Guest Complaint - Excessive Construction Noise

Answered!
Tom541
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Guest Complaint - Excessive Construction Noise

Hi Guys,

A guest checked in today at our villa.  The same afternoon I received a guest complaint about the level of noise from construction next door.  I was sent a video through by the guest and the noise level seems excessive (angle grinder for example).  Even I failed to notice this doing my routine pre-check in tour of the villa.  It appears the noise started after they checked in.

Usually our place is very peaceful and quiet so this is unexpected and clearly out of my control however I do sympathise with the guest.

The guest is reasonable and communicating well but I feel there is little I can do to resolve this.

The guest is staying 7 nights from today.

What should I suggest in this instance?

I would rather they cancel and stay elsewhere if staying resulted in an awful review due to excessive noise which is very much out of my control.  

I do have an alternative property of similar standard which will is actually available immediately so I could offer them a complimentary "upgrade" to the other property which is free from noise and construction.  Is this permitted via Air BnB?

Kind Regards

Tom

1 Best Answer

@Tom541   It would be appropriate for you to contact each future guest to advise of the noise that commenses at 8 and ends at ?? each day.  For many, depending on what time they awaken each day and what they plan to do, it may not be a problem and they would choose to go forward with the reservation.  Perhaps you would offer a small discount as incentive and recognition of the continued reservation.  If any want to cancel, you should speak with an Air BNB rep to cancel with host extenuating circumstances so you will not be penalized and I believe the guest will also get Air BNB fees refunded.  Good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Tom541
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi guys just an update.

Our Guest complained again this morning about the excessive noise from construction next door from 8am.

They stated they contacted Air BnB and checked today at 1200 noon.  I have agreed to refund them 6 from 7 nights.

They also confirmed they will leave me a positive review based on their overall experience.  She mentioned she was also an Air BnB superhost (i didn't realise) so she fully understands my position.

The loss of earnings is a hard hit to take but guest satisfaction and consistently high ratings is more important for me so I will chalk this one off and move forward.

The only concern now is how to handle future guests.  We have bookings over the next month and I fear I may have repeat complaints.  The building work looks like it could be some months! Any advice how to handle this?

Thank you for your all help and advice - it is much appreciated.

Tom

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Tom541 I would suggest to disclose in your listing description about the potential noise so that guests are aware when they decide on whether to book or not. Also you should inform your guests in your existing reservations about the new situation and work with them on a compromise so that both parties are satisfied. 

Tom541
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you for the advice - What would you consider a reasonable compromise?

Do you offer an additional rebate? If so is this paid in cash or rebated directly through Air BnB?  Sorry I am not familiar with the processes given the circumstances.

@Tom541   It would be appropriate for you to contact each future guest to advise of the noise that commenses at 8 and ends at ?? each day.  For many, depending on what time they awaken each day and what they plan to do, it may not be a problem and they would choose to go forward with the reservation.  Perhaps you would offer a small discount as incentive and recognition of the continued reservation.  If any want to cancel, you should speak with an Air BNB rep to cancel with host extenuating circumstances so you will not be penalized and I believe the guest will also get Air BNB fees refunded.  Good luck!

Anne1654
Level 1
Gold Coast, Australia

I have construction going on behind my place I have made quests aware of the noise 

Tom541
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

How do guests react for this? Have you received any cancellations?

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Tom541, it is always good to make all guests aware but also keep in mind that noise does not affect all people the same. In my case, over 25 different reservations were technically affected by the construction outside but only one guest seemed to care (also a very experienced Airbnb user.) Try sleeping in the space as soon as you can so you can share the same experience. I found that if all the windows were shut and the a/c or fan was on then the construction noise was a little hum in the background. So I didn't want to make it sound to the guest like this 'disruption' was going to ruin their vacation and they better cancel and book elsewhere. Some days they won't even be working and other days the noise will be happening when the guest is out. It is not like it is going on and on at 2am and the guest is forced to find another place to sleep in the middle of the night (that would be an extremely different cause for concern.) That being said, I did subtle things as to say "I'm sorry this is happening but please be flexible because I have no control over this." I left ear plugs in the night stand draw, left a bottle of wine or something more than I usually would. Sometimes if I noticed the noise was loud in the morning, I would send a message inviting them out for coffee, etc. I kept all the windows in the apartment shut and the a/c on when they arrived with hope that they would continue that pattern (the guest who complained kept the windows wide open his entire stay.... obviously there will be noise outside with the windows open!!)

Anyway, you just clearly don't know what will happen and I can tell that you want all your guests to be happy (as do I.) But I also think there are risks we all take with Airbnb. I am assuming your guests are paying a very low price compared to a hotel. A hotel has so much more control over these things. Airbnb hosts do not. When I book as a guest on Airbnb I consider those risks and it's safe to say that in many circumstances I can be flexible about it.