Guest brought bed bugs, and now I'm screwed

Kelly28
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Guest brought bed bugs, and now I'm screwed

So a guest brought bed bugs into my home. Airbnb refunded him, and canceled all my pending bookings. Now I have to pay out of pocket $1000 to have an exterminator come (airbnb requires an exterminator to relist), not to mention the booking I lost.

Has anyone got any tips or ideas on reducing risk? What cities and parts of the world are known to have serious bedbug problems? I have heard NYC has a serious problem, I am thinking of not accepting any guests from there. Ideas? 

65 Replies 65
Jennifer2692
Level 1
Orlando, FL

I'm just considering becoming an airbnb host and reading these horror stories, I'm reconsidering. I'd really love to host travelers, but this would be a catastrophe! Makes me think twice about renting airbnb too! It seems to me that an inspection and legal waiver could be signed by the guest upon arrival, that would cover the host, and also possibly hold the guest liable for infestation, too. It may present a minor inconvenience to host and guest alike, but also protect both from claims that might otherwise arise. 

No one is safe, it happens occasionally. A mattress protector is a 1st option. I paid for a visit of the pests control company about $1300... Also, they gave me advice - use a special powder as a preventional measure. It still works, thank God. Here is a perfect article about it -**

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines

@Frank1459  Your profile shows that you just joined Airbnb, you have no listings as a host.

Spamming this forum with links to a business is not allowed here.

Wendy619
Level 2
Fort Erie, Canada

My last guest brought in bed bugs and I know it was them because my room had been empty for over a week and prior to that I had a longterm guest for 4 months and no issues. I had also been in and out of the room during the week it was empty, cleaning and setting up with no signs of them. My guest even showed them to me before they left and didn't request a refund. Now it's costing me $2000 for extermination of my home, along with $200 Airbnb is charging me for canceling upcoming reservations not to mention the revenue I'm losing due to canceling.

you just don't know if it was your last guest.  the room being empty for a week without a guest doesn't mean that bed bugs were not mulitplying, and you don't ever see them usually until the infestation is large because they hide.  it could have been the long term guest they could have picked it up anywhere.  

Cindy163
Level 2
Novato, CA

It happened to me with my Kauai house.  It cost me $3300 to have the house tent fumigated for the 48 hours necessary for bed bugs.  I was able to take care of it before new guests arrived, but I am stunned that Airbnb would penalize you for canceling reservations under those circumstances.  Have you tried to negotiate with them, and have that $200 penalty waived?  Their so-called insurance doesn't cover bed bug invasion.  I asked.