Guest allowances

Nancy1282
Level 2
Delray Beach, FL

Guest allowances

Hello Hosts

I have  2 bedroom home. One out of through two bedrooms are used for guest. The last few guest where mef students in their late 20's. I find that they seem to have a sense of entitlement. I don't allow kitchen access and my guest is clear. I told him he could use the microwave and frig

Today he filled the frig including eggs. Now he is his room singing and playing guitar. Need some support. He is here for 30 days

I'm s super host and would like to keep that title. Does playing guitar and singing sit OK for some of you?

I don't want to overreact. Thoughts please?

4 Replies 4
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Of all the things guests get up to, singing and playing guitar sounds... great, actually. @Nancy1282 . But is it at 3 am? Then you might say something. Do you have quiet hours listed?

You did tell him he could use the fridge. Some hosts mark certain shelves for guests so they don't fill it right up with their things. 

Wow, though, if he is a loud and terrible singer, it is going to be a long 30 days.

@Nancy1282   This guest sounds perfectly fine to me, but you might consider adding Quiet Hours to your House Rules so you can at least know when the serenading will stop. Beyond that, I guess my question to you would be: how would you choose to communicate with this guest if you knew he wasn't going to rate/review you?  If keeping SH status is a priority, keep an eye on the balance sheet to know what you're giving up for it. 

Another thing I would question is, are you sure hosting stays of this duration is right for you? 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Unless he is playing his guitar and singing late at night or super early in the morning, disturbing your sleep, or he's playing an electric guitar with an amp, or playing for 5 hours a day, I fail to see what is unacceptable about his behavior.  Nor why putting food in the fridge which you offer the use of would be objectionable. 

Perhaps home-sharing isn't really something you are suited for if these things are bothering you. 

@Nancy1282

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Nancy1282 The best thing you can do is be as clear as possible with shared spaces. Lately I have gotten a lot of longer term travel nurses and med students because I am close to a hospital. I clear out 2 shelves in the fridge and pantry for them and let them know during the home tour/welcome that these are specifically for them. I also reiterate any rules I find very important, such as quiet hours or off limit areas. This helps establish a clear understanding from the start as some guest fail to read the rules in the listings. 

As for him playing the guitar, as everyone else said unless it is at a late hour, or obscenely loud, it really is not a violation of anything, unless you specifically have rules against this. If you are a person who enjoys a more quiet atmosphere at all times,  hosting is going to be a tuff ride.