Guest Has Something that Smells Terrible

Susan3965
Level 2
Loveland, CO

Guest Has Something that Smells Terrible

Hi all, 

I’m currently hosting a guest in my studio apartment that’s attached to our house with a shared wall. He’s been here for one week, and there is a horribly foul odor coming from the apartment. It started 2 days after he arrived, and now it’s so bad that it’s permeated through to several rooms of our house. 
I’ve asked him nicely to “check his garbage” for anything rotting. Finally today I peeked inside while he was gone - the smell is horrible and intense! Almost knocked me over. What could it be?? And what do I do?? 
He’s scheduled to be there for 3 more weeks!

26 Replies 26
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

You have an ex-boyfriend for every occasion @Sarah977 ! - lol! 😂

@Helen350  Oh, not that many, really. But I was never very good at relationships that last for decades 🙂

@Sarah977  no, I haven't seen that movie 😄

I have no idea what they were eating but the smell of their food was terrible. Unlike anything else we smelled in our Airbnb. They were orthodox Jews and they got the food delivered from their community here in Zagreb and just heated it in the apartment in their own electric oven which they put on our small sink. I am glad they didn't electrocute themselves.

Susan3965
Level 2
Loveland, CO

@Sarah977 Interesting. I do think part of the smell is dirty clothes/sweat? But how could it be that strong?

BTW I’ve wanted to visit Sayulita! How long have you been down there?

@Susan3965 Yes, if he has smelly feet or bad body odor and has his dirty clothes laying around, that could be the source of the smell. Especially since he says he doesn't smell anything himself, he must be used to it. How much longer is he booked for?

I've been in Sayulita for about 18 years. I wouldn't advise coming here now because of the virus with few precautions being followed in town. I live on the outskirts and stick close to home.

But once things get back to normal, come stay!

@Susan3965 

We do mid-stay sheet changes (every 2 weeks) for long term guests. Henry once entered the guest room to change sheets and smelled something funky..... it was a bag of oranges in a plastic bag getting all moldy in the corner. He took photos and TOLD the guest that the room will have to be disinfected to completely get rid of mold spores that might have escaped and to please come home early since he didn't want to disturb her personal items on the desk and shelf. The guest said she didn't mind if Henry moved/rearranged anything out in plain sight, that Henry could do whatever he needed to clean and sanitize the space, and apologized about the oranges - said she completely forget she bought them. 

Henry said he couldn't help but notice the moldy smell as soon as he entered the guest room..... and couldn't understand how the guest could have NOT smelled it. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Susan3965 Please keep us updated on this. I am really curious as to what this could be.

Vivian860
Level 5
Richmond, ME

You have every right to enter into your space on your property! You have legit reason to enter. Make sure you are video taping yourself entering with probable cause; such as foul suspicions smell. On camera, speak aloud that this has gotten so bad that it is now permeating through the walls into the main house. Go take charge, YOU own that space, and see what is up!! I hope it is not a dead body! 

I made a community page for hosts to vent freely and safely. Join the conversation here: **

**[Advertisement removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Sarah977 I remember Repulsion! Crazy scary movie...hands coming out of walls...<shiver>

@Pat271  I forgot about that part! It must be almost 50 years since I saw that movie. I seem to remember that it was basically about the woman losing her mind, but you couldn't really tell if she was imagining all of it or if some of it was really happening.

I have been amazed how a space can smell so bad and foul after only a couple of days. Some food waste puts off a tremendous odor. Have you considered offering a free cleaning since he's such a long term client? You could position it that you truly appreciate his tenancy and express this as a gift.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Susan3965 , Im guessing you thought of this but I will mention it anyway, it isnt an egg rotting smell that is a precursor leak detector stink (Ethyl Mercaptan most often is reported to smell like rotten eggs or sometimes rotten cabbage) added to Propane and Natural gas?  If you even suspect that could be the case, you need to find out ASAP.   

Otherwise 2 memorable times before that Ive experienced a lingering odor in my or adjacent spaces, Dead rodent in the wall (happens occasionally in a 200+ year old house) and Kimchi my barracks mate Beatle Heath used to eat every here and there back in the 80's, I know folks love it but somehow it didn't ever sit well with my sniffer (same with some of the really gross cheeses my mom used to love, RIP Mom).

Good luck with the stink, Im interested to find out what it turns out to be.   Stay well, JR