Guest Demanding a Refund

Answered!
Samia85
Level 2
Burien, WA

Guest Demanding a Refund

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/52221006

I am a relatively new host, but have achieved Superhost status, and have had only one 4-star review to 26, 5-star reviews, and have had nothing but positive feedback. A guest made a last-minute booking for two days today-- Saturday and Sunday nights, and just sent me a message that he was not comfortable. 

My listing is in a remote ravine, and it is clear from the listing photos that there are no curtains on the view-facing windows (by design and there is complete privacy). No one has ever had issue with the furniture comfort (almost everything brand new) or size and placement of the TV (which he could move if he chose).

Samia85_1-1642913968893.jpeg

Samia85_2-1642914227274.jpeg

As you can see he is asking for a refund for tomorrow. It is highly unlikely I will be able to re-rent the room, and I have already told my cleaner that I would not need her until Monday.

I do feel his demand for a refund is unjustified. He is surely to leave me a poor review regardless of what I do. I feel a bit cornered. 

Any advice?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/52221006

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Peace, Love & Justice
Samia
1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Samia85 

I can't comment on the comfort of the furniture but, if you haven't already done so, I would include a mention on your listing (maybe under 'other things to note') that some of the windows do not have curtains and explain why and that other people cannot see in. If that isn't mentioned, then the guest sort of has a valid reason for complaint. On the other hand, it seems pretty obvious from the photos, but guests usually don't notice details like this when looking at the listing. At least if it is mentioned, you have covered yourself.

Whilst it might not bother most guests, some do get funny about this sort of thing. I don't have curtains/blinds on one of my bathroom windows, only privacy film on sections of them. I have reasons why I would prefer not to have them in there and have tested whether anyone can see it and they can't (it's against the laws of physics so a 'sensible' guest would realise this). Still, the occasional guest freaks out about it. Annoying as it is, I feel like I'll just have to cover the rest of the windows with the privacy film.

If you can bear to do it, maybe think about installing some unobtrusive blinds above the windows which don't spoil the view when not in use but provide a sense of privacy for those that want it.

RE the TV, I would take this on board as feedback for improvement. If it is easy enough to do so (you said the guest could have moved it), put it in a more practical place for viewing. Otherwise, if this is the only guest who took issue with it, then perhaps it's not worth it.

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Samia85 I am afraid you will probably get a bad review whatever you do. That said a refund would be less damaging than a bad review and you might get lucky.

Thanks @Mike-And-Jane0 for the feedback! When the guest began to complain via text, I moved the conversation back to the Airbnb messaging platform, so that when I contacted support they were able to review the guests unreasonable complaints and demands.

Peace, Love & Justice
Samia
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Samia85 

I can't comment on the comfort of the furniture but, if you haven't already done so, I would include a mention on your listing (maybe under 'other things to note') that some of the windows do not have curtains and explain why and that other people cannot see in. If that isn't mentioned, then the guest sort of has a valid reason for complaint. On the other hand, it seems pretty obvious from the photos, but guests usually don't notice details like this when looking at the listing. At least if it is mentioned, you have covered yourself.

Whilst it might not bother most guests, some do get funny about this sort of thing. I don't have curtains/blinds on one of my bathroom windows, only privacy film on sections of them. I have reasons why I would prefer not to have them in there and have tested whether anyone can see it and they can't (it's against the laws of physics so a 'sensible' guest would realise this). Still, the occasional guest freaks out about it. Annoying as it is, I feel like I'll just have to cover the rest of the windows with the privacy film.

If you can bear to do it, maybe think about installing some unobtrusive blinds above the windows which don't spoil the view when not in use but provide a sense of privacy for those that want it.

RE the TV, I would take this on board as feedback for improvement. If it is easy enough to do so (you said the guest could have moved it), put it in a more practical place for viewing. Otherwise, if this is the only guest who took issue with it, then perhaps it's not worth it.

Thanks  @Huma0  for the feedback. I have added to the listing, until I can figure out a solution that I can afford and remains aesthetically-pleasing. IN the meantime I've taken your suggestion and added this information in the "other details to note" section: 
"The North view-facing windows of the TreeHouse look out across our isolated ravine to the Puget Sound/Salish Sea and do not have curtains or blinds by design. There are curtains and frosted glass on some of the windows of the bedroom and bathroom where needed for privacy.

A 24" smart television is provided and can be carefully moved to any location in the TreeHouse, with the exception of the bathroom." 

Peace, Love & Justice
Samia
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Samia85 

I haven't bought any blinds myself (although I am on the look out for some) so don't know what to suggest, but perhaps some hosts in the USA might have suggestions for affordable yet stylish and unobtrusive ones that would suit your space. 

I know you can get magnetic blinds that don't require a roller system, but those might be a bit of a faff for guests to put on/take off and I am not sure where one is supposed to store them when not in use.

I know that no one from the street can see through that bathroom window (I have tested) but still, some guests are weird about it. It's annoying because sometimes they don't mention it to me during the stay (there are two other showers they can use) but then mark me down for it in the review. I am therefore seriously considering just providing some sort of privacy option for that window even though it is not needed. Unless someone pops a very tall ladder on the front of the house, I am not sure how they could see through that window!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Samia85  You may not think some window treatments are necessary and not had any guests complain until now, but I have to say that regardless of the view and privacy level, guests like to have curtains or blinds they can close. 

It isn't just about privacy, and guests may feel quite exposed, regardless of the privacy level. Guests may want to take a nap during the day and appreciate being able to darken the room. They may want to walk around naked and feel too exposed. They may be working online and want to cut the glare. 

I really think you should consider this. 

Thanks @Sarah977 for the feedback . I will see how I can implement this within my budget and design constraints.

Peace, Love & Justice
Samia
Patricia1375
Level 4
Nederland, CO

@Samia85We have a home in the mountains.  People come to the Rocky Mountains to see the mountains.  We don't have curtains on our windows and we have no neighbors on the acreage surrounding our cabin.  But people can see this on our website, as well as folks looking at your place.  With the beautiful view out your lovely home, I wouldn't want curtains either.  I don't think you owe him a refund for the second night, but as someone mentioned above maybe it would be worth it to refund him the one night in hopes his review comes back a bit kinder.  With regards to the comfort of your furniture, that's pretty subjective.  You have several seating options to choose from.  That's more than a lot of places offer.  Usually fold out beds don't make  comfortable seating, but again... you offer some additional choices.  I would chalk it up to a crummy guest experience and look forward to his exit. 

@Patricia1375  "With the beautiful view out your lovely home, I wouldn't want curtains either. "

There is no reason for curtains to obscure a view in any way. Curtain rods need to extend far enough beyond the window frame (with the rod supports near the end of the rod), that when the curtain is pushed back, the entire window is exposed.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Why fight it when you can do what @Sarah977 suggested and the 'problem' and such future 'problems' are solved. Those are ~low~ windows, max 34 inches off the floor, which means at night with the light on, anyone from the outside can see the guests clearly as if they were on a well-lit stage and the audience is in the dark. They better wear at least underwear at all times.

I would not give them a refund, but instead thank them for their 'wonderful suggestion', because it is a good idea, which should be implemented  immediately. It will make the rooms feel warmer anyway. It is never about the host, it is about the guests.

A refund will not guarantee a positive review anyway. Regardless what they write now, this is an easy situation to make sound very positive with the right finesse.

Thanks @Fred13. It's a good idea to look into. The windows are at least 1000 feet if not more from any vantage point, so no one is on stage. My bedroom suite is immediately above the suite, and doesn't have curtains either, so I am living the same way, that being said, not everyone is the same or knows the viewing conditions.

Peace, Love & Justice
Samia

Oh that high then would make sense not to have had curtains thus far. Still, why not but definitely shouldn't have been a showstopper by this guests that sounds like is either paranoid or hustling.

Normen0
Level 10
Canada

@Samia85 I’m curious if you have a two night minimum.  I recently had a situation where a young lady booked last minute and didn’t make it in the first night because her flight was delayed. And she didn’t want to pay for the first night after advising us of this at 9 pm. Last flight in was at 5 pm. This was on a three night minimum stay. Then there were a myriad of other issues with her. And this was Dec 26 and I noted  there wasn’t much available to rent . I wondered if it was a rouse to get a two night stay where there was a three night minimum. Anyone else come across this? 

@Normen0  Thanks for your comment. I don't have a two night minimum, but I now think that this guest-- who had booked two nights plans changed-- and he was simply trying to get a refund. He and his companion left at 5:30 am the following morning. I'm 10 minutes from the Seattle-Tacoma airport and the majority of my guests are either flying in or out on late or early morning flights. I'm totally speculating, but that's what appears to have happened.

Peace, Love & Justice
Samia