Guest canceled due to rat situation, can they review?

Guest canceled due to rat situation, can they review?

Hi all

I had the unfortunate problem of a rat getting into my house recently (well, that's what the guest claims, we still haven't caught anything).  There's a debate whether the guest can leave a review or not.  So far, the system is NOT allowing me to leave the guest a review so I can only assume that they cannot leave me one.   A few years ago, the guest could not leave a review if they cancelled, some are saying you can still leave a review, as a guest.

Don't just tell me, show me the correct answer... links please...

Thank you!

Rosa

31 Replies 31
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rosa2878 How rude - But don't worry I won't tell you the answer.

What is rude? That I asked for links?  I have asked for answers and people keep telling me THEIR answer but not backing their answer with a link so how do they know they are correct.  It's not rude. 

You’re right. You don’t know they are correct. I guess you are SOL.

(By the way, this is all about *how* you are asking for help, not *what* you are asking. We are all just volunteers here, trying to help our fellow hosts),

If I could edit it, I would.  Unfortunately you all are taking it the wrong way.. I wasn't trying to be rude.  But I just didn't want to get a bunch of yes/no answers with no back up.

Thanks for your reply.

Just in case you were curious:

As of this morning..... 

A "Write a Review" Message popped up today as well as an Airbnb support message who said the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Nov 26, 2021

Airbnb Support    11:43 AM

Hi Rosa. This is Gabriel from Airbnb. How are you?

If the reservation was canceled you should not leave a review.

The review was possible if the reservation was altered, but as the guest clarified that he wanted to cancel it, that option to leave a review is no longer possible.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Rosa 11:55 AM
I'm sorry, your message is a little vague, will the guest not be able to leave a review or will I not be able to leave a review or will BOTH of us not be able to leave a review?

Airbnb Support 11:57 AM
Upon being canceled, none should have the possibility to leave a review
---------------------------------

Hopefully they will not be able to write a review.

Just in case you were curious:

As of this morning..... 

A "Write a Review" Message popped up today as well as an Airbnb support message who said the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Nov 26, 2021

Airbnb Support    11:43 AM

Hi Rosa. This is Gabriel from Airbnb. How are you?

If the reservation was canceled you should not leave a review.

The review was possible if the reservation was altered, but as the guest clarified that he wanted to cancel it, that option to leave a review is no longer possible.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Rosa 11:55 AM
I'm sorry, your message is a little vague, will the guest not be able to leave a review or will I not be able to leave a review or will BOTH of us not be able to leave a review?

Airbnb Support 11:57 AM
Upon being canceled, none should have the possibility to leave a review
---------------------------------

Hopefully they will not be able to write a review.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Rosa2878 as someone who has hosted a few dozen stays already, you probably know that there is a lot of misinformation, vagueness and interpretation of rules by Airbnb customer service itself, so demanding links to clear guidance rarely helps. Hosts on this board can only offer you their experience, much of which is not documented by anything on the website or in the rule book. Perhaps a gentler approach will encourage others to generously weigh in on your issue. 🙂

Yes, apparently everyone has taken my request as being rude but no one has said anything like "I"m sorry you're having such a hard time, you must be frustrated.... how can I help"

And you're right, there is a lot that Airbnb won't clear up because it's probably a case by case basis.  In my experience, when a guest cancels... their whole reservation disappears, how would they even be able to leave a review.  As of now, I still cannot leave this guy a review.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Rosa2878  Yes the guests can leave a review starting from the day of check-in until 14 days after they check-out.  I'm not sure what is debatable here.

If you can explain the situation in terms of cancellation or your listing being suspended due to an alleged safety issue or whatever the reason is that you can't leave a review, that would be helpful.

I think it's a case by case thing.  The guest checked out early because my place had a rat, I allowed them a full refund starting when they checked out which was about two weeks into their stay.

The booking is completely deleted from my calendar... the only traces are emails and a payout.

My account is no suspended that I know of.  But I definitely cannot leave him a review.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Rosa2878 Go ask Airbnb Customer Circus. The opposite of whatever you’re told is correct.

Ha! Exactly! They told me the guest and I can leave a review.  I have yet to be able to leave a review.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rosa2878  I cannot find an actual Airbnb policy which states this. 

But when experienced hosts tell you that guests can leave a review  if they cancel within 24 hours before check-in, because they have had that happen, why would you call that into question? 

Hosts aren't just guessing about it, they have experienced this. If you aren't open to learning from other hosts' experience, and don't believe them, then it's rather pointless to post on a discussiion forum.

I understand wanting to see an official written policy,  but I can't seem to find one. There is wording about leaving a review if the host cancels, but not if the guest cancels.

Hi Sarah... thanks for assuming that I am not an experienced host.  I have been a property manager, hosting over 100 airbnb listings for over six years.

As far as I can remember, a guest has never been able to leave a review on a cancellation that they have canceled and received a refund for ............... especially when their reservation is completely gone from the system.