Guest asks for additional cancellation time

Shelly126
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

Guest asks for additional cancellation time

My guest has not booked yet but is asking in advance if she can have more than the 48 hr cancellation period. Her reservation request is 4 months out. How can I safely accommodate her request?

20 Replies 20
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Sarah977  @Shelly126  Here are the cancellation policies.  A “full refund” means the guest is refunded, in full, including the Airbnb fee.  There are many instances in which a full refund is given after the first 48 hours, depending on policy.

• Flexible cancellation policy: If guests cancel up to 24 hours before their check-in time, they can get a full refund. Less than 24 hours before check-in, the first night is non-refundable but 100% of the nightly rate for the remaining nights will be refunded.
  • Moderate cancellation policy: If guests cancel up to 5 days before check-in, they can get a full refund. Less than 5 days before check-in, the first night is non-refundable but 50% of the nightly rate for the remaining nights will be refunded.
  • Firm cancellation policy: If guests cancel up to 30 days before check-in, they can get a full refund. After that, guests can cancel up to 7 days before check-in and get a 50% refund on the nightly rate for all nights. After that, no refund will be given. Guests can also get a full refund if they cancel within 48 hours of booking as long as the cancellation occurs at least 14 days before check-in.
  • Strict cancellation policy: If guests cancel within 48 hours of booking, they can get a full refund as long as the cancellation occurs at least 14 days before check-in. After that, guests can get a 50% refund on the nightly rate for all nights as long as they cancel 7 days before check-in. After that, no refund will be given. 

There is one caveat:

• Airbnb service fees: Service fees are refunded if you cancel during the free cancellation period for your reservation. However, if the canceled reservation overlaps with another of your reservations or if you’ve already received 3 service fee refunds in the last 12 months, it won’t be refunded.
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pat271  Yes, that's what I said- service fees are refunded only on 3 cancellations per year.

@Sarah977 

You said: 

A host is free to refund all of the nightly fee that a guest paid, regardless of the cancellation policy. So I don't see why you need to go through all these manuevers. However, you can't do anything about the Airbnb fees that the guest will lose if she cancels more than 48 hours after booking. You can't change that.

The reason you “need to go through all these maneuvers” is that if the guest cancels the booking on Airbnb and a supporting policy is set, the Airbnb service fee will be refunded automatically in many instances, even after the first 48 hours.

Maybe I'm just a stickler, but I find it so much less stressful to adhere to the "policies" as much as possible.  If she needs more time to figure out her vacation plans, she can roll the dice and wait.  But you shouldn't have to block off your calendar while she takes more than 2 days to figure her stuff out.  

@Jennifer2682  I don’t believe anyone suggested blocking off a calendar. I do agree with you that guests should educate themselves about policies, and look for policies that fit their needs. However, the OP is asking about extending the initial 48 hour cancellation window in some way, as a favor to the guest.

As an aside, I have of late been using the “Firm” cancellation policy, in which guests get completely free cancellation up until 30 days before check-in. This is a new policy that gives guests some flexibility if they want to book a couple of months in advance, and for many locations gives the host enough time to rebook (30 days) if the guest cancels. 

Shelly126
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

It wasn’t a surprise to me that after I went through all this, getting information checking with the community, changed my cancellation policy to “Firm” etc etc the guest never responded and didn’t book. 

I have received  a new reservation for that time. No questions asked. 

The guests that try for options not usually posted aren’t usually ready to commit. 

thank you all,