Guest ID verification issues

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Guest ID verification issues

I got this message with an ‘awaiting verification’ pending request,

“…having issues with the authentication Airbnb app. I’ve tried booking your place twice but the app cannot access my camera. I’m going to try again, hopefully we don’t miss out on staying at your place!”

Any suggestions I can give this person? I’m not familiar at all with trouble shooting this problem. Obviously, I’m not going to suggest contacting CS for assistance, because this person is not my enemy and I don’ t wish to subject them to psychological harm. 

Also, these dates are now blocked for the second 24 hour period while the guest is hung up at this stage. Why does Airbnb allow this to happen? Requirements to book should be fulfilled, and everything in order, before a booking is attempted. (not a true question, just a rant).

12 Replies 12
Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

How frustrating for you both!

I don't have any experience with this issue & can only jump to the obvious workarounds I might use myself. Can they take a photo outside of the app and then upload the file instead of taking a photo "live?" Is it just a "preferences" setting?

Thanks for popping in @Lenore22. Could be. I don’t know if they are trying to take a live photo or if the app just can’t access the camera to grab a photo already there. I want to suggest they withdraw their request, and go to their profile to add their ID, but I thought I’d gather suggestions here first.

@ Colleen253, could it be that you have indicated that all  Id pics must be a clear pic of this person and they have uploaded a less than ideal Id.? You can get them to send you via mobile their id but you cannot verify this via Airbnb for them . Sometimes people do not realise that Airbnb do not pass on Id, just pics after booking on IB anyway. This guest must be advised to go back to Airbnb and upload correct ID to them not you first. Check for flags .  I would be wary H

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Colleen253  The guest could try using a laptop rather than the phone app. Maybe that would work. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 @Sarah977 

Yes, I would suggest they at least try to use a different App. I had a real problem with this on the NHS App when I was first trying to download my vaccination certificate. I had to record a video for verification but it kept telling me the camera on my phone wasn't turned on/enabled for the App (it was, I checked). I then tried it with my iPad and it worked first time.

@Sarah977 I asked if they were doing this all via the app and suggested while the app is useful, it may be better to do this through desktop instead. I also suggested they withdraw the request and go directly to their profile to add ID, then try again with the request once that’s successful. Have not had a reply and the request is still sitting there ‘awaiting’. I think they will stay hung up unless they try something new. This has happened often with new members, and my sense is it’s something to do with tying ID verification to a request to book. I wish Airbnb would direct them to complete their verification separately, and before trying to book.

@Colleen253  It's quite absurd that Airbnb allows guests to try to book a place before they have uploaded all their required info. They should have to have all their ID in place and their payment method verified before they can send a request or inquiry or IB. 

Although they obviously have no interest in making things better for hosts, one would think that with their penchant for wanting bookings to be made and paid as quickly as possible, it would be better for their bottom line not to have calendars blocked to other bookings for 24 hrs.

@ Sarah 977 it could also be a hold up on their credit card that they are unaware of. It happens  Guests can pay in two parts and sometimes fail to plan for part two H .

We've had this same situation a couple of times. In February, during a busy holiday time in Anchorage, when hotels were fully booked, we received a last-minute request from a guest who was caught up in this 'verifying ID' dilmena.  

Though I'm sure he was frustrated, Airbnb blocked our apartment for nearly two days while they tried to work it out only to have the person go elsewhere.  We got no guests; no money and a blocked calendar!

Airbnb needs to remove a block after a reasonable time to get the guest ID.  

And, as usual, a customer support ticket went unanswered. 

@Connie168 The answer is for the potential booking to get blocked completely, not go into 'awaiting' status, until the issue is sorted, whether it be a payment problem, or ID verification issue. That will never happen, though. 

@Colleen253  As others have mentioned, this has been a consistent problem since Airbnb introduced ID verification years ago. I've never had a case where it wasn't solved by switching from the mobile app to the desktop version (or, more rarely, vice versa).

But if a guest can only get online via their phone, they can navigate to Airbnb on its browser and choose "desktop version." There, they should be able to upload scans of their ID instead of having a severely buggy app interfacing with their phone camera.

Louise1073
Level 6
San Diego, CA

Agree this setting is super weird. 

I just figured out how to turn it on/off, here is the link if you are interested: https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/requirements