Guest Requests Daytime Only Use

Victoria69
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

Guest Requests Daytime Only Use

Hi fellow hosts!

I just received the attached request from someone asking to use our home to meet privately with a colleague during the day. I’ve had hundreds of stays and haven’t heard something like this before, it seems a little strange/fishy to me but I’m wondering if I’m just thinking too much into it! My on site (next door neighbor) host agrees she felt a little weird about it too, so I thought I’d just reach out here in case anyone has had similar requests or experiences? The person also doesn’t have a profile or any reviews, if they did I would probably wouldn’t be thinking much about it. I try my best to accept most requests, and actually haven’t denied one in years...if ever? I was thinking of just being honest with them that this is a new type of request and if I can get more info on their business/etc. , but was also just curious if anyone here has received something similar! 

Any thoughts or tips/experiences would be appreciated! Thanks in advance 🙂

63B73712-DD06-414B-9D74-D8F6A2203E47.jpeg

28 Replies 28
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I think this is a fishing expedition at best.  The tip for me was the question about self check in since that is literally on the front page of your listing.  Without history, profile and reviews, I would doubt the truthfulness of the message.   If a business person is looking for meeting space, they could find that in a number of office buildings and even hotels.  Go with your gut on this one, @Victoria69 

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! Do you find it's best to simply decline and not message back in situations like this?

I don't know after reading comments on other posts seems that guests can put negative reviews even when not staying at your place, this despite airbnbs "policy".

So given that I would be reluctant to give him a reason that he could later use against you in a review..

That said, declining his reservation request may impact you negatively,  though I am not sure about this.

Good Luck!

@Shilda0  The only time a guest can leave a review without having stayed is if they or the host cancel the reservation the day of check-in or the guest never shows up but doesn't bother to cancel.

No one can leave a review if the reservation was never accepted and confirmed.

Right in the case I read, The host stated that the guest cancelled the reservation the day before check-in and then wrote a nasty review for not getting refunded despite the cancellation policy requiring a longer notice.

@Shilda0 I've decided when requests like this happen I'm going to take the hit that happens when requests are denied.  There are more and more stories from hosts about drug transactions happening in their properties, sex workers using their properties, pimps housing trafficked women in properties.  I'm not willing to deal with any of that.  I'm super careful now-a-days.  We are talking our homes/properties.  I'm not willing to take chances like that.

@Victoria69   I write a polite, banal message saying words to the effect that it is not an arrangement I can accommodate. If I think they may persist, I block the day(s) as soon as I have declined so they can't make another reservation.  btw: there is a website called liquid space that rents  private rooms by the hour(s) for office meetings. Good luck!

Shilda0
Level 2
San Marcos, CA

I am a realtor and this sounds like a listing hacker.   They go to homes and show it as their own to potential "tenants/renters.   Collect a move in deposit from the unsuspecting renter/customer only to never be heard from again.  Renter shows up with moving truck few days later and no access to the home as the person renting it out was never the owner, only claimed to be.  I would be very cautious with this type of request.

Oh wow I didn't even think about that, but have definitely heard of that happening! 

The same here. Old and well known real estate scammers practice.

@Victoria69 

@Shilda0 

I would think if this were a real estate scam like this, they would want kitchen, bedroom, shower etc "serviced"

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

Hadn't thought of that! However someone could rent it as normal and carry out this trick, might cost them a nights stay but the rewards would be there. Not sure how we can prevent this type of abuse of a property?

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Victoria69 agree with @Linda108 

"I am looking for somewhere cheap where I can carry on an affair with my colleague. As long as you have self check-in I will maintain plausible deniability."

Cynic that I am...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Victoria69  "My colleague and I are in the drug trade. We need a private place to meet to divide up and repackage the bulk product."