Guest Red Flags - Tips for New Airbnb Hosts:

Answered!
Jo191
Level 3
New York, NY

Guest Red Flags - Tips for New Airbnb Hosts:

Hi Airbnb Community!

In the two years that I've hosted with Airbnb, I've had my share of nightmare guests. When I started hosting, I had zero experience, and quickly learned that Airbnb has no real way of pre-verifying if a guest is going to be good or bad. Airbnb provides a Name, maybe Photo, maybe Verification, and maybe some reviews, but it's really not enough.

Now that I've had a little more than 80 reservations with +100 guests, I learned that there was a common thread linking all my bad guest experiences. These "red flags" had been present the whole or presented themselves quite early in the process. Some of these are obvious, but some are less so, but each one of them is a strict 100% dealbreaker, do not pass go do not collect $200.  I'll decline and refer them to a local hotel or bed and breakfast. Because often enough, what they really want is a hotel but at airbnb prices. 

Obvious Deal Breakers:

1. No Reviews

2. No Picture

3. No Verification

4. Bad Review(s)

Additional Deal Breakers:

5. Asks for a discount

6. Asks to for an early check in and/or late check out/hold luggage, etc

7. Asks to bring more than the maximum guests

8. It becomes clear they have not read the house rules

How have you guys selected guests in the past? Has it changed? Do you guys have any deal breakers that have really helped?

1 Best Answer
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Add my name to the list of people who think these dealbreakers aren't dealbreakers.

Someone has to take first-timers, or there would be no guests for you to host. I'd estimate 75% of my guests are new or have no reviews. The three worst guests I've had all had reviews - good ones. They're not a guarantee of anything. Some hosts are afraid of writing bad reviews.

Picture and ID verification... I have mixed feelings about these. Airbnb will take ID, but then we can't access it anyways, so seems a bit pointless. The guest can verify their account then change the name to something completely different, so I don't think there is too much security there either... it's debatable, for sure.

Asking for an early check in or late check out also isn't a dealbreaker, unless it's done rudely or it's demanded. Same with asking about bringing extra people. As long as it's discussed before booking, I'm fine with it: better that than just turning up with them.

Asking for a discount is the only one that I would potentially consider a dealbreaker. I gave a discount once when I was new, and the guests were a PITA. However, they stayed for 2 weeks, so the charges did make up for it. I still likely wouldn't do it again.

View Best Answer in original post

73 Replies 73

@Jo191     I agree with @Helen0   re: discounts.  I have no hard and fast rules for deal breakers,  except no discounts.. I relented twice and regretted it twice.

Re: verifications.  I always ask them to add  verifications, some first-timers  have no idea that it is necessary.  Airbnb do not appear to make it an element in their booking procedures:  e.g.  you cannot procede with your reservation unless you add the following information, despite Airbnb stating guests must  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1170/what-are-the-requirements-to-book-on-airbnb  to make a reservation—most are more than willing to comply,  if not I decline.

Not reading the desciption is not a deal breaker either because I would be declining 75% if it were.  Instead  I send a message re: Airbnb not being a hotel; every Airbnb being unique; check-in and check out times; and anything else that previous guests may have ignored in my description with a reminder to read the description, amenities, rules so they know what to expect. For early late check-in/out I send them a list of storage places if I am unable to let them drop off their bags or store them here before/after.

I do take guests with no reviews, they have to start somewhere. I have also taken guests with bad reviews who were great (depends on what the review says,  is it an outlier, a rant) and I have accepted some guests based on great reviews who were a disaster, so reviews are not a deal breaker for me either.  I rely more on communication than reviews.

p.s. I don't know what your nightmare guests have done but I make a point of not telling guests when I will be around, I tell them only that I am always available by text and phone.  In the past  a few took advantage, knowing I would not be here at specific times,  and invited people over.  I returned earlier than expected to find a lot of extra people in my apartment and a huge mess. They said "Oh! you're back early"!

"  Instead  I send a message re: Airbnb not being a hotel; every Airbnb being unique; check-in and check out times; and anything else that previous guests may have ignored in my description with a reminder to read the description, amenities, rules so they know what to expect."

This should be part of a FAQ for hosts.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

As on-site host I should agree about non readers. They are complicating their own stay and my life. I have no problem to say “no” for demands as early check ins (at 9 -11 am, when check in is from 15), leaving luggage (no safe space for it), using kitchen more, than i put in the description. And I take the risk and accept IB, people without reviews and photos. Finally the majority of my guests were just very nice and respectful. And for nightmare guests there is always an option of canceling their stay. 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

If I rejected people on any of those criteria I'd make no money 😞

The only criteria that really worries me is locals - indeed one of the worst set of,guests were from about 15miles away. I can take all of the other factors if someone is prepared to spend several hours to get here I figure they have some greater purpose than sitting in my basement 🙂

We also live upstairs, which I think reduces the scope for madness. Which reminds me to,go and check on tonight's guests from Utah...

Locals:  the guy who lived 5 miles away,   told me he was doing a set a local bar that night,  didn't show up (2am request),  and when Googled,   had a song about shopping ERs for narcotics in Chicago.

He had done just that,  and had the cajones to send the ER intake receipt requesting a refund.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Jo191, I haven't really had a lot of 'nightmare' guests, but a few that clearly haven't read the listing properly or brought additional people. I think some of your 'deal breakers' would probably apply to heaps of my guests who have turned out to be wonderful! To respond to your list:

Obvious Deal Breakers:

1. No Reviews: doesn't bother me - everyone has to start somewhere.

2. No Picture: I would prefer to see a profile photo and will often ask them to upload one if they don't have one. But it's not a deal breaker.

3. No Verification: You can set up your listing so that guests must be verified before they can book. https://www.airbnb.com.au/help/article/272/can-i-require-guests-to-be-verified-before-booking

4. Bad Review(s): I would read the reviews and take them in context of other reviews. A very bad review would definitely raise alarm bells for me and probably be a deal breaker.

Additional Deal Breakers:

5. Asks for a discount: yes, this does raise alarm bells for me but I just say no discounts as my room is already very cheap.

6. Asks to for an early check in and/or late check out/hold luggage, etc.: usually I just explain that I need time to prepare for the next guests so early check in or late check out is not possible. But I will accommodate early check ins on occasion for people who really need it. It really doesn't bother me if they ask politely and I can just decline if it doesn't suit. Definitely not a deal breaker.

7. Asks to bring more than the maximum guests: this has happened a few times but I've just declined as I cannot accommodate more than 2.

8. It becomes clear they have not read the house rules: this would apply to probably 50% of my bookings! I send all booking requests and Instant Books a message asking them to make sure they have fully read the listing and house rules, then explain that I have a flexible cancellation policy if they don't think it is a good fit for them. I also have a guest manual in the room with a brief list of the important house rules and ask them to read it on arrival.

Deal breakers for me are people with very bad reviews or who want to book and are clearly going outside the listing description i.e. have more than 2 guests or want to bring young children.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Kath, I can't tag you unfortunately but I agree with everything you say.  I have been hosting since January 2015, been a SH since July 2015 and have 254 reviews so I have had a lot of guests as most were couples.   I have had only one or two total nightmare guests early on in my hosting career and learned valuable lessons from them.  

I have to use IB as in London you would get lost in the searches without it but it is still possible to vet guests as long as you set your booking requirements to include Gov ID.  For me the key is communication, you can tell so much from the messages they send and if they don't answer my questions about arrival time etc I just put my foot down and insist.  I have had many potential guests who want to bring a baby or a small child and they get refused. My maximum is 2 guests as I only have one double bed, and yet I still get requests for people telling me there are 3 of them and that I can put an extra mattress on the floor etc and they get refused as well.  I don't allow my guests to use the kitchen, but they can store cold snacks in the fridge and the washing machine is only available for guests staying 4 nights or more.  

People asking for discounts get nowhere with me and people TELLING me that they will be checking in after midnight get stopped right there.  My check in is 3pm to 9pm and there is no wiggle room.  

I don't mind people leaving their luggage in the front room early as I know how awful it is to have to drag luggage around all day and as long as it does not inconvenience me I don't mind them leaving luggage downstairs after check out for collection later on if they have a late flight out.  

Surely most of this is just common sense though, and sticking to your rules - or policies - makes no difference what word is used.  

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

That is a great post! And I couldn't agree more with @Colleen.

Most of my best guests are new to Airbnb and have no profile/photo. Some of my less then ideal guests have been "verified" with 5 great reviews. I’ve hosted hundreds of guests and never had a horrible experience. I try to be as flexible as possible and it really seems to work well.

Your point about 5 star reviews not being a clear indication is significant.

I suspect that the kind of person who travels to Orono is a significant filter,  versus general urban areas.

Very true, sometimes it's nice to be in a small town bubble.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Add my name to the list of people who think these dealbreakers aren't dealbreakers.

Someone has to take first-timers, or there would be no guests for you to host. I'd estimate 75% of my guests are new or have no reviews. The three worst guests I've had all had reviews - good ones. They're not a guarantee of anything. Some hosts are afraid of writing bad reviews.

Picture and ID verification... I have mixed feelings about these. Airbnb will take ID, but then we can't access it anyways, so seems a bit pointless. The guest can verify their account then change the name to something completely different, so I don't think there is too much security there either... it's debatable, for sure.

Asking for an early check in or late check out also isn't a dealbreaker, unless it's done rudely or it's demanded. Same with asking about bringing extra people. As long as it's discussed before booking, I'm fine with it: better that than just turning up with them.

Asking for a discount is the only one that I would potentially consider a dealbreaker. I gave a discount once when I was new, and the guests were a PITA. However, they stayed for 2 weeks, so the charges did make up for it. I still likely wouldn't do it again.

"The guest can verify their account then change the name to something completely different"

That's very true. I'd had verified guests with government IDs and the name on their profile is ‘Kat & Dan.’ Surely, not the name on their license.

Amy-and-Brian0
Level 10
Orlando, FL

Every host has different dealbreakers.

None of these are complete dealbreakers for us by themselves. We've had a few nightmare guests over the last couple of years on AirBnB - food ground into the carpet, feces in the bed, broken items, stolen towels...one guest almost set the kitchen on fire...

That said, the people who we were worried would be terrible have been great and those whom we thought would be great sometimes aren't. The worst guest we had trashed the place like Led Zeppelin in the 70's but had glowing reviews, several verifications, photos, etc. and got another glowing review just a week after trashing our place.(https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/59208180) That one is still perplexing.

Some of the best guests have no photo or reviews or even a negative review.

We've turned away a few weird "Inquiries" but have only cancelled one guest during our time here and it was because we had a setting mixup allowing them to book a single night - Christmas Day.

Yeah, you're gonna get weirdos and that comes with the territory I'm afraid. But generally speaking, our experience has been positive.

Julie1315
Level 2
Greer, SC

Thank- you for your wisdom and experience. I have only had 3 different parties total but have had each one of them ask for an extension in time. I have also had more than one inquiry about a rate reduction. I am amazed at how little some people will take compared to the local hotels around. 

I am looking for some insight or your feelings about one young woman who keeps inquiring. She describes herself as a single female although her picture is of her in a wedding gown holding a mans hand and a bouquet of flowers. She says she lives less than 5 miles away from me and wants to come here to have a getaway? She just re-inquired this time wanting to spend a week and get a rate reduction. She falls into the no reviews bracket.  I really am suspect of her intentions. Some of it makes me feel like she wants to case the joint. My house is secluded and private, I live in the main house that adjoins the rentle space. This type inquiry makes me rethink the whole air bnb experience. What are yourthoughts on this type inquiry? Ive tried to brush her off and told her others were interested in her dates. I am afraid refusing her would hurt me coming right out of the box in this field.