Guest Hosting a Yoga Retreat for her business at my Airbnb House

Jordan152
Level 2
Grand Rapids, MI

Guest Hosting a Yoga Retreat for her business at my Airbnb House

I have an upcoming guest that is booked for a stay over NYE weekend. Her initial message to me was:

"I can't wait to stay at your space for a long NYE detox weekend with my group. We are coming to have a quiet holiday retreat without the booze and noise that comes with NYE. Your space looks lovely."

I did some research and I see she is charging  her group members $300-$620 for the weekend depending on what type of sleeping arrangements they prefer. During the weekend, she is teaching yoga classes, meditation classes, teaching the group how to cook plant-based meals, etc but also charging them to stay at my house at the rates above.

Sounds like a real good time : ) My wife and I aren't sure how to feel about this. On one hand, this sounds like a pretty ideal group to have at your house for New Years Eve (no drinking, partying, etc). But we are bothered that she wasn't 100% truthful in her intentions and I am assuming this is illegal to use a residential house for commercial use like this?

Has anyone else dealt with something like this before? Any advice on how to approach this with this guest?

34 Replies 34

Chances are, you aren't the only place she booked for that many people.

I charge $10 per person per night over a standard family unit of 4 people.

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I think you are looking at this the wrong way.  If your lisiting is a good place for this type of retreat then this could be GREAT for you.  Healthy, organic yoga type people are some of the best guests to have!  They are respectful, quiet, clean and overall spiritual people.  I would talk to this yoga instructor and work out a deal for additional retreats.  Maybe find a way to increase the number of beds, perhaps offer organic meals, teas, etc.  You could even set up an airbnb "experice" to help market it.  Get your own insurance to make sure you are covered and then work out a better % of the revenue.  Maybe even offer the space to other yoga instructors looking for a location and host something like this once a month.   

Rebecca0
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I agree. This could be a great opportunity for you! However, I would not be so happy that she wasn't upfront that it was a money making event. Just cos it's yoga does not make it cool and doesn't preclude the $$££. I would talk directly and frankly to her - maybe propose an offer and discuss future possibilities. But don't let her get away with using your place to make a tidy profit just because they won't be drinking and 'your place is lovely '.

Kayleigh21
Level 1
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

I think you are all looking at this the wrong way. She is not making money off of the persons house. She is making money for her time, effort and work that she is putting into putting it all together, her time finding people and marketing it, and then her time for the weekend. It is crazy how everyone is making comments about her making money. Everyone who is on here renting their place are making money. Why do you think you should make more for someone else's initiative and hard work is besides me.

Not a bad idea, Ned. I agree this is a pretty ideal group to be staying at our place. I will connect with the guest and see what future opportunities could look like. That might help our comfort level with allowing this NYE event to happen.

I think she is downright cheeky not asking your permission first. It is difficult enough getting insurance as an airbnb host already without the possible legal ramifications of someone getting injured and possibly suing you as well as her. I would be very concerned and ask airbnb to cancel on the safe side.

That is initially how we felt as well. If she was upfront about her intentions I think we would be feel better about this situation.

Barbara826
Level 2
Riverton, UT

Hi Jordan, 

This has happened to me too. Not a yoga group per say, but a Multi Level Marketing Retreat, ministers retreat, etc. I have learned to write in my rules that All Events/For profit functions must be approved prior to booking. If it is a for profit function, I raise my rates (sometimes double). I find that most businesses are ok with this. I have not asked for an insurance policy, I feel like if I get too detailed it turns guests off. I usually relay to them that they are ultimately responsible for all their guests and the liability associated with each guest. Not sure if this is the smartest way to go, but I havent been burned yet! (knock on wood).

Barbara, I think we will look at revising our rules to match yours. That makes a lot of sense and could hopefully mitigate situations like this in the future. Really appreciate your insight.

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

WOW, what an awesome place! I have to agree with the others here, definitly charge extra per person over 4 (standard). I have a 3 bedroom house that can sleep up to 7 and I charge an extra $10 a person over 4. I cannot tell if you have a cleaning fee but it might be a good idea, especially when you have these large groups. Your rate for your place is way beyond reasonable. If it is going to be used for an event that, as in this case, someone is making a pretty huge profit from, you should be given a percentage and they should be booking through an AirBnB business account. That is my opinion anyway, for what it is worth 🐵 

Thanks for the kind words Ava. It sounds like the cost per person over x amount of people is the way to go.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In your situation, I would contact Airbnb and ask them to cancel the booking as the guest has booked to host a commercial event in your listings.

Not a bad idea, or atleast ask for guidance on how to handle these situations. Thanks Helen.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Another example of why Airbnb should provide the list of who is staying at booking time. With fourteen random people showing up is Airbnb really going to provide damage and liability coverage ?

I agree. Airbnb needs to be more strict regarding each guest over 18 that is staying at your listings.