Randy2
Level 1
Makawao, HI

Guest Drove on my Lawn to the Unit and Damaged Grass

3 Replies 3
Randy2
Level 1
Makawao, HI

My unit is at the end of two dead end streets on the corner. Parking is simply at the end of the street and it is obvious to 40+ guests that have stayed here. A guest drove their car down my driveway on to my lawn so they would not have to carry their luggage. We have had rain recently and the ground became saturated. 

The guests car apparantly got stuck and several deep tire tracks ripped up the lawn and created a muddy mess. I was noit here when they arrived, but they did not communicate with me when the would be arriving or after they got here. It is rare I'm not here to greet guests. Honestly, I was shocked when I saw my lawn and surprised that someone would take such liberty without asking. I have sonce put in my house rules specific parking instructions.

Question is do I keep their deposit for damage to the lawn.

Rick0
Level 6
Savannah, Georgia, United States

I think first of all I would approach the guests & ask what happened.  Ummm.  Why??!!  If they actually did that to avoid carrying luggage, I would be shocked & a bit angry.  (Take pictures!!   You will need them later).  If they admit to the car being on the lawn, that is half the battle. ( if their car is muddy, photograph that as well!)   I would then explain to them that this is the first time in almost 45 guests that anyone has ever driven over the lawn. I would then say that this type of damage will cost X $ to fix.  Then ask them if they would like to pay the landscaper directly or have an amount deducted from their security deposit.  Those are the choices.   Start the procedure with Airbnb immediately.    Get a damage estimate if necessary.  

"Yadda yadda yadda.   These things happen.  I'm so sorry.  I wish you had asked me before parking your car on the lawn, next to the sofa & washing machine" (I live in Georgia-- it's more common than you think). "Sorry for the inconvenience, but X$$ is needed to repair the damages. "

Thanks for the reply...I agree....