Guest booking on behalf of someone

Vee-Gee0
Level 3
Mumbai, India

Guest booking on behalf of someone

I've had a number of cases where a relative or friend books a room on behalf of someone else and even uploads the I card and picture of the guest who is actually checking in. This creates a lot of problem, even from the simple point of view of the review to be given by the guest who does not even know his log in password and the responsibility is on the other person who created the login to write a review, but he cannot give a genuine review as he has not stayed at host's guest house.

Airbnb rules state that the guest who books must be one of the guests that stays in, but I guess Airbnb themselves will not have a way to prove that the guest is the one who stayed there. And also is there is no logical way to talk and prove to Airbnb customer support that the email id or telephone number of the guest does not belong to him.

Can anybody advise me how do I handle such guest who do not follow rules of Airbnb and make a mockery of the system?

9 Replies 9
Bruna-and-Siana0
Level 10
Santa Clara, CA

There is an option that you can only accept guests that had a verified government-issued ID. When the guest check in, ask for the ID. If name/picture matches, it's the same person. It might be a bit ackward but this is a solution. Never accept third-party bookings as AirBnB won't help if there is any problem. 

We had a few guests that booked for other people (mom/son/employee). Most of them didn't know AirBnB didn't accept that. We usually tell the guests that we don't accept third party bookings and ask them to create a profile for the other's person. They can also find other places where hosts won't care. In addition, we call AirBnB to cancel the booking without any penalties and fees. 

Vee-Gee0
Level 3
Mumbai, India

@Bruna-and-Siana0 thanks for your reply. I'm referring to a case where a wife created an Airbnb account for her husband using her email id and phone number, but the id and photo uploaded on Airbnb is of her husband. Technically I have to accept that husband who came alone to stay, however the review will be given by his wife who obviously does not have the experience of staying in the place, but since the account is with her, she completes the review. Any solution for such guests to follow the correct way?

@Vee-Gee0 I think if it's under his name and verified, there is nothing you can do. This is not a third party booking as the account belongs to who is staying (that's ultimately what matters for AirBnB). As you were saying it's almost impossible to proof who the phone or email belongs too. It's also impossible to know who will be writing the review or who you are messaging if someone else is accessing the account. 

If you have written proof you can contact Airbnb. In case of a bad review they might remove it. But again, it's hard to proof. Sorry im not being a good help, this situation never happened to us. Perhaps a host with more experience can give better advice. 

Vee-Gee0
Level 3
Mumbai, India

@Bruna-and-Siana0 thanks for writing again. I have only one proof. Not sure how good it is. The husband is an indian citizen but the number associated with his account is a US number of his wife. When I collected the number and sent a chat through watsapp, the person responded saying that she is his wife and I should contact him on his Indian number which she gave. She clearly mentions that her number is associated with his Airbnb accounts to make their international travel easier. So it's obvious that she is operating his Airbnb account and also because he verbally told me that they both between themselves have access to this email id and the Airbnb account. She does the booking and payment for him though the account is clearly in his name only.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Vee-Gee0

Airbnb have no checks and balances regarding third party booking other than they don't allow it, they allow it, and take their circa twenty percent fee until there's a problem then you’re on your own as a Host.

Airbnb have no skin in the game, so they simply don't care, and the Guest will probably get their money back if you turn them away at the door. 

In my experience about 30% of my guests where third-party bookings, Companies booking for employee’s, mummies and daddies booking college going children and gifts,

I let these booking go as my apartments where not very high spec. (no microwaves, coffee machines, dishwashers, TV, DVD, TV Streamers, radios etc)

Airbnb is big business and the nonsense propagated by senior management that it is a community is completely nullified by Airbnb’s terms and conditions.

Most Hosts turn to the community section for help because a circa 30Billion dollar can’t or won’t supply appropriate help and safe guards

What about 3rd party bookings where the booker DOESN'T stay themselves?  I'm trying to find Airbnb's policy about that.  There is a woman who booked for her daughter and her daughter's friend - both are 23.  It leaves me wondering why they don't have their own profile?  I'm seriously considering canceling.

Lívia16
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I was researching about this because I had two cases. One was a German mother booking for her teenager daughter and a friend. I gauged that during our pre-checking chat so I did not stress.

But I had an American guest book for her 19yo daughter and a 37yo friend. I was polite and asked twice why they didn't have their own accounts and she ignored my question both times and just carried on chatting... I was super busy at work and personal life so I forgot the whole thing. One day before the booking I decide to do my own "guest research", if you know what I mean, since I got nothing from the booker. Other hosts mentioned her daughter positively so I let it go.

Now things start to get really annoying... I explained that for my own safety I only accepted guests with verified IDs but since other hosts had mentioned her daughter I was going to let it go this time and asked what time they were arriving. She replied 2pm (still not a word on why they didn't have their own accounts, ignored my concerns every time!) then asked me to get in touch her on Whatsapp... I explained that a) checkin was 6pm as is on the listing and b) I did not talk to guests via Whatsapp, only via the Airbnb app. I assume her daughter must've called her worried bc she finally decided to address my concerns but I repeated that checkin was 6pm like on the listing. Anyway, I'm back from work, prepare the room and 6pm they call the interphone (I have to be honest, by this time I still wasn't sure I'm opening the door, would sort out stuff with Airbnb later or whatever - bad mgmt, I know). But I see a teenager and an older woman looking extremely tired so I feel sorry and open the door. I offer water, tea and we even end up having drinks, like we always do with our guests. Which was fine then but after the next teenager got a bit rude. Wouldn't say hello when in the same room, the other woman was the loudest speaker ever and would talk loudly until late at night. Needed earplugs to sleep. Left dishes in the sink! We have dishwasher, I tell the guests they can use it, but all guests always do the dishes themselves. No consideration whatsoever towards hosts! =( 

Sanja54
Level 1
Copenhagen, Denmark

What do you do when sombody has booked on the behalf of their parents and the booking automatically was confirmed because they have all the right boxes ticked. But their parents I dont know them. This is super frustrating because I dont want to ruin my rating on becoming a super host. But at the same time its not fair that I dont feel comfortable with people that are staying here. 

What should I do?

Vee-Gee0
Level 3
Mumbai, India

I suggest talk to the host before accepting the booking that what you expect in terms of reviews and if they have any objection to that, then they should make it known. It's important that you build a trust with the guest from the beginning because the guest pays in the business and incase you cannot get any review, do not hold it in your mind because you have anyways got paid.