined is a nice, decent human being who can be trusted, and they ask if they could have a friend over for a couple of hours one day, that's up to you. That's the sort of thing you can play by ear. But don't leave that open right off the bat, or leave it open to interpretation. And if you approve a couple hour daytime visit, make sure that doesn't turn into an overnight, or an every day thing. 

Graylynne0
Level 2
Redmond, WA

Thank you everyone for your advice (and empathy for all my rookie mistakes). 

The saga continues....even after I  JUST spoke to an ABB so called "support rep" who said they can't do anything but refer things back to the "Case Manager" over this issue.  Yes,  you are reading things correctly somehow when the rep named "Junior" cancelled the reservation he also issued him all of the September refund.  Keep in mind prior to the guest booking, and of course starting his stay as of 9/1/20, the guest had agreed to my "Strict No Refund" set up in the tool.  

At this point I'm just going to put the Guests name out there based on all the hardship he has put me in right off the bat.   I'm doing my best to be as patient and reserved as possible however I'm at my tipping point. **

**Sensitive information removed