Guest cancellation - allowed to review?

Answered!
Marie-Et-Simon0
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

Guest cancellation - allowed to review?

Hi there!

We had our first guest cancellation yesterday. The guest cancelled at 10pm the day before check-in.

Will they be allowed to review? I've read that guests can review when they cancel within 24 hours of check in, although sometimes I read that it is when they cancel on same day than check in...

Thanks for helping clearing the confusion!

Marie

1 Best Answer

Moral of the story...... Bookings taken under a FLEXIBLE policy are only tentative bookings at best.   

Hosts with a STRICT policy have peace of mind; rain, hail or shine.  They still receive bookings, but only from guests who are taking a calculated risk themselves or have purchased travel insurance. 

Why should the host carry all the risk? Put the onus back on the traveller and protect your self, your business and costly investment. It's not about the quantity, but the quality of the booking one receives. Be picky and choosy just like guests are. It's a two way street. 

View Best Answer in original post

38 Replies 38
Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Joycelyn8 , I recently had an experience that was near awful that nearly got me my first retaliatory slammer review.  The thing I did that probably headed that off was the moment I had a clue something might not be Kosher, I opened a case.  Mind you I didnt get a response for days (that is a problem but for another thread not this one).  I documented the hell out of the situation and even included pictures.  In the end, I prevailed and I got to see her flaming lie review even if nobody else did (it was all bomb with no shrapnel).  Even if your not hearing back, report it as soon as your worried.  Glad to hear yours turned out OK, stay well, JR 

Edmund73
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I’ve just had my first experience of this. A guest cancelled at 3am on the day of their arrival and demanded a full refund. Under the flexible cancellation policy this received 80%+ back and I was left with an empty apartment and paying the bills (again!). The guest then left an extremely -ve review (2*) having not even stepped foot in our home! 
This has cost me Superhost status which I’ve had for 8+ years!! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Edmund73 

I have read your guests review and in this case I agree with them. If they couldn't travel to you because London was moved into Tier 4 you should have authorised a full refund as you could not host them.  

I can't see what grounds you have for having this review removed . 

Unfortunately STR businesses are high risk when it comes to generating income particularly in the current climate,

As you have a flexible policy there is always a risk that guests will cancel at the last moment and leave you with nothing or very little.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen3 

Well said Helen, we live in abnormal times, many of these people don't simply cancel on a whim, they cancel because it is not physically possible for them to travel.....and it annoys me that the host should still expect their 'pound of flesh'!!

As on top of this as we are in Australia, we still are experiencing hot-spot outbreaks all the time.....mainly from returning overseas travelers who are compromising quarantine regulations.

I have had 5 cancellations over the past two weeks from guests who are precluded from traveling because they are from a declared hot-spot!

Of course I grant a full refund, it's not their fault they can no longer come and I could totally understand them leaving a poor review if the host refused to return their reservation money.

Karma has a great way of keeping the balance of nature in check Helen! For each of those 5 cancellations I have accepted, 4 other new bookings that have come in to replace them....I am no worse off.

Cheers........Rob

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks @Robin4 

unfortunately here in England we have been in lockdown or highly restricted tiers for much of last year which will continue into February this year. 

this means our chances of getting replacement booking are pretty minimal as we can only host key workers. 

still - legally and according to Airbnb's EC policy for Covid we need to refund our guests in full  as we cannot provide them with a service because of government restrictions. 

hosts in the uk such as @Edmund73 , myself and many others have taken a calculated risk to continue to STR knowing we could be subject to lockdowns and restrictions at any time which would stop us from hosting. (Hosts could have moved to 3-6 month rentals or taken in lodgers) .

to then not offer the guest their money back for me morally as well as legally is not correct when as hosts we cannot offer a service.

Moral of the story...... Bookings taken under a FLEXIBLE policy are only tentative bookings at best.   

Hosts with a STRICT policy have peace of mind; rain, hail or shine.  They still receive bookings, but only from guests who are taking a calculated risk themselves or have purchased travel insurance. 

Why should the host carry all the risk? Put the onus back on the traveller and protect your self, your business and costly investment. It's not about the quantity, but the quality of the booking one receives. Be picky and choosy just like guests are. It's a two way street. 

Leonidas25
Level 2
Nea Smyrni, Greece

If the reservation is cancelled by Airbnb, the guest still has the possibility to leave a review?

Cathy340
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I had my first ever guest cancel after checking in(I have been a superhost since 2018)....apparently they found a stain on the fitted sheet, I did see it myself the next day, it was half the size of an eraser head and faded (I get it though people are freaked out with monkeypox etc).  They arrived after midnight and although they messaged me asking for clean sheets they didn't come to my door, what was more strange was one of the beach towels was put in the bathroom sink along with a hand towel, a cup was on the back of the toilet and 1/2 of the TP role was used and haphazardly folded???? they were only here for a couple of hours???I always put a fresh TP roll with a watermark so am thinking they staged it, took pics to

make it look unclean??  regardless, I called ABB and asked if I could see the photos but, they said they cant share them without the permission of the guest!  so I have no idea what they were complaining about?  sadly they can leave a review but, not sure if I can review them?  regardless, I will leave an extra set of sheets for future guests...that is a lesson learned.  good news is a few hours later I was booked!

68556947359__4575DC39-6AEA-4A4F-B3A4-1A2502979406.fullsizerender.jpg

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As an experienced SH i'm sure you already know this but pull up Airbnb's policy for guest complaints and quote the relevant section saying guests need to give hosts an opportunity to address the complaint before the booking was cancelled. @Cathy340 

I would tell Airbnb there should be no refund as you provided the listing as advertised. The guest used the accommodation, didn't knock at your door to tell you there was an issue but simply messaged knowing you would be unlikely to see the message at midnight.

Sounds like it could have been a hook up and they just didn't want to pay.

Leave an honest review.