Guest cancelled and wants refund?

Lois53
Level 2
Bedford, United Kingdom

Guest cancelled and wants refund?

Hi everyone,

Someone booked my place last Saturday to stay from Monday for a week. 

On Sunday (the day before she was to check in) I drove to the house (I do not live there and it takes me 45 minutes to drive each way from home) and got the room ready for her. Later that day she contacted me and asked how far away from my house a specific university was. I told her that university was not in the same town as my house and was around 30 minutes drive away. She told me that she wanted to cancel (but didn't actually cancel). I told her that if she wanted to cancel she owuld have to do it as if I cancel then I get penalities from Airbnb. She told me that she would but she would not get a full refund. I explained to her that I have a moderate cancellation policy and that is why she wouldn't get the full refund. 

She contacted Airbnb asking for a full refund and they called me to ask if I would oblige. I explained to them that as I had driven to the house to make the bed for her I did not feel that I wanted to give her a full refund. Airbnb accepted this and she decided to stay at my place anyway.

However shortly after her arrival time (we have self check in so I didn't meet her) she cancelled the reservation saying that she did not feel safe and the area was 'dark'. 

The house is in a residential area and is as safe as it can be. She arrived at night, so of course it was dark!  

A few hours later she put in a request for a full refund because of the 'safety', saying that my listing is inaccurate

I know that she is making this up because she accidently booked the house in the wrong area. 

What can I do? Will Airbnb make me giver her a refund?

4 Replies 4
Synnove0
Level 2
Alesund, Norway

Do you have the conversation with the guest in writing? I would then send all the communication to airbnb and tell them that you feel this is shady behaviour because she tried to cancel to get her money back, but was declined. And then she checked in, complained and again tried to get her money back. Surely they can see the pattern of her behaviour?

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Lois53

You semi-missed the opportunity to see if she really did checkin. Dependant on the paper trail, you could claim she never checkin.  (You were working in the yard, waiting for her to show, when strangely her complaint came in...)

She probably never bothered to show and just made up her **bleep** and bull story.

Now, you are at the mercy of Airbnb and its aribitrary judgement.

If you had the reservation for one whole week and she only made an effort to find if your listing fit her needs the day before checkin,  you could claim "bad faith" 

Good luck

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

LOL **bleep** is a rooster.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Lois53

Never waste time explaining cancellation policy to the guest. Say "I'm sorry, I don't handle the finances, call Airbnb"