Guest breaking the toilet AND possibly the HVAC as well

Dianna16
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Guest breaking the toilet AND possibly the HVAC as well

HELP AIRBNB HOST COMMUNITY.  I've had 8 months of bliss with the most gracious,  lovely guest and now these psycho people.   My plumber went by midmorning of me receiving this message and he said they  broken the totilet ON PURPOSE.  
These people are still in my place for 11 more days......I am not sure what to do.  If I contact the resolution center now then they could destroy even more.  

Keep in mind that just 3 days agao they had requested a 2 month extension and I declined based on my guy instinct.   I do not appreciate being spoken to in this manner either.   Any suggestions would be most appreciated.   Any chance they will be removed from the Airbnb platform?  

HELP!!

FROM GUEST Brittany from Buffalo New York:  
So, the toilet just **bleep**ing broke and sprayed water everywhere. So, your whole statement that you remodeled this place is complete horse **bleep**. And if you “did” then you got ducked by paying morons to do the work. I expect a plumber here within 24 hours of this post or we’re gonna lose it on your reviews. The ac still don’t work and you said a tech would be here Monday. Well it’s **bleep**ing Thursday and no ac yet. If a plumber ain’t here by Thursday afternoon then Brandon is fixing it himself and charging you. This is none negotiable and I’m **bleep**ing tired of dealing with your **bleep**. Fix it or suffer the **bleep**ing review consequences!!! This is the absolute worst experience we’ve ever had with an Airbnb!!!
Today at 12:37 AM

15 Replies 15
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Dianna16 ,

Maybe inform Airbnb and ask for advice, seen the message i think they agree this is abnormal behaviour and blackmail. Should be cancelled and not able to leave review.

Bet regards, Emiel

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Don't fix toilet - tell them they need leave as can't be fixed for several days. Get them out.

Avoid long term rentals as this gives them renters rights. If they have stayed over a month then you need lawyer, eviction etc. nightmare. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Definitely contact airbnb, tell them to read this message that was sent to you by the insane guest (hopefully they sent it through airbnb messaging?). "These people are still at my place for 11 more days" ? Only if you allow them to be. Get them out of your place NOW. They are going to destroy more stuff and make your life miserable whether you kick them out now or let them complete their booking. You gain nothing by allowing them to stay.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Dianna16

OUTOUTOUTOUTOUTOUT now.

Thank you for your visit, so sorry it didn't work out, may I help you carry your bags, goodbye.

Deal with ABB after they're gone.

good luck

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Contact AirBNB and tell them they are threatening you. Tell AirBNB you feel they are deliberately destroying your space because you declined their extension, and that you want them out today.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Dianna16 Don't let fears of a retaliatory review stop you from reclaiming your home - AND your peace of mind. If guests are threatening you and blackmailing you, any review they write should be removed by Airbnb. They have done if for other hosts, including me.

On a related note, this is why I created a post here today in the 'Host' forum entitled 'Review System Needs To Be Revised'. Guests should not have the power to destroy our businesses and reputations via a faulty review process that allows vengeful guests to retaliate against us via reviews.

Let us know what you decided to do. And always have Airbnb do the cancellation; you will damage your stats for a long time if you cancel them yourself. 

@Rebecca181     Thank you so much for responding. They are still in there another 8 days.  My current plan is to file a police report once they have vacated the premises and right after I change all the locks.   My plumber took photo's of the damage.  Plus, I have all the text from her saying how beautiful my place was and how it was so much nicer than the photos when she checked in.  Now she changed it to......."your place was not as described" along with cussing me out.  I am hopeful Airbnb will remove both of them from thier platform.  

She thinks I will be afraid to give her bad reveiws, but I'm not.   I was suscpious of her when she first booked becasue she tried to book under her boyfriend or husbands name.   I said, no.  You have to book under your own name, which she promply did.  It' s just so odd if she has stayed in so many airbnb's that she doesn;t have any reviews.  Super easy to get a new phone number and new edmail address.  

Also, I have a tenant who is a TV reporter and he is going to do a story on this.  Airbnb won't like it much I'm afraid.  Are there any rules against doing that?  

@Dianna16 I know that others here have gone to the media before to get a meaningful response from Airbnb - But if it were me, I would read Airbnb's Terms of Service carefully, just so you know what Pandora's Box you may or may not be opening up. Ugh, what a difficult situation, having someone in your space that has this sort of negative vibe. Please keep us posted!

Marco65
Level 6
Rome, Italy

I have the distinct feeling that the guests on airbnb tend to be unreliable and very little attentive to the homes in which they go to stay, unfortunately, however, the fault is also the tenants who offer accommodation at derisory prices attracting unadvisable people. That said, your situation is highly anxious, you should have had immediate contact with Airbnb.

@Marco65   It depends on quite a number of factors- what your listing is (host on-site, city vs quiet countryside, reason why most guests come to the area, etc.), how you describe your place and how savvy you are at vetting guests by their messages, whether your listing accommodates single travelers, couples or large groups, whether a host is willing to accept an iffy guest because their focus is in keeping the place fully booked, how good a host is at setting boundaries- there's such a wide range.

I have a budget-priced listing for 1 guest only. My guests have been nearly 100% wonderful- quiet, respectful, non-complaining, appreciative and leave their space super clean and tidy. I'm sorry your experience has been otherwise.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Dianna16 By their language and manner I expected a totally different offering. You have a nice delicate place not well suited to an aggresive Neanderthal. There is only one immediate goal - they must leave, and now. Get Airbnb to do it, whatever it takes. 

Dianna16
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Hello All,

I apprecaite everyones comments as I am still learning.  

The "guests" from hell stayed thru their inial term and left by their appointed time.  The place was picked up, but was stunned to see that they had rearranged all my furnture an re-hung art work in other rooms.  They also helped themselves to various kithcen items, pillow, blankets and bath towels.   Airbnb has made it extremely challenging to deal with.  Guest were kind enough to post evidence of them smoking pot in my house ON FACEBOOK, so i have picutres of that as well.  

Has anyone ever been sucucessful filing a claim with Airbnb?

I know how the HVAC system is important in the home as it is the complete package of the home appliances which is generally used for the heating, ventilation and an air conditioning purpose. It is impossible to live without an HVAC system in the home. It includes so many complex equipment which needs proper maintenance service in order to function smoothly. One can check this site https://www.santabarbarahvaccontractor.com to hire HVAC experts if you are facing any trouble related to your HVAC system.

@Drew140 Advertising for a personal business isn't allowed on these forums.