Guest cancelled - didn't get travel visa - wants refund

Sarah-and-Yannick0
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Guest cancelled - didn't get travel visa - wants refund

Hi - I've never posted here before but looking for some advice. We've run an Airbnb suite for over 3 years and have been fortunate in that we've only ever had one cancellation that was close to the time of arrival. The guest in question booked over a month ago - they are coming from Africa to receive medical treatment for a family member. Just today one of them contacted me to say that they haven't received their visas and although there's still time to get them before they are to leave, which is in 6 days, they have decided to postpone their trip - they are seeking a full refund. We have a strict cancellation policy as we depend on this income to cover various living expenses. I've told the guest that if I'm able to rent the house for the days he was booked forbthat id refund what money I can...but he clearly wants a full refund. I've checked and this doesn't seem to fall within the extenuating circumstances policy so I don't believe we owe him anything but I do want to be fair. That said, we don't want to be out of pocket for the 3 weeks he had booked the house for - that doesn't seem fair either. Anyone been in this situations before? If so, how did you handle it? Any other advice would be appreciated. Oh, and I also told him that if he books with us st a later date that we would give him a deal to help offset his expenses. Thoughts?!!

14 Replies 14
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

"They have decided"

That is my key... I would not give them a refund beyond what AirBnB normally offers (flexible, moderate or strict).

PS: Fairness does not apply. They CHOSE not to travel. That's that, for me.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Sarah-and-Yannick0 you don't have to do anything beyond the automatic refund, BUT if this guest contacts ABB I would expect that CS would fully refund them. The guest may not realize that they may appeal in that way, but I would encourage you to encourage them to cancel ASAP. Or actually, I would get on the phone with CS myself immediately to get CS to open up my calendar. Your most likely route to receiving income for these days is for someone else to book it. I truly do not trust CS to ever uphold my cancellation policy. Please come back and let us know what happens.

Emily140
Level 10
St Helena, CA

I've slowly come round to expecting guests to honor their reservation commitment (and related responsibilities on their part to execute it) same as I honor my side of the reservation commitment.  If I have to pay double for an emergency repair, I have to do it, the guest is coming...  While Airbnb holds hosts to 100% commitment, they are soft on guest commitments, unfortunately.  To respect your own commitment, you simply have to realize that you do not offer travel insurance--that is where someone goes for compensation for their unexpected change in plans, not to you--the "small business"--who has relied upon their commitment and made commitments of your own.  It's hard to find non-preachy words to express this in response to a plea for money back, but I now do it routinely.  A reservation is a commitment.  Change thy plans, pay 50%.  And how many people have husbands getting cancer treatments and other surgeries, sheesh!  At first, I believed them, but it's outside the standard deviation of reason. 

Sue-and-Andrew0
Level 4
Johannesburg, South Africa

I agree with the other replies.  While you want to be fair, you implemented your cancellation policy for specific reasons.  You unfortunately cannot take on the responsibility for all your guests' personal circumstances - or in this case other circumstances outside of your control (assuming that the delay is the embassy and not a lack of planning in not arranging their visa in time).

Your sense of fairness is based on you not wanting them to be out of pocket due to the visa delay - so I need to ask if it's fair that YOU be out of pocket due to a visa delay (when you perhaps had no idea on the processes required for obtaining a visa)?

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Sarah-and-Yannick0 I once had a similar situation on booking.com - some prospective Ukrainian guests failed to obtain some documents. I refunded them halving their penalty fee. I think it was fair enough, there 5 days to the stay, and in fact I got a last-minute booking for that weekend.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Sarah-and-Yannick0
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Thanks for all the replies - we really appreciate it! The guest finally cancelled - so at least the dates are open. Unfortunately, we have to reduce the price as it's now less than a week away and won't be able to ask what we normally would. I hear you about the customer service - our other guest who cancelled 1 day before their trip did so because the dad had an eye issue. Apparently they provided medical support for this but given how quickly ca sided with them, makes me wonder if they did. 

Sarah-and-Yannick0
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Oops, sorry - my msg froze. I agree with you all about their responsibility vs ours, and them being out of pocket vs us. I mean it when I saw that we'll refund them what we can but given it's less than a week from their stay, I've had to reduce the rate. Oh, and in regards to the other guest who cancelled and who got a full refund for medical reasons, they said they'd rebook within a few weeks but i of course never heard from them. We go out of our way to ensure our guest house is perfectly maintained - even hiring teade people last minute and paying top dollar if there's anything wrong. It does seem fair that they assume responsibility for their lack of planning and that we aren't penalized. Ugh, just frustrating - but I'm glad for the support, reminds me that I should feel like I should bear the burden of their mistake...or lack or planning. Thanks again.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Things happen I said this befor Host and Guest must work together and I understand we all need the money too more booking trous you and many more 

Sarah-and-Yannick0
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Just thought I'd write an update since several of you were so helpful in responding to my post. I guess the guest decided they'd try to make it work anyway and sure enough, they have their visas! Argh, goes to show people's reasoning isn't always right or true or ??  Anyway, they're coming 2 days after when they could have - now the question is how to handle the fee? I assume he'll want the same rate, which is fine, but he was charged a cancellation fee, something I shouldn't be on the hook for. Ah well, we'll sort it out. Thanks again - hope all are well. S

Louise21
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I have a guest who has been back in tier 4 wants money back now abusive and has my address what do I do?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Louise21 

Just tell the guest they need to cancel through Airbnb choosing the option to cancel due to Covid explaining they are in Tier 4.

Airbnb will then process their refund . 

Then contact Airbnb and ask them to block the guest from contacting you as they are being abusive.

Louise21
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

2 days before with strict cancellation policy?

Louise21
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Christmas during pandemic when I’m still open

Louise21
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thanks worry the know where the property is!