Guest asked to provide masks

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Guest asked to provide masks

This is a group of seven arriving in four hours for several days. So it is not like they just need one mask. I feel the request goes beyond what is customary. Since I don’t have a lobby or common space I do not require masks and therefore should not be expected to provide them. This is a personal item to be used outside of my Airbnb. I’m also not an errand service that can drop everything and run to buy them masks. In the end I know I will - it is not worth it to start the guest’s experience with a refusal to accommodate them. Do you supply masks for you guess?

32 Replies 32

@Branka-and-Silvia0  And Airbnb is constantly adding things to the amenities list. The more they add, the more hosts appear to be somehow unhospitable or cheap when we only have a few amenities checked.

@Sarah977  guests don't read amenities.... or anything else, anyway 🙂

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Sarah977  The list has gotten kind of random.  Are people really going to choose an Airbnb because it has a bread maker or a rice cooker?  

@Mark116  How about the chances of them booking your place because it has a Westinghouse fridge instead of a Samsung?  🙂 Or booking based on the brand of shampoo you provide? It's absurd.

The brand of shampoo provided isn't fancy enough for you? Go buy your own.

It's like if they get feedback from one guest saying it would have been nice to have a rice cooker, they add it to the list.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Sarah977 @Mark116 @Branka-and-Silvia0 

I think our reviews maybe effect by how well stocked the airbnb. I dare them to show my one guest who clicked on the amenity list. I have a slow cooker at each property. Still covered in plastic in the original box. And I know my guests are not shy to rip through what is in the kitchen.

@Inna22  I had to google to find out what the hell is a slow cooker 😄 I don't know anyone who has it and use it, European kitchens are too small for fancy gadgets 😉

@Branka-and-Silvia0  I use one at home pretty often - especially in the winter, when nothing beats a hearty overnight braise. But I can't imagine using one on vacation, especially in a city full of restaurants. 

My approach to amenities has never been to appease every imaginable expectation, but rather to zero in on the features that reflect the kind of guest I'm narrowly targeting. That's definitely not people who plan to cook elaborate meals, unless of course they're sharing.

Being asked to hand out masks would rub me the wrong way - loo lazy, too needy. But at least these people aren't making a big drama about having to wear them. 

@Anonymous Good point about no drama as far as wearing them!

@Branka-and-Silvia0  You should see the number of plugs over the kitchen counters there are in modern American or Canadian homes. There's enough plugs to have 20 appliances plugged in. 

When I built my home and my electrician asked how many kitchen plugs I wanted over the counters, I said 2. I have a blender, a toaster, and a coffee grinder. That's it. 

My yuppie daughter has a blender, a toaster, a toaster oven, an electric coffee maker, a coffee grinder, a food processor, a mix master, a juicer, a waffle iron, an electric kettle, an electric grill, a microwave, and probably a half dozen other things I can't remember.

These things don't all sit out on the counters- she has a cupboard full of these appliances.

@Sarah977  I also don't need appliances.... or a kitchen anymore. Since my daughter moved to her place I am eating outside at the local restaurant or just order lunch 🙂

But, I roasted chestnuts today :))) They are delicious this year, probably bc the summer was long and dry

@Branka-and-Silvia0,

You made me chuckle.  The truth is that kitchens in older US homes are about the same size as a European home.  It's the more recently built or renovated spaces that have the large or open kitchens.  BTW, slow cookers come in small sizes, too.

Debra300_0-1633718476806.jpeg

I love my slow cooker :))))))) 

Very popular in Ireland for making soups and casseroles.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Inna22,

We keep a supply of disposable surgical masks and small purse-size bottles of hand sanitizer available for guests since it is legally required to wear masks in public, and upon entry into most businesses a person's hands are either sprayed with sanitizer by a guard upon entry, or the same guard will direct the person to use the automated dispenser to sanitize their hands.  We don't advertise this (in the same manner that we don't state we have travel size personal hygiene items available if a guest forget, or their luggage was delayed/lost), and give them to guests who are staying at least 4 nights (folks who stay 2 or 3 nights rarely leave their suite, anyway). Guests will use them if they are provided in the room, but we've not had any guest request masks or sanitizer.  

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Inna22 I would not supply this ask/demand/request. I offer hand gel in every room of the cottage and wipes. If folks are traveling and come without a mask they will be met with some surprises in some places. I personally would not do it....it's irresponsible on their part and I don't promote behavior like that. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Never heard of a 'slow-cooker' but certainly have of a 'Crock-Pot'.