Guest Red Flags - Tips for New Airbnb Hosts:

Answered!
Jo191
Level 3
New York, NY

Guest Red Flags - Tips for New Airbnb Hosts:

Hi Airbnb Community!

In the two years that I've hosted with Airbnb, I've had my share of nightmare guests. When I started hosting, I had zero experience, and quickly learned that Airbnb has no real way of pre-verifying if a guest is going to be good or bad. Airbnb provides a Name, maybe Photo, maybe Verification, and maybe some reviews, but it's really not enough.

Now that I've had a little more than 80 reservations with +100 guests, I learned that there was a common thread linking all my bad guest experiences. These "red flags" had been present the whole or presented themselves quite early in the process. Some of these are obvious, but some are less so, but each one of them is a strict 100% dealbreaker, do not pass go do not collect $200.  I'll decline and refer them to a local hotel or bed and breakfast. Because often enough, what they really want is a hotel but at airbnb prices. 

Obvious Deal Breakers:

1. No Reviews

2. No Picture

3. No Verification

4. Bad Review(s)

Additional Deal Breakers:

5. Asks for a discount

6. Asks to for an early check in and/or late check out/hold luggage, etc

7. Asks to bring more than the maximum guests

8. It becomes clear they have not read the house rules

How have you guys selected guests in the past? Has it changed? Do you guys have any deal breakers that have really helped?

1 Best Answer
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Add my name to the list of people who think these dealbreakers aren't dealbreakers.

Someone has to take first-timers, or there would be no guests for you to host. I'd estimate 75% of my guests are new or have no reviews. The three worst guests I've had all had reviews - good ones. They're not a guarantee of anything. Some hosts are afraid of writing bad reviews.

Picture and ID verification... I have mixed feelings about these. Airbnb will take ID, but then we can't access it anyways, so seems a bit pointless. The guest can verify their account then change the name to something completely different, so I don't think there is too much security there either... it's debatable, for sure.

Asking for an early check in or late check out also isn't a dealbreaker, unless it's done rudely or it's demanded. Same with asking about bringing extra people. As long as it's discussed before booking, I'm fine with it: better that than just turning up with them.

Asking for a discount is the only one that I would potentially consider a dealbreaker. I gave a discount once when I was new, and the guests were a PITA. However, they stayed for 2 weeks, so the charges did make up for it. I still likely wouldn't do it again.

View Best Answer in original post

73 Replies 73

@Kenneth12  Disagreement is welcome, differing viewpoints are interesting, but what exactly do you get out of personally insulting other posters?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Susan151 @Michael956

I suspect that renting a room or rooms is going to attract a different type of guest than those who want to rent an entire unit to themselves.  It is much easier to keep an eye on people, to set the right tone and to teach by example on cleaning, etc. if you are right there in the unit.

We also rent to first time users with no reviews and have even on occasion rented to people with a negative review and have had good results.  However, you two must be on the far end of the spectrum to have been hosting all this time and never once had any poor guests.  Most of our guests are great to good, but we have definitely had bad guests who showed little to no respect for the house, who damaged items and did not tell us and who left the apartment extremely dirty or were extremely high maintenance but showed no gratitude for that 'extra mile.'

@Mark116 wrote:

@Susan151 @Michael956

I suspect that renting a room or rooms is going to attract a different type of guest than those who want to rent an entire unit to themselves.  It is much easier to keep an eye on people, to set the right tone and to teach by example on cleaning, etc. if you are right there in the unit.

No doubt true, but the original list didn't include Red Flags for Non-shared spaces, and it appears that @Jo191 is also renting a room, not an entire space.

I also agree that @Michael956 and I have been very lucky indeed. I like to think [yea, we all want to be special] that the narrative that I use in my listing tends to attract people that will appreciate what I offer and the oddities of my house.

Narrative,  yes;   but how many guests do no more than glance?

Niel3
Level 10
Llanberis, United Kingdom

Having just completed my first year and had over 100 great guests with no huge issues, all via insta-book. Maybe 2 of them I would not wish to have staying but for no reason other than they were just 'odd' folk - and also gave me 4* reviews.

From the list:

1. No Reviews - Doesn't bother me, everyone has to start somewhere.

2. No Picture - Again doesn't bother me, seems to be a mainly US issue with hosts requiring guest photos, maybe you guys have a lot more nutcases than us limeys. ;o)

3. No Verification - Not an issue as I have the toggle to require all guests must be verified to book.

4. Bad Review(s) - Might give me pause but I would take them in context.

5. Asks for a discount - Haven't had this, definitely would not impress me though.

6. Asks to for an early check in and/or late check out/hold luggage, etc - Not really an issue for me.

7. Asks to bring more than the maximum guests - Had it once, made them book an extra room. 🙂

8. It becomes clear they have not read the house rules - I hate that term, much prefer guidelines, people staying with me are there to enjoy themselves/relax not to be given a list of 'rules'. Not everyone will read all of the listing so I just tactfully point out things they miss, I do have 'guidelines' though. 🙂

I am pretty easy going and accepting of people's foibles but at the same time if someone really crosses a line I would have no hesitation in tactfully suggesting so - and being direct if they don't get the hint - they'd really have to be out of order for me to do that though.

@Niel3 wrote:

8. It becomes clear they have not read the house rules - I hate that term, much prefer guidelines,

Thank for pointing this out. I too hate the term RULES as a way to control guests' behavior. Even AirBNB has stopped using this word and has instead substituted Policies. I use neither term in my house. Instead I have a House Handbook which includes everything that I think a guest would like to know, but there might be a few policies slipped in for good measure.  🙂

Maybe it's an American thing, but I wouldn't feel comfortable booking someone who didn't have a photo or any kind of verification...they could be literally anyone, a criminal, fraudster.  Everyone once in a while I am not paying attention and someone with a flower as their photo slips through, but, no verification, no photo, not for me. 

@Mark116 wrote:

they could be literally anyone, a criminal, fraudster.  

Curious. What about a picture makes you sure that they aren't anyone, a criminal or a fraudster? I just don't understand what people think they learn about a person from a tiny picture.

@Susan151  I do appreciate seeing a profile photo of the guest's face, but you are correct that it's no assurance of anything, except that the person who shows up is indeed the person who booked. To me, a real profile photo does indicate an openness, though.

First of all, I will at least know the person who made the reservation is the person showing up at my house.  Second, if they ARE a criminal or a fraudster, their photo is on record.  It may be only a slight deterrent, but its a deterrent.  

It allows you to match guest to profile;  ABB *RULES* state guests must have a current photo.   Thus,  it provides a degree of protection against various kinds of fraud that involve a third party-- say,  the underage kid who wanted to show up with his girlfriend,  using his mom's account (for those who don't know:  illegal in Illinois and many other states).

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Mark0 but why tar us all with the same brush who don't have a photo of ourselves?
There's a new policy that is in place now where photographs one ones proflle are not a requirement..there's all manner of reasons people don;t have there photos online, including personal safety.

All the  best

For me having no profile picture is not a dealbreaker in the first place. I just ask potential guests to upload one with the explanation that I like to see who I am communicating with. Since I share space with my guest I find that providing a profile picture is a signal of honesty about who they are. That gives me confidence about the guest being a better match to share bathroom with. If a guest refuse to upload a photo then it tells me something about them that they might not be a good fit for my place. It does NOT show them as a bad person or anything, but I show a great deal of trust when having guests in my home without me being there a lot of the time. I think it is only appropriate that people show me upfront who they are 🙂

Mariann 🙂

2. No picture? I find it is very helpful, when I’m opening my secure gate at 3am in the morning to an unknown individual. It’s heartening to at least have a match!

If there was an emergency, or were to go missing, an image is a starting point for police.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I have also never had nightmare guests, not even close. All my guests have had clear profile photos, all have read through the listing info, none have requested discounts. All have sent very personable messages when requesting to book ( I don't use IB).

@Susan151 "I like to think [yea, we all want to be special] that the narrative that I use in my listing tends to attract people that will appreciate what I offer and the oddities of my house."  I have the same thought about what I offer. So far, so good.