Guest ID

Ian27826
Level 2
Folkestone, United Kingdom

Guest ID

Hello all,

I have a booking I just acceped today, on looking a little closer at the guest there is only a first name *no surname*

Airbnb states that they only confirm guests ID with first and last name.

How can a guest use government documents to confirm their ID with only a first name.

The guest has not added a photo ID, not a real problem but not usual this is maybe only the 2nd guest profile I have seen without a photo.

It's the first name only that is a little confusing.

Thank you

Kind regards Ian

9 Replies 9
Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Ian27826  You'll be surprised, many guests use nickname instead of name. And an even bigger surprise, among these people there are hosts.)))) Yes, HOST recently came to me, which had an imaginary name of a character of some novel in its profile. Ha ha, life is full of surprises. 😆

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You can ask for whatever information makes you comfortable with the booking.  I have often politely asked a guest to upload ID and portrait profile picture.  

@Ian27826 Have you tried just asking the guest what their last name is? Many people are forthcoming with info on a person-to-person basis that they're not as inclined to enter when setting upon an account.

You can, of course, also ask that guests present an ID upon arrival if you're not doing self-check-in. But if it's a condition for entry, it's best to state that in your House Rules.

I have a reservation for tomorrow, and yesterday I requested last name but I haven’t have any answer. I don’t feel confident in a person who I can identified. Can I cancel this reservation?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Victoria152 

You can not cancel the reservation "penalty free" just because the guest is not (yet) providing a  last name. If you feel uncomfortable with the reservation, contact Airbnb.

Many guests do not have last name on the profile / reservation, but it is important the ID has been verified on the profile.

Thanks

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Airbnb may have the guest's first and last name, but that doesn't mean that info is visible to hosts. @Ian27826

Ray-and-Kylie0
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

I’m concerned that once a person registers with Airbnb and go through all the registration requirements, they can change their profile details including name, address and photo without having to substantiate these changes at all.

If that's a concern for you @Ray-and-Kylie0 ask guests to provide you with a copy of their ID on check in (make sure you have a house rule that covers this if you do).