Should Guest Profiles have more information available to host?

Answered!
Adrian28
Level 2
Cooma, Australia

Should Guest Profiles have more information available to host?

I think all guests must have some profile information before booking. 

For me if a guest does not have anything in their profile I will not accept them, but I do politely ask that they add profile information, unfortunately often the booking time lapses and they must rebook.

Profile information should be a requirement for acceptance as a potential guest.

Adrian

1 Best Answer
Marcy1
Level 10
Eugene, OR

When I first started hosting, most people had a description about themself -- profession, interests, schools attended in addition to the city & state. Now I'm noticing a trend toward only knowing if people are verified and the city and state. In addition abstract, blurry or childhood pictures shouldn't count.  So, I whole-heartedly agree that some sort of GUEST PROFILE DESCRIPTION SHOULD BE A REQUIREMENT to be a guest, in addition to a CURRENT PICTURE. 

I do have my response for those instances where people are guarded or aren't thinking that it's not important, saying I notice you're new to airbnb, please give me more information about yourself. Sometimes people just tell me more about the reason why their staying rather than answering my question. And some people think they have to give me too much information. That's why it'd be nice to have some required descriptor fields and the reason why they're required -- staying in someone's home, helps with trust building, etc.   

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20

I fully agree Marcy.  I too have had people who just have a name, Picture and Maybe a city they are from but

when letting someone in my guest room I want for security purposes, mine and theirs, a little more about them.

Why is this so difficult.  Their should be a way to get them to fill in their profile before they resquest a date so

we don't feel like we are putting them through the inquisition.  "I'm coming for a wedding" is not profile info.

Who are you people???

If you have a gut feeling and are in doubt, just decline.  No amount of money is worth getting hurt or robbed in my humble opinion.  

Julie282
Level 3
Auckland, New Zealand

Totally agree, nobody at Airbnb seems to be checking profiles. We got an instant booking from someone who's bringing 2 other people with him (no details), his profile information lists 2 schools and nothing else, his picture is the side of his head, his greeting was simply to tell us what time he'd like to pick up the keys. He's fully verified and apparently recommended by other Hosts, even though he's only stayed in one other place which the Host said he left in a mess. He booked one day ahead of arriving so we had no chance of cancelling. So I've turned off instant book and wont turn it on again until I can set more rules such as the number of positive reviews, the word count in the profile, picture verification etc. Airbnb told us we'd get a lot more bookings with instant book, but they just haven't considered the quality of those bookings.

Judy80
Level 2
Marquette, MI

I have a guest who booked with no profile photo, and not much information. I thought Airbnb required a profile photo in order to be on here?

Judy80
Level 2
Marquette, MI

what to do if a guest has no profile photo?

Colleen23
Level 2
Bradford, United Kingdom

I feel very wary of not having some basic information about people wanting to book with me! I feel this is a safety issue as I no longer know if the person has good reviews or not. Yes, I can agree a booking and then cancel but then it backfires on me. What is Airbnb's rationale for this new policy, does anyone know?