Guest booked for a party and Airbnb is rehousing him

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Guest booked for a party and Airbnb is rehousing him

I got a reservation for this weekend from a local guy with one 1.5 star review. According to review, he threw a party. I read him my party riot act (I check IDs, have counter installed, etc). Silence for a few days, my calendar is blocked. This morning he tells me that he was planning on bringing "a few" friends over and they tend to be loud so he better cancel. Now airbnb is calling me to give him full refund so they can rehouse him "and help him have a good time"! When I questioned the caller how this works with the new anti party policy, she said she will not discuss it with me. When I pressed further, she said they would only do anything if it is active party in progress. And what are they going to do at that point? Send out a SWAT team? Which is short for Stop Wild party Airbnb Team who are a group of professionals trained in speed dialing 911 and putting out press releases? 

43 Replies 43
Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Inna22, @Emilia42 , @Rebecca181 , @Susan17 ,

Nothing will change.

After Orinda Brian Chesky did an interview in a Recode Decode podcast, You can listen to it right here:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/recode-decode/e/65139472?autoplay=true

And there's a transcript of that interview right there:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kOWrMlS4z6clBJqlgSNSe8uDJaPnL8Ohbz6_7M3CoPQ/edit

Brian Chesky says, he's doing management by press releases:

2019-12-12 management by press release.jpg

It's on 3 minutes and 52 seconds where he talks about the press releases.

Yes, they are putting out press releases, but not to fasten the deadlines but to calm down the public, that's all.

Nothing will happen beyond that, as Inna's case shows.

@Ute42 

"Not all would prevent Orinda"

Well no.. none of them would prevent Orinda, because Orinda is a place, a neighbourhood, a community that existed long, long before Airbnb ever came to town.

Surely he means "Not all would prevent the terrible tragedies that took place in Orinda", or "Not all would have prevented the senseless loss of 5 young lives at an out-of-control Airbnb party in Orinda"

But hey.. just plain "Orinda" makes it sound sooo much more santised and civilised, than having to allude to those pesky dead kids. Better to tar the enclave of Orinda with that dirty brush, rather than besmirch Airbnb's "good" name in any way, shape or form. 

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Send your guests to Airbnb headquarters to have a party and ask Airbnb not to forget to trow in some towels 😉

I would suggest to have their colleagues standing in line to serve some coffee, tea and oh please airbnb.....dont forget to leave your guests a very nice review otherwise you will be listed somewhere no other potential guests can find you !😂

@Kira32  I think the party-hearty guests should be sent to Brian Chesky's home. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Sorry guys @Inna22 @Matt26 @Kira32 @Alice-and-Jeff0 @Anonymous - I just couldn’t help myself! It must have been the elf on the shelf!C760224B-B32B-421A-A28F-ECF6903A8509.jpeg

@Cathie19 Thank you for this wonderful lighthearted ending to my week! This is awesome

Well Inna, we have to stick together!

Lol! Love it, @Cathie19! 🙂

Giuliana142
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Inna22 @Kelly149 @Jennifer1421 @Susan17 @Cathie19  I don’t see my name there but I’m right behind you people. 

I think that many guests figured out how to write a fake review of themselves. No idea how or why they do it...

@Giuliana142 

It's not that your name would have been left out deliberately - it's just that only the names of the last 5 people to post on the thread comes up in the tagging box, so those are the names that usually get tagged 🙂

The problem is not so much that guests are writing fake reviews for themselves (that's more the domain of rogue hosts) - it's that so many hosts have become so totally brainwashed by the craven obsession with reviews/ratings/superhost status, that they're afraid/unwilling to leave truthful feedback, and are using the promise of 5 star reviews for their guests (deserved, or not), in exchange for the guest leaving them their life-or-death  5 stars too. Also, many of the "professional" management companies and commercial operators use  automated systems, set to immediately review the guest with a generic 5 star "Great guest! Come back soon!" comment, as soon as the initial review prompt is received from Airbnb (which can often be before the guest has even left the property)

That's the reason so many hosts are now encountering absolute nightmare guests, who somehow have a string of stellar reviews on their profiles from their previous hosts. And reason number 999, why the Airbnb review system is so utterly dysfunctional, and needs to be dismantled, and rebuilt from scratch. 

Oh @Susan17 , I totally agree! 🙌🏼

1DE11D05-0082-45B1-AC51-73610EAB3069.jpeg

@Giuliana142 , I couldn’t  fit everyone in, but you are there. Sorry everyone I missed... I was running low on space.... 😱 and I had to get on with “other things”. 😊

Tweet this to Chesky - too many words so put it in a photo, take a snapshot and ask him to respond. Thils flies in the face of everything he is talking about to the public. How the heck are yoiu required to give a refund to someone who booked and read the house rules then wants to party?

If Airbnb wants to rehouse them, they should do it at their own expense.

I'm betting a few reporters would be interested in this situation.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Inna22 @Cathie19 Very funny idea Inna, SWAT team, and great creativity Cathie!