Guest burned my Le Creust pot

Yingxin0
Level 2
Halifax, Canada

Guest burned my Le Creust pot

I got a Le Creuset pot two weeks ago, $860, and I just used once.

I'm planning to use it the second time this weekend, but yesterday before I was cooking, I found the Airbnb guest is using it, cook rice.

I do have a rice cooker in the kitchen, why the guest use Le Creuset to cook rice?

And of course, rice was burned and stuck at the bottom of the pot. The guest sunk it in water for a day and not able to get the burned rice away. Now I told her, if you were not able to clean the pot, you need to replace it.

And the guest told me, I can't afford to replace it.

Then why are you use it to cook rice????

Very angry right now, will let Airbnb deal with it.

22 Replies 22

@Suzanne302  Macy's sell this one $499 US dollar, which is near $860 Canadian dollars after >15% PST and GST in Canada.

@Suzanne302 wrote:

I can't add anything that the other hosts haven't already said but holy crap I never knew there were pots that cost $860! Does it come with a personal chef?! LOL

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/le-creuset-signature-enameled-cast-iron-5.5-qt.-round-french-oven...

@Yingxin0  It will be hard for you to get the replacement cost back from Airbnb since Airbnb stands on guest's side more and even don't have a real security deposit from guests. Good luck in your claiming process.

@Alice595  @Yingxin0       "It will be hard for you to get the replacement cost back".

I agree, Airbnb do depreciation on everything regardless of whether it is suited to the object in question.  Many things are worth far more the older they are - cast-iron is a treasure the older and more seasoned it is.  Not sure about Le Creuset. Good luck!

Thank you Ange,

In the end, I actually get a full refund from Airbnb for the pot. Since it is really brand new with the receipt, I just bought two weeks ago.

But anyway, I decided not to run Airbnb anymore. I've had Airbnb at my house for three years now, get a good income with that, but that is not the only time this kind of damage happened. That is a huge pain to letting any of these kinds of guests entering my home.

@Alice595  Ah, I wasn't accounting for the difference in Canadian dollars. But $499 is still...holy crap!

I can't imagine owning a pot that expensive. No offense to anyone who does, as maybe someday I'll be able to afford a $499 single pot. LOL! A girl can dream!

Gavin99
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

My guests have just left and have not one but two burnt Le C pots where they burnt rice. I'm more annoyed they didn't tell me this morning when I collected the keys . Anyway boiling dishwasher tablets and  leaving them to soak normally shifts it . Le Creuset also have their own pot cleaner which is very good.  I even have cheaper saucepans for them to use .... 

Thank you Garvin,

In the end, I actually get a full refund from Airbnb for the pot. Since it is really brand new, I just bought two weeks ago.

But anyway, I decided not to run Airbnb anymore. I've had Airbnb at my house for three years now, get a good income with that, but that is not the only time this kind of damage happened. That is a huge pain to letting any of these kinds of guests entering my home.

Yingxin0
Level 2
Halifax, Canada

Thank you all, @Suzanne302 @Harold75 @Alice595 @Mark116 @Sarah977 @Susan151 

I got the full refund with the pot from Airbnb, it seems really luck. Attached the email.

Best wish for all!

Yingxin

QQ截图20190927093827.jpg

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Yingxin0  Congrats! I'm surprised they re-imbursed you, you were indeed lucky.  And a better ending to your hosting than quitting because you didn't get paid out and are just angry.