Guest access during the day

Susan348
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Guest access during the day

Do other hosts allow guests in and out during the day?  I choose to make it clear to guests that I expect the apartment to be empty during the day (10-5) because I work from home during that time (as a writer and freelanc coach).  Usually this is fine and guests keep to this guideline.  Occasionally I get people who think it's ok to stay in bed until lunchtime and then go our or just hang out in their room for the day.  I am wondering if my guidleline is considered reasonable by other hosts?  I

I'm of the view that if people want to be during the day they should book a hotel.  Airbnb does stand for bed and breakfast after all and every host has different house rules which suit them.  I have found it difficult to say anything to them when they are here because I am nervous that they will give me a bad review.  Airbnb ask for almost perfect scoring to hold on to superhost status.  I have just lost my superhost status because one guest gave me a 4 instead of a 5 because my interent was down for one night (not my fault). 

Any thoughts from any of you?

55 Replies 55

@Susan348

It really depends and as long as you are clear on your expectations in advance and guests clearly acknowledge and agree to follow those rules  then I think it's up to the host to decide. To be honest, expected the guest to vacate from 10-5 is not common so imo with rules like yours, it should be reiterated very clearly to the guest at the time of inquiry/booking.

As a guest user, personally I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a house rule like that...... I'd feel like the host is literally "kicking me out" during the day 🙂  (but then that's just me~ each to their own~) 

Like you, Henry works from home too and we've never felt like the guest's presence at home is a problem to Henry's ability to focus on work since he has his own private work space (study). If it was a problem, we'd probably rethink our hosting strategy, maybe screen guests better to make sure they are the type to go out a lot instead of telling them they can't be home during the day. 

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Susan348

I'm sorry but the days of Land lady with rolling pin and stating out by 10.00am and only allowed back in after 5.00pm are long gone.

It is not about Bed n Breakfast or even Bed n Bath, your guests are renting a room which is theirs for the duration of their stay.

I also work from home and often have guests here through out of the day, being an AirBnB host means being flexible and understanding.

If you are not happy with having guests in your home during the day then you will find guests feeling uncomfortable with their stay and your reviews will be marked down accordingly.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Like @Chris232 said, Airbnb isn’t an acronym for B&B, and the expectations are much higher. Being banned from the house during daylight hours feels a bit weird.

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

Definitely not. They're renting a room and they should have access to it. I guess it's technically ok to kick them out if your house rules say so, but I think most people won't understand that or want to abide by it. 

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

I think your request that people leave the house during the day to be very odd. I wouldn't book at such a place.... however you are quite clear in your listing description that this is your expectation. I would highly suggest that you add this requirement to "Other Things to Note" within the House Rules so that guests have actually agreed to leave during the daytime hours.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Bryan10  I completely agree with you. You can not rent a room only to be told it's hours of use are only XX to XX. @Susan348 What if the person booking were a night owl who wants to sleep during the day? I am actually amazed you get so many bookings with a rule like that. 

Susan348
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I appreciate hosts taking their time to get back to me re my query.  so thank you all for that and for your time.  I am rather taken aback though at the negativity from so many.    I am a very good host who gets good reviews and I welcome my guests warmly to a lovely home.   I was just asking other hosts how they manage their listings.  Let's support one another rather than be critical -this is a community support group after all.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Susan348

Susan, you asked precisely for...."I am wondering if my guidleline is considered reasonable by other hosts?"   We have replied to you that, 'in our opinion' your guideline (in a hosting sense) is unreasonable, and, you consider it as 'negativity' on the part of the community that we are not praising you for your stance here.

Here in the community we do support each other Susan, but that doesn't mean we should automatically agree with things we personally find unpalatable in a hosting environment.

Please do not throw the 'lack of support card' at us because we don't agree with you.....you asked and, we don't agree with you, ok!

Cheers.....Rob

Lee3034
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Nobody was being critical they were stating the point of view to a specific question. Why ask for feedback if you are going to take it personally? Stay with your head in the sand to overall expectations.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Susan348   I'm not quite sure what you read as "negativity from so many". You asked, others answered. I also work from home, but find it totally unreasonable to expect guests to be limited to certain hours of the day when they can actually avail themselves of the room and the amenities they paid for. Even if Airbnb was the same as a Bed and Breakfast, I've never heard of a B&B that tells their guests they have to vacate the premises from xxAM to xxPM. 

@Sarah977 wrote:

@Susan348I've never heard of a B&B that tells their guests they have to vacate the premises from xxAM to xxPM. 

This used to be the "norm" in the UK. No longer the case based on my more recent travels.

@Susan151  Seems bizarre to me, but thank you for the enlightenment. Learn something new every day.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I could not tag you Sarah, but if you do not know about the legendary BandB establishments with their formiddable landladies, please read the book called Notes From A Small Island by Bill Bryson.  Not only will you laugh until you weep, you will also get a wonderful insight into the world of English seaside resorts which existed until quite recently!

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Susan348Most of these hosts are simply disagreeing with your policy, not being negative. You asked, they answered.

I agree, I think it is unreasonable to ask a paying guest to stay out of the room from 10am-5pm. And as a guest, I would never book a room with those requirements.

However, if you make it crystal clear in your listing that is what you demand, then you are well within your right to continue that policy.

Happy Hosting!