Guest Had Airbnb Delete Negative Review

Stephanie636
Level 10
McKinleyville, CA

Guest Had Airbnb Delete Negative Review

I had a difficult guest who broke the house rules, showed up with more guests than she paid for, and left a mess. I left a review accordingly, specifically stating that I did NOT recommend her to future hosts. She called Airbnb claiming my honest, objective review was “unwanted contact” so they removed it citing harassment (?!). I’m utterly stunned. So much for integrity, Airbnb! If hosts can’t forewarn other hosts about bad guests, what’s the point of reviews?! Feeling abused and unspportd as a host, I’m compelled to delete my listing altogether. This is shameful.

207 Replies 207
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah977 

Sarah, it wasn't 3 attempts........I had already had 2 in the ABB message stream,  I knew I was in trouble after my first five attempts to get some sort of communication dialogue going with her. I would like to have kept all communication in the ABB message stream but that was not possible so that is why I screenshot everything after that first 2 attempts , because I knew I was sooner or later going to have to involve Airbnb here.

Sarah, I cannot impress on hosts enough how important it is to cover your arse! Too many hosts think...."oh that's okay we will work it out"!.....that is a shortcut to disaster, if it smells fishy, it is!

The most important thing is to get in the first shot, open a ticket and get something on file so that no matter  which support person the guest might talk to, there is a trail of information already there. It makes CX's job so much easier.

It has never let me down Sarah! 

I sometimes think hosts are their own worst enemy, they wait till the horse has disappeared in a cloud of dust, they are cross, they want instant support and expect things to be fixed in the blink of an eye. We know that conciliation is not one of Airbnb's strong points, so why think that it might just work on this or that occasion!

Be proactive, believe me, it gets results!

Cheers........Rob

I also had a guest cancel wtithin 24 hours, which made the guest responsible for the  night (flexible cancellation). The guest tried to fight the charge because it was due to her mother being injured before checking in. I lost a full week of rental in peak season because of the cancellation. I didn't budge on charging the guest for the 1 night and, fortunately, Airbnb backed me up and supported me, citing the agreed terms. So, maybe the problem lies with Airbnb needing their case managers to be more consistent with upholding policies.

I just had Airbnb refund guests  that canceled, after they had checked in and stayed for part of their reservation, with no extenuating circumstances other than they changed their plans. I reached out to CS to understand what had happened, and they wouldn’t answer my question and stopped responding. To be fair to the CS agent, I don’t think they had any idea why the guests were refunded. I think the system has been coded in favor of the guests. 

OMG!  I thought you were joking!!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"She called Airbnb claiming my honest, objective review was “unwanted contact” so they removed it citing harassment (?!)"

Ah, the 'harassment' defense, by now getting a bit old, but still a favorite among scammers.

What are the odds of a host getting a guest review removed by crying "harassment", “unwanted contact” ?

@Stephanie636  You can still report her and flag her profile (not sure if that actually leads anywhere, but worth a try).  If you gave her a thumbs down and low stars she, apparently, cannot Instant Book and it effectively blocks her from contacting you –  or so it has been told...

I reported her and flagged her profile about a month ago (this accomplished nothing, btw - just barred our mutual access to each other's ability to communicate via Airbnb; the messaging feature was cut off, that's it). I was, however, still able to leave her a negative review of her stay and did so. When she demanded Airbnb remove my review, it also removed my thumbs down and my 1-star rating of her. There is effectively now no public notice of my unpleasant experience with this guest..one of the primary purposes of host reviews. Unwary future hosts will now just be totally unawares of her unpleasantry as a guest. Like I said, it's shameful.

Oh dear what a bad experience.  I am of the understanding that if you make one of your instant book requirements that instant book is only available to Guests who have been recommended (ie a thumbs up) by other HOsts, then those who haven't been recommended are not able to book.

Another Host very wisely advised on one Forum, that when he gets Guests who are not recommended by other Hosts, and then message him askng to 'sweettalk him' lol,  he just says , sure,  just instant book. But then of course Airbnb site won't let them book since not recommended. Solved! 

I am very surprised that Airbnb delete bad reviews.   I always think of the next Host when I review!   

Sometimes it can be tricky, tho. Today I had GUests turn up, and the Guy  argued with me re his parking where House Rules say he can't (plus I had messaged them, nicely explaining just why it isnt allowed to park on gutters or grassy paths)  Yet his partner seems lovely and it is her profile. She obviously agreed to my House Rules re parking when booking.  So potentially tricky when reviewing.  

Note that partners,  spouses,  boyfriends and girlfriends and just friends always have the potential of being problematic because they may not understand ABB or the Rules.  I try to feel these out and make sure the primary guest shows the Rules to their subguest when it seems necessary / appropriate.

Amanda634
Level 3
Parry Sound, Canada

Airbnb hold their renters above their hosts. I went through this first hand when a guest damaged my property and lied by saying "it was there before" after she admitted it wasnt to me through messages. Airbnb did not seek compensation from this guest and their "Host Guarantee" also was a complete pack of lies. I'm now out of pocket $400 from a untruthful guest and Airbnb never even came close to backing me up or giving me any compensation. Their customer service "resolution centre" is a nightmare. The whole company is a complete disappointment.

@Amanda634 This is one of my biggest worries in even continuing on as a host. If Airbnb won't stand by a host with a negative review of a violating guest, I can only imagine their lack of host support in a damage or guarantee claim scenario. My guest also admitted to her wrongdoings in our Airbnb messenger communication, but Airbnb Customer Service paid it no attention. Though she plainly admitted it, they asked me to provide "proof" of her house rule breaking and mess, and this on the third claim she raised (the prior two having been resolved in my favor!). She just kept calling until she got a sucker to fall for her lies. So even once I thought it was done and over (twice), it just kept coming back up. I'd heard about how Airbnb exists solely to support guests, dismissing hosts altogether, but dismissed the notion as a generalization crafted by the wronged minority. Clearly it's a general business practice. I guess new properties come online with enough frequency that longstanding regular hosts with impeccable records are just expendable. Not a sustainable business model, in my opinion. Oh well.

I had a horrible guest experience over the weekend.  I reported her to BNB.  I decided not to write a review since I talked to a case manager.  I don’t know where you can flag someone for other hosts to beware but I wouldn’t recommend her to anyone.  I think AirBNB must insist on a profile picture and a list of all guests names.  As it turns out the boyfriend had been arrested and charged for controlled substances among other things.  They left my place an absolute wreck, left the front door open Saturday when they left; just too many things to mention.  

in the review, there's a place where you tick either "would you recommend this Guest, or not"   THis is private, no-one sees this!  That way the hosts who have instant book for Guests who are recommended by other Hosts will not get a booking by these people.

Odd that the Case Manager advised you not to write a review.  Hosts rely on these, and it helps us decide whether to accept a booking or not.   Would-be Guests do of course then message us, asking to book.

But if they've been a member for a while tell me they have stayed at AIrbnb's before, and have no recommendations or reviews from Hosts, a Red Flag!

I just don't accept these Guests any more.

No matter if they make themselves out to be sweet older couple...in fact I have had the most trouble from older people from this country, people who have 'motel mentality' and book airbnb. I also have had higher number of older people who are smokers, who light up, then say oh I thought that was only inside the unit!  Despite it appearing both in listing description plus house rules!  (I don't accept smokers at all.  Non smokers only...see Airbnb rules , we can refuse to accommodate smokers.  ) 

Plus when they book I need to know who is coming, names etc.  If I feel iffy I tell them I need these to check ID from passprot drivers licence upon arrival.  THis can dissuade them from booking. 

Kinda sounds like you great some really crap customer experience. They usually always read the conversation. You got someone about to clock out maybe?

To everyone who has commented - I learned this about Airbnb way back . They are very anti owner although they make their money off of us . I had guest lie, destroy property , and they think they can get away with murder. The last time they called me asking me to “bend rules” , I said no. Guest can also lie and it’s fine , I hate that Airbnb has such a distaste in homeowners mouths like they have .