Guest Sleeping Habits

Louise18
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

Guest Sleeping Habits

I have noticed that some guests do not sleep between the sheets. Instead they sleep between the top sheet and the bedspread. Can anyone shed some light on this. I have replaced my original bedspreads (dry clean only) with the washing maching variety. Thanks

45 Replies 45
Margaret0
Level 8
Dublin, Ireland

They might think that the bedspread is  a duvet with a changeable washable cover like we have in Europe.  Typically here people use just a bottom sheet and a duvet. I give two sheets as I put an electric blanket in between the duvet and the top sheet but some people will take it off and sleep on top of the top sheet.  In fact with feather duvets you are not meant to use a top sheet as the point is that they drape right around you. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I've had the odd guest that even took the extra blanket between the sheets.

Different cultures do seem to have differing bedding uses. After a couple times hosting guests from Asian countries it seemed as if they had slept on top of the thin duvet instead of  under it (in Europe it's used instead of a bedsheet). Since I had placed the pillows on top of it when preparing the bed I decided henceforth to place them underneath to get the message across, and that has helped!

Just gotta say it the right way!

What I do is fold back the top sheet and blanket into a neat triangle and tuck the end under the bed. I then pull the quilt over that (which is like a bedspread). This way, when the guest flips back the quilt he/she will see the "invitation" to sleep between the sheets. It would not be very comfortable sleeping on top of the double folded back blanket and top sheet!

I have also found some guests have slept on top of the bed spread and pulled out the blankets to cover themselves. I too had the top sheet and light blanket turned down as an invitation. I now have to clean blankets and bed covers instead of just sheets! I'm going to resort to putting up a sign or adding it to my welcome spiel. Or adding it to my house rules. Maybe they feel they are helping by not using the sheets? Or can guarantee a good review?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Louise18

My opinion is that everything in the short term rental has to be as simple as possible. Because our guests came from different countries and have different habits. Even I would have to scratch my head over american beddings so you can immagine a guest from far east.

The european way of making bed is the simplest to understand , maintain and to wash.

It is:

1. waterproof fitted sheet ( mattrass protection)
  2. bottom fitted sheet 
  3. duvet inside the cover (duvetcase)

+ pillow in the pillow protection cover and pillowcase

so after every guest we have to wash 1 bottom sheet and 1 duvet cover + 1 pillowcase 

optional, during winter time we have an extra blanket in the cabinet so if they feel cold they can use it but usually nobody does.

During summer time ,when it is very hot we give them just the empty duvet cover without the duvet (it's like double top sheet) 

We got no complains in 9 months of hosting

So after every single visit, even a one night visit, you remove the duvet from the cover and wash it and the other blanket that your guests may have used?

Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Rebecca0  Yes!!

We take the duvet cover off and wash it after 'every single visit'! 

If we keep blankets in a cupboard for guests to use on chilly nights, no, blankets aren't washed after every visit as they go on top of the duvet and don't go next to the skin.

Personally, I have never had a guest who used these blankets as they can just turn the heating up.  And the summers here in Scotland are never hot enough to need anything less than a duvet!

I've never had guests from the US who queried the lack of a top-sheet under the duvet.  They had probably had the experience of the UK style before they got as far as this little island!

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Wash the duvet cover every time? - yup, that's how we roll in these parts.  It's one reason my minimum stay is 3 nights!

In my case the blankets are in a drawer under the bed and I ask guests to leave out any that they have used when they leave, so that I know to wash them.  Also I leave  them folded in a particular way, so I know if they've been taken out.  They're fleece blankets so not difficult to wash & dry.

Chris-And-Keith0
Level 1
Matamata, New Zealand

This is probably one of our biggest issues we have as hosts too.  We have put it in our House Rules and have a bright orange sheet of paper in the compendium which reads 'Our beds have a top and bottom sheet.  For hygience purposes you are asked to sleep between the two'.  This does not help either.

Then this weekend I had a guest send me a private reivew (thank god it was not public!) which read 'The request to sleep between the two sheets concerned us - are you telling us that the blankets are not clean?'. 

What to do??????

I live in Philadelphia and I have had the same issue with International guests. My place seems to have been put on some list of places to stay in Philadelphia in Asian countries because I am getting a lot of guests from China. They seem not to relaize that one is supposed to sleep between the fitted sheet and the top sheet - why else would there be two sheets there? But I have to keeo taking the linen duvet cover off the comfoter every week to clean it, which is a hassle. The two sheets are VERY clean, which is why you sleep between them. The comfortor isn't filthy or anything. But that's because it;s not supposed to be covering your body, but rather the sheet which is covering your body. I get that people might be grossed out thinking that the blanet isn't clean if they are supposed to sleep between the sheets. But are we to believe that everyone in Europe and Asia and Russia (also happened with Russian guests) washes every blanket every time they have a visitor? I find it hard to believe that people are washing down comfortors or blankets after a one or two night visit.

I'm having the very same problem here. I've not written anything on house rules but try things like turn down folds but no luck. I've even shown guests.  It seems to be Chinese guests only. 

Have you any other suggestions. I'm having wash my expensive duvets after each visit. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

I also had this problem with my Asian guests when I first started hosting and it used to infuriate me. I would turn down the top sheet to make it really obvious, i put it in my house rules, but nothing worked. Now I turn the top sheet OVER the doona (duvet) and tuck it in at the sides. Problem solved! 

Hi Kath, lucky you to have solved the issue!! 

Im having the very same problem and have tried all the same as you. 

Ive invested in very good linen and get good reviews because of it but they will not keep looking good if being washed after just one night. 

Ive also noticed although my Chinese guests shower each day they don't always use the towel but always the facecloths. 

Christina1473
Level 1
Mount Gambier, Australia

Yes, that's what works for me too. I always use top sheets to give more protection to the  Duvet. It's cover is washed after each use. And is checked to be sure its sanitised and safe for health.