Guest booked for a party and Airbnb is rehousing him

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Guest booked for a party and Airbnb is rehousing him

I got a reservation for this weekend from a local guy with one 1.5 star review. According to review, he threw a party. I read him my party riot act (I check IDs, have counter installed, etc). Silence for a few days, my calendar is blocked. This morning he tells me that he was planning on bringing "a few" friends over and they tend to be loud so he better cancel. Now airbnb is calling me to give him full refund so they can rehouse him "and help him have a good time"! When I questioned the caller how this works with the new anti party policy, she said she will not discuss it with me. When I pressed further, she said they would only do anything if it is active party in progress. And what are they going to do at that point? Send out a SWAT team? Which is short for Stop Wild party Airbnb Team who are a group of professionals trained in speed dialing 911 and putting out press releases? 

43 Replies 43
Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Ugh. I received an email from Airbnb about installing a “noise” monitor to ward off parties. But if it alerts you/ then what? 

That’s akin to shutting the gate when the horse has bolted.

I don’t expect anything else from Airbnb anymore.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

How foolish I was to think that a house full of people dead by violence would finally force airbnb to stop enabling guest bad and illegal behavior. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Why is a guest with a 1.5 review still allowed on the platform?

@Laura2592 

Only a one star review prevents guests from instantly booking. So if you have a guest that you really need to warn other hosts about, you'll have to give them 1 stars across the board. That's how you play the game apparently.

Hi @Emilia42 

Where did You find the stipulation that only a 1* all across the board review prevents guests from Instant Book?

@Ute42 

I remember a post by @Kelly149 where she talks about her experience with a customer service rep telling her this. It is hard to find truth and consistency amongst the CS reps but I have read of cases where guests with overall star ratings of 2 are still able to instant book.

If I'm not mistaken it's not the star ratings that can prevent an instant book, it's the host recommendation. Near the end of the review process, hosts are asked if they'd host the guest again. If a host checks "no" (they won't host them) and the new listing has IB, but with the condition that the guest has a  recommendation from a previous host, then the instant booking option isn't available to this guest (because they don't have a recommendation).

@Matt26 thanks for this info because I just had an unpleasant experience last week and would like to give the next host a heads up.

Unannounced and a non paying extra person showed up after the confirmed guest checked in (she could have been underage, I don’t know), empty alcohol bottles and a pile of condoms were left behind two hours later. Clearly a one night stand. Of course they were upset, but thank God they left (after I called the police).  Not what I expect from an Airbnb guest. They checked in Saturday night at 10 pm and left at midnight after I addressed that the second non paying person has to leave. Two young kids just needed a room for sex. I am not sharing my home for that purpose. Based on this experience, I am not taking in locals in ever again. I thought he was from Montreal, as he explained. Turns out he’s from Toronto. Hosts have to be so careful when screening people. Airbnb did not give me a chance to write a review on this person yet. How does this work?

I no longer rent to locals either. The last one lied, said it was a staycation for her and her young daughter. It was a party that my neighbors alerted to me.  I called them at 2am, said I was coming over to ensure the party stops. 14 cars, about 30 people, ruined carpet, broken glasses and pissed neighbors. The next day I installed exterior cameras.  And Airbnb did nothing. 

@Emilia42 You can turn on the setting that says they must be recommended by another host.  I was told, that even one "no" that the host would not house them again, would block that person from instant booking a listing with this threshold.  It also blocks anyone who is new to the platform too.  

not that any of the CS know anything for sure or that these things don't change from one minute to the next @Alice-and-Jeff0 but I've been told (by someone who seemed to know what they were talking about...) that the "would you host again" question counted for nothing, that stars had to be below 2 and that there had to be a pattern of repeated bad reviews to keep someone from IB.

Goodness knows there isn't anything actually printed that hosts can rely on

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

So much for prevention. I am so glad that Airbnb is helping guests repeat bad behavior. This anti party campaign is going to work so well!

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Inna22  Personally, I think you should refund him and send him party balloons and an ice sculpture for his big blowout! <snark>

Ridiculous!!!!