Should I give guest that cancelled their full refund?

Ashley196
Level 2
Tampa, FL

Should I give guest that cancelled their full refund?

I have had two parties cancel their reservations about a week before their stay, both due to ilnesses in the family. In the most recent case, the woman said she needs to instead go visit her deathly ill father and cancelled one week before her stay. I have a moderate policy so the refund was applied accordingly. She has asked me to consider a full refund given the circumstances. I will likely not be able to re-book this week so last minute. I also want to add that we have a very unsual cold front here in St Pete Beach right now so its not an ideal time to stay. I hope people are honest but you never know. What does everyone else typically do in these cases? Waive your refund policy and give them a full refund or let the policy apply?

23 Replies 23

@Ashley196 - You have a cancellation policy in place to provide you with some security for cancellations that do not fit the Extenuating Circumstances exception policy.  If you want to change it so people can cancel free of charge a day before, you can change your policy to Flexible.  Do not feel like you need to give into this person's personal circumstances.  You have a business to run and she was fully aware of when she needed to cancel by to do so penalty-free. If she qualifies for the exception - she can certainly apply for it - Airbnb would be the decider on if her situation fits the criteria for a full refund.  Personally, I would not refund the guest anything additional. 

I do not control the weather - it sucks when it rains, snows, or is inclimate when a person is on vacation  - but that's not your fault. Heck, my guest is here all week for interviews in town and everything shut down due to the snow. That's not my fault that his week was ruined because of the weather (although if he never checked in, it's likely he would have been approved for an extenuating circumstances refund). It also is not your responsibility to refund people because their priorities change (needing to go see her father).  You can certainly strike a bargain with her and say you'll refund her if you re-book (she was only charged for 1 night of her total stay). Some hosts do this.  Or you could offer her a discount when she books the next time (tip: don't send the discount until after the reservation is over - if it's upfront, she can cancel and she'll have gotten her money back).  Be polite, be professional, be empathetic, but you do not need to be her friend - she's a paying client who has a contract with you.  

If you think she has a legit claim for cancelling due to illness, you can send her these links and tell her she needs to contact Airbnb.  Explain that their decision to fully refund her due to illness is out of your hands and you wish her luck.  

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoida...

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1339/how-do-i-file-an-extenuating-circumstances-claim

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/149/what-is-the-airbnb-cancellation-policy

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/topic/1084/guest-cancellations

Good luck. 

hi @Ashley196I think the advice offered here from Alice and Jeff is excellent.  I personally might be willing to refund if she offered a doctor's note to verify.  But then are we talking about one night's refund?  How long was the original booking for? If fairly long, that seems a bit cheap on the part of the guest, considering they lost you income for much more than one night, I gather.

To further comment on the post from @Alice-and-Jeff0 I differ here:  I do not personally feel I obliged to educate guests on the workings of the Airbnb platform so that they can work things out that are against my own interests.  They can all read (they just often don't), and the information is there for them to know what their options are, they just need to take the time to look it up on the site.

And I suppose your comment on the weather is an indication of the possibility that they are simply not telling the truth.  (Thus the signed doctor's note, which you can verify with a phone call).

Sheila

Dear Alice and Jeff, 

Thanks for yours links. 

I have been solving the problem with the guest whose hasnt cancelled the reservation. He had the reservation from the 28th Dec to 2nd January. We have contacted him several times with no answer before arrival. Days and on the date of arrival we contacted him even to contacts from his profile, means by telephone with no answer at all. My wife stayed thera a whole day and night at 28-29th Dec if the would arrive. On the 5th January the guest had contacted us with claim for refund so we rejected because he didnt communicate with us, the accommodation was available a whole period due he didnt cancelled the accommodation. Airbnb team came with resolutions and deducted us a whole amount (the peak season New Years Eve) due to Airbnb policy - his wife according to host document had medical problems from the 24th December. It means days before arrival. 

I have been arguing with Airbnb people whose reffering me to Airnb conditions where is clearly that guest to inform host AS SOON AS POSSIBLE if knows he/she would not arrive. On the same time if you want to claim refung you have to cancel the reservation first. 

SourceURL:https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1339/how-do-i-file-an-extenuating-circumstances-claim

How do I file an extenuating circumstances claim? | Airbnb Help Centre

If you need to file an extenuating circumstances claim, make sure the reservation is cancelled first.

I dont know what I should do if the guest didnt follow the Airbnb conditions and Airbnb people claim to me that I dont read the conditions properly. 

Please any advise?

Jakub

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Ashley196 A wise Master once said “Either do or don’t do. There is no try”. 

Applied here, either you have a moderate cancellation policy or you don’t. I like having more control over bookings and it helps the guest know they have some skin in the game if they cancel.

A strict policy helps me from dealing with the flakes and kooks who might just be window shopping too.

I think you’re very generous offering a “moderate”. 

Momma needs her money! Nana needs polident for her dentures and Cheerios ain’t free Honey. 

Everytime I go to the mailbox, there’s a bill in there waiting for me with my name on it.

I need help with these bills and every little bit helps. 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

@Rene0&Zac I love your reply! Too funny! And also very helpful lol! Makes me feel better about my decision not to refund.

Ashley196
Level 2
Tampa, FL

Thank you all for the feedback and reassurance!

Mary758
Level 3
Bridgetown, Australia

I have a strict cancellation policy and it works well. I've just had my first cancellation on the day they were due to check in (yesterday) and although the guest understood that my cancellation policy was strict, he still asked if I would cancel the booking. I said no, as it would act as a bad point against my superhost status. but I offered him 50% off his next 2-night stay if he took it within this financial year. Remember, anyone can take out travel insurance to cover cancellation fees!

Jill291
Level 1
Williamsburg, MA

I had someone book for 3 nights for 3 ppl, starting tonight.

When he got here, he told me some plans had changed.  His mother would not be joining him at his brother's graduation as her father had taken ill.  His sister would be here at some point, but it was possible it would be just him tonight.  I got him settled in and left.  I was a bit put off as i had emailed him early this morning asking about ETA so I'd know how to plan/spend the day.  I never heard from him - until I got a text around 8pm saying he'd be here in 40 minutes.  

An hour or so after I left the house with him here, I got a text from AirBnB saying he cancelled.  It was time stamped at 10pm.

He didn't leave a note at the house, or text me directly.  He sent a message through AirBnB - saying things were serious with his grandfather, and that he was going to get himself there right after his brother's graduation tomorrow.

He's requesting a full refund.

I'm inclined to give him a refund for tomorrow and the next night, but not for tonight.

Any thoughts from any of you?

Oh, did I mention this was only my 2nd time hosting?

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Refer them to airbnb. Don't refund them. Airbnb will make them provide proof of the medical emergency and then they can refund the guest themselves if they think the circumstances warrant it. If your cancellation policy does not offer a full refund then you do not have to give one. 

Sadly this happens to me more than I care to admit. Every single time the guest asks me and I tell them they need to contact airbnb. Then, airbnb emails me and gives me a sad story about why I should refund in full even though I am using THEIR strict policy. I tell them NO, It's YOUR CANCELLATION POLICY that I have adopted. If you don't think your policy is fair, then get rid of it. And if you feel the guest should really get a full refund then give it to them out of your own airbnb pocket. 

That usually stops airbnbs sappy sad guilt ridden emails. 

The reason I have become so cynical is that early on I had 2 guests stay 1 of their 2 nights and then tell me it was too cold in the tinyhouse and they were going to get a hotel. Our heater was fine they just didnt like being in a tinyhouse I think. I felt bad and refunded them for BOTH nights. And I left him a good review. He said he'd leave me a good review but guess what? He didn't even bother. People are generally a-holes. 

Okay -- here's a big one! I had a guest book an entire month because he was moving to  this area and needed a place until he fouond something of his own.    Reservation confirmed and accommodations blocked.  The very next day guest contacts Air BnB and asks for a full refund stating he is (all of a sudden) no longer moving to area and won't be needing reservation????   Air BnB has called and told me if was completely up to me to refund funds or not as a Long term reservation requires a full month in advance to cancel -- need advice from seasoned vets on how to handle? 

Hazell0
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Hey Margaret, what did you do in the end? I've had the same thing and this is my second booking ever on the platform! So don't know what to do?

Thanks, H

I had an auto book for 1 person for 15 days (Moderate policy). Come to find out, she’s bringing her 2 kids, and someone will be babysitting them during the day, red flag for our business model (plus our listing is marked not suitable for kids and had a maximum of 2 people). So it was in the interest of both parties to cancel. I thought since it was 48-hrs from booking she’s get her refund, however we were in the 5-days. I was awarded half the money for the 15 days per my refund policy, meanwhile, she wants her money back. Is she due a refund? I advised to cancel thinking a full refund was in order. Thoughts? I lean full refund, but then again, I have missed out on 1-2 weekend days due to the calendar block. Thanks in advance 

have her call airbnb. It is their cancellation policy that you've adopted. You didn't make it up. You stick with the policy and you'll be fair and fine. In other words, keep the 50% and tell her to call airbnb. 

Phil2973
Level 2
Nova Scotia, Canada

just finished reading all these posts.  makes a great read - good insight and perspective thank you.