Guest books but never shows up

Nita8
Level 2
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Guest books but never shows up

Can anybody help me to avoid this type of experience when dealings with bookings in the future? 

I received a booking from a guest, Bianca, from SA which I confirmed. She told me she was arriving at 3pm. I rushed home from school to prepare, clean and buy the necessary breakfast stuff.  At 4 I received a cancelled message from Air B&B without any message from Bianca. About 6 that evening she told me she was double booked, which I think was just a lie. She said she was coming to stay with me the next 2 days. No booking was made, so I knew this was another lie.  This type of behaviour is so inconsiderate. Which settings do I use to avoid this type of treatment? Can you report or leave a review somewhere about these characters to warn other hosts? Regards Nita

18 Replies 18
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Nita8  You might be prompted to review this guest as the guest can review you under the new review rules.  In which you can provide a negative review based on poor communication.

I am confused a bit by your listing, though.  Looks quite lovely and you have it listed as an entire house, but state that you are there as well.  When a guest books the entire house the expectation is that all the space is the exclusive use of the guest and there is no sharing with the host during the time of the booking.  Is that the case for your listing?  If so, you might edit to state you are nearby, but not in the space during the time the guest or guests are there.  Just a thought.

Nita8
Level 2

Thank you for the feedback. I don't really know how to deal with my setup. I have 5 rooms in my house that the guests can use and yes, I live here too. Air B&B's setting does not give an option for this. That's why I mention that I live here so guests will know. Can you advice what else to do? Regards Nita

You are hosting a private room not an entire place, @Nita8, right?  If you intend to allow booking of individual rooms, you would create a listing for each room and sync the calendars.  Go to the help center and enter the search term multiple and you will find an article about listing multiple rooms and syncing the calendar.

It is important that you do this as a guest could potentially get a full refund for your misleading listing.  If someone was seeking an entire house and selected your place without noticing that you live there, Air BNB would give a full refund and possible remove your listing.

Nita8
Level 2

Thanks, Linda.  I will try and do that.  Just don't know how to do separate rooms and the calender.  Would a group of people then know that they can all stay at the same place?  I often get big groups.  I had a call from Air B&B in the beginning about this issue.  They said I must just mention that I live in the house.  I really appreciate your help.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

It happens people do cancel and what I learn is that they also shop around for good prices with so many Host around the area they look for what's best for there pocket some love wine and others love beer  I choose wine

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

Set your cancellation policy to strict. This should discourage the people who "book then cancel" in order to hold a room while they search for a better option. Don't give in to someone who wants YOU to do the cancelling. You will be penalized by Airbnb for that. The guest should be the one to cancel. 

You may want to read more on creating listings for your place. You may decide to have an individual listing for each room. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

@Nita8 To change to one days notice, go into your listing settings, then to availability settings. You have a couple of options to choose from. Good luck Moira

@Nita8  I have had similar, I have a strict policy, which Airbnb have changed to 50% instead of 100%,  even day of. I have had a few guests like this who were 'shopping around' usually it's at peak times of the season. I added a Host Voice to suggest Guest's cancelations should be on their review page, just like cancelations are seen on hosts page even when a  year in advance.  It helps to know who is a serial canceler.  Just as it helps guests to know which hosts are serial cancelers.

As you mention it's more than the payment, it's re-arranging one's schedule and appointments, declining dinner invitations and meeting friends to be available for the guest, preparing for the guest and incurring costs and then they cancel with no reason, not even a message to apologize. I think were it to show on their review page it may encourage more consideration.

It seems Airbnb is allowing guests who cancel, who do not even stay at a listing, to leave reviews, I assume the same for host so you can write Guest did not show up and canceled an hour after reservation was to begin.

Maggie10
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Hi - I have been let down by a guest who booked back in October, but never turned up. I emailed asking for time of arrival, and then again, and a attempt to call her phone, all with no reult. She has never contacted me, or cancelled the booking. Lots of prepartion time wasted, and no possibility to re advertise. Do I expect her to pay the full amount? or part of the full amoount? Your thoughts...

@Maggie10   If she didn't cancel she still pays.

@Maggie10  If the reservation has already passed you should have received a payout.  Did that happen?  If not, are you certain the reservation was not cancelled?

Maggie10
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Reservation definitel not cancelled! Supposed to be here this weekend.....

In that case, you should receive a payout within 24 hours of check in, @Maggie10

full amount if it was my (non) guest that did not show.