Guest booked before checking my check-in times

Guest booked before checking my check-in times

I'm having a somewhat uncomfortable situation with a perspective guest at the moment.

He has booked 3 nights. After booking, he sent me a message informing that he will be coming at 5 A.M. (of the first night).  I do not offer a 24 hour check-in and as is stated in my listing description. I have now told him that and that the best thing I can do is check him in at 7 A.M. which is the earliest I can get there. He's complaining that he has paid the extra day and should not be made to wait "under the door".

What do you guys sugest I do in this situation? Should I ask him to change his reservation to 2 days / to refund him one night? But then I will have to check him in at 7 A.M. because I told him so already, which means I have to block the night before and lose any potential bookings for this night.
Has anyone had similar issues? I would also like to figure out a way to prevent them in the future.

9 Replies 9
Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

Put a lock-box on the door with the key and give him the number so he can enter the unit, then go at 7am and do whatever your check-in thing is.  In general having a lock box or electronic lock will save you these headaches and provide better service to your guests.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Daria20, out of interest, what are the usual check in/check out times stated on your listing?

@Huma0 I checked @Daria20 's listing, it is 2-11pm.

@Daria20 be firm, it is the guest's responsibility to be aware of this before booking. I suggest to contact airbnb right away, so they are aware. That way, if there is any issue/cancellation, you will not be penalized for it.

This is one of the reasons why I also state check-in and out time in my house rules and always ask for ETA before accepting a booking.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Daria20, I agree with @Farah1. If your check in times are on your listing, the guest should comply with them. Flagging it with Airbnb is a good idea also. You are already doing this guy a massive favour by agreeing to go there at 7 am.

This is one tough crowd, you are in the hospitality buisness and you should be doing whatever you can to accomidate guests.  If someone is renting an entire unit then what is the point of checking them in?  I have allways used the lock box and my guests love it, I have never received less than a 5 star rating for check-in.  They get detailed instructions from me prior to check-in and have my cell phone if they need me.  This is really what ABB guest want.

@Jonathan6Thanks so much for your suggestion, but I am renting only my apartment in the whole apartment unit. Guests have to go through the common main entrance door downstairs which can only be unlocked with a key, so unfortunately that's not an option for me.
I like to be there when the guest arrives to show them around and get to know them - most guests seem to like this too 🙂 If i cant be there I leave the key with security downstairs (also not 24/7 though) and they check-in by themsleves.

@Farah1@Huma0@Helga0

Thank you very much for your answers and support!
The guest turned out to be a very rude inadequate person - I was expecting something of that sort from his initial messages. He cancelled and started sending me extremely rude messages along the lines that "all you on airbnb are idiots who only want to stuff as many $ up your ... as you can" etc. 

So I've reported him and blocked him. Not a very good aftertaste but at least the problem is solved...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Daria20 oh dear! I am sorry to hear that, but I would count it as a lucky escape. Sometimes it's just not worth the money!

I had a similar experience recently, although not as bad. Guest wanted to leave his bags here for a whole day after he left. I said I couldn't guarantee this as I didn't have my work schedule for that day yet. He was desperate to book and kept messaging me. I took the booking only when he would clearly confirm that he 100% understood I couldn't guarantee either an early check in or for him to keep his bags here for an extra day. I sent him left luggage details just in case.

This is what he responded:

"thank you。When you ensure your time,if you cannot do me a favor, i will find a station to put my bag。I am so grateful that you will tell me your plan close to that date。Anyway,A great start for us to know eachother。smile"

As it turns out, I had to work on the evening he wanted to pick up his bags. When I told him, he immediately cancelled with a very short, terse message. This was a couple of hours before the cancellation policy kicked in, so he got a full refund, but I was unable to get another booking, even in high season, due to the short notice. Fine. I thought to myself that it was better I did not have this person stay in my home. I have a feeling he would have left his bags anyway and taken my keys. Or, left in a huff and left me a bad review. Who knows what other hassles he would have given me while here. People who ignore your rules before they even arrive are bad news!

Sorry about the abusive messages you have received. You are very right to report/flag him!!

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Well done to pay the extra night, but could do better and ask first. 

Is there anything open at 5 am? If so, I would offer him breakfast there. 

For a while, I had a sentece in the description about check-in and to better book the first night in an airport hotel, if they can't make it. With a late checkin fee, which would apply in this case. 

The fee and the night together plus the taxi were higher than airport night plus public transport. 

I now have a keysafe, but only for emergencies. Stupid and no communication does not count as emergency for me.