Guest booked room for 1 person and 2 people arrive, what can I do?

Alma0
Level 4
Barcelona, Spain

Guest booked room for 1 person and 2 people arrive, what can I do?

A guest book my room in my house with instant-book for just one person, but instead two people arrive.

I did request the payment to the guest, but they never did,

I did not want to start a fight so on the last day I did not say anything, and I just let them go.

Can I claim this using  Airbnb protection?

10 Replies 10
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Alma0, because your settings indicate 'extra people No Charge', it's possible the guest thought the price included 1-2 persons. 

(Unfortunately, this has been a matter of confusion in the past.)

It's necessary to state in the 'extra guests' box the amount you expect to receive from the second person. 

Another option is to get rid of the 'extra people' box altogether. You can do this by going to your settings, entering a very large amount, and then hitting 'Save'. When you open the page anew, the box should be gone. (This was a tip I got from an experienced host here.

You could then raise the price slightly, and indicate in your listing that it is for 1-2 people. Or mention in at least two places in your listing that there is a further charge for a second guest. Another option is to disable IB, and when someone requests to book you can ask specifically how many guests will be arriving. 

In your shoes, I would not pursue the matter further, since guests in principle should not be expected to adhere to conditions not indicated clearly in the listing. In any case, the matter is not covered by AirBnB protection, as it's the host's responsibility to be clear about the price. 

When you checked the guest's itinerary, was it not indicated there that the number of guests would be 2?

I'd also suggest not using Instant Book, especially until you have fine-tuned your listing regarding specifics. 

I'd recommend charging a Security Deposit, and making your House Rules more specific and comprehensive. 

Not everyone treats their own home with respect, and so may - as strange as it sounds - be ignorant of what a respected home might look like in our view. 

Hi Donna

I do charge " extra person " for this listing, (I do have another listings wich I don't charge for extra person. )

The guest recognise that it was her fault of booking just for one person, and she did offer to pay to me, but after two days she did not, and even that I told her several times.

I've been using instant-book for three years and this is the first time it happens,  

I'm just not good with confrontations, and I did not want to have a bad feeling in my house while I was hosting her.

Can I claim this with Airbnb?

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Alma0, do you have a Security Deposit for this listing? If so, it's possible AirBnB might deduct the amount from it. 

Another possibility might be to go to your settings and change the guest's reservation & price details to show clearly what the adjusted price would be. Then send this form to the guest, which she needs to approve (or can decline). In principle, she should 'accept' the changes, and her payable fee would be adjusted accordingly.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what recourse you have. 

I hope that other more experienced hosts here will advise. 

Jole1
Level 1
Newquay, United Kingdom

Yes, I had a couple book with instant book, said in terms not suitable for young children as I work very hard and not sure I fancy a crying teething baby waking up my household, they arrived with very adorable 2 year old and then left a bad review as wasnt suitable for kids, I then lost my superhost status and they gave me a 3 star rating, which lost me hundreds of pounds in bookings. We definatley need a kid booking sections and I would be happy to charge half, but have now been totally put off and changed it to no kids at all. Then just now I had a couple  send a pre approval book for two people for tonight, then change the booking for one and they are on their way apparently, they are even airbnb hosts so know how this works. We need greater protection from this as hosts. 

Irene37
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

The tip for getting rid of the extra person charge does not seem to work for me. I tried setting it to a very large charge, as suggested, and the system said the maximum was £207. When I set it to £207, this showed in my listing.

It is very confusing for potential guests. I have a strict maximum of 2 guests, as the space cannot accommodate any more. Yet the extra charge of £0, or any other amount, suggests an extra guest is possible. I have lots of enquiries for 3 guests, despite the listing making clear that the maximum is 2. I feel I cannot switch to Instant Booking because of this.

Regards to everyone. This is my first post.

Irene

@Irene, unfortunately, AirBnB seems to have caught on to this trick, and have disabled it. Apparently it's no longer working, which is most annoying. The only solution seems to be to be very clear in the listing (perhaps mention it in a couple of places, including in the basic description under the main image at the top of the listing page).

I would, in any case, strongly advise you not to use Instant Book. You can check the 'Search the community' box above for plenty of horror stories from hosts who have had experiences with it. It's best to have maximum control in terms of who uses your accommodation.  

@Donna15 Thanks so much for the tip to get rid of the Extra Person charge!  That's great!  I've had it set a zero because I have a firm maximum, but that leaves people to think extra people can come at no charge.   Yay! Gone!

@Clare, you're more than welcome. 

I wish I could remember which host first mentioned this, as I'd love to give her credit for the wonderful tip. If I happen to come across the original thread again, I'll make a point of noting her name. 

Come to think of it, I'll bet there are other little 'work-arounds' that we simply don't know about. 😉

@Donna15 Absolutely! She should get a medal for this.  Please pass along any other tips you come across...we need them!

Keith310
Level 1
Cairns, Australia

I did exactly this as a first time user, I just read you are paying for 2 double beds, skipped to the dates as I was in a hurry before the room sold out. I unintentionally only booked myself instead of family of 3, But after I paid for this I realised and logged back in again and altered it - it came back as "no additional charge". whew. Keith