Guest cancels after check-in and now wants refund

Shannon-And-Roger0
Level 1
Tillsonburg, Canada

Guest cancels after check-in and now wants refund

Hi guys!  We had a guest arrive 2 hours BEFORE check-in, stay for 2.5 hours and decide our place wasn’t what she expected.  She therefore canceled 30 minutes after the set check-in time and is now asking for a one night refund for the second night.  We have a moderate cancelation policy but that being said, she actually only booked 3 days before the rental.  My husband says she is entitled to no refund.  I would be willing to give her the one night refund minus Airbnb service fees and she pays the full cost of cleaning (we normally pay half for guests as a thank you and because cleaning fees are high in cottage country).  What should we do?  Thanks!

13 Replies 13
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Shannon-And-Roger0 As per the terms of the moderate cancellation policy

https://www.airbnb.ca/home/cancellation_policies#moderate

your guest will be charged in full for the first night, then get 50% refund of any other nights (if she booked for more than one night). She would only be refunded the cleaning fee if she cancelled before check in. If this is a one-night booking, your husband is correct: she isn't entitled to any refund. However, I think what you have proposed is fair, if you're okay with it, and will likely help to smooth things over, which is helpful since they will still be able to leave a review of your place.

I would also take into consideration that if they get Airbnb involved, they may get all of their money back. You don't say what the complaint is, and depending on what it is and what kind of documentation they have, they may or may not be refunded in full. It may be better for you to come to an amicable agreement on it.

Shannon-And-Roger0
Level 1
Tillsonburg, Canada

Her reasonings for canceling  were:

“Not what I expected. Don’t know how to use fireplace or wood stove, beds too small, look uncomfortable, heater on wall doesn’t work. . Please refund one night, booked on Monday the 12th.”  The breakers for the electric heat are off and only need to be switched on, as was explained to her.

Is there a link somewhere that says she is entitled to 50% back for the second night?  That link you sent me was helpful but I don’t see that part.  Thanks!

@Shannon-And-Roger0 Yes, she  would get a 50% refund of any other nights after the first night. Taken from the link:

"If the guest cancels less than 5 days in advance, the first night is non-refundable but 50% of the nightly rate for remaining nights will be refunded."

Can't really say what Airbnb would make of her complaints: so much depends on the customer service rep they get. That's a bit of a crapshoot.

@Shannon-And-Roger0 But I will say... what is she doing worrying about the fireplace/woodstove/heater in Southern Ontario in mid-August? It's 25 degrees C here right now... Unfortunately, ridiculous people can still make your life difficult!

I did eventually find the full policy online.  Thank you!  I will just give her the 50% and be done with her.  Thankfully it is not the full refund. 

@Shannon-And-Roger0 You don't have to give her anything . When she cancels the reservation from her side she will automatically get the exact amount according to your cancellation policy back.

So no need do do anything. Always just ask the guest to cancel if they wish to cancel.

She has to do it from her side. She can send a request to you. You must never accept that as it then looks like you did the cancellation. She has to do it and you will receive an email that she has cancelled the reservation. 

Kind regards Sandra 

@Shannon-And-Roger0 @Also when she cancels you will see the reservation is automatically updated with the new pay out 🙂

Hi Sandra , perhaps you have some insight for me.  I have a guest who booked my place less than 24 hours before check-in.  He arrived after check-in late in the evening,  and canceled his reservation after walking in the house, he claims it is an "unclean or inaccurate listing" and is asking for $700 (total booking was $867.18).   His exact words were "The place smells. I’m so sorry if this is your family’s home. I can not stay there, walked in and could not stay. At a hotel now."

First of all, his claims are unfounded and baseless, our place is clean and comfortable, no issues.  I have informed the guest of my disagreement with his statements.

Secondly, my question is, I have not received any funds from Airbnb, and the guest is requesting money, I do not agree with his claim and do not want to accept payment to the guest since I have not received any money.  BTW, I have a strict cancellation policy, so should  I still get paid?

Finally, I do not want him to be able to provide a review if he has not stayed in our place.  How do I prevent this from happening?

Any advice or insight you have would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you for your time!

Yosef3
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

Yup, that's usually what I tend to do. Provide the refund and move on to the next guests! Works every time 🙂 

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Shannon-And-Roger0 

She is trying to establish evidence that one of the amenities is not working to get her refund. Airbnb provides a 50% refund even if a person stays the entire stay if an amenity is not working like A/C or Heat and they don't care if its summer, the customer service is not trained to decipher whether there is logical sense in the complaint. Its either a yes or no.

We recently had some people stay at my wife's listings during a big festival called Danforth Festival here in Toronto (you may have heard of it). Through no fault of our own, the A/C was not working that weekend due to the high amount of energy consumption in the area. days after they left, they were refunded 50% of their entire stay even though we brought them 2 fans.

There are sneaky people who will work the system to the max.

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

I give guests refunds all the time, just to get rid of them. Give her  a refund minus 1 day and leave her a 1 star review to warn other Hosts.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Shannon-And-Roger0  I'm not digital on this subject, all or nothing and any compromise outside of the TOS's is based on a number of important factors.  The first is always, "do I own any or all parts of the reason the guest is cancelling?"  if so, Im apt to offer them everything or at least a big portion, In the end, if I have to change rules/ listing policies or depictions due to my oversight or fix something that broke that interupted their stay, thats my bad and I will take the hit to try to make a customer happy.  If its nothing to do with providing less than my listings promise, they better hope I feel generous or they have an unavoidable conflict that I care about.  

Hello friends, I have had a similar situation where a guest booked our room almost 20 days back and came yesterday and check in. He asked us to switch on the AC which we gladly did for over 8 hours, we told him that we need to keep AC off for sometime as after few hours it would be running for whole night. Apparently in the morning he asked us iron for his cloths and after some time he took his bag and left the key on the door and left. After 4 hours he message me saying I won't be coming as It was too hot for me. Is this ethical or professional in any ways, now he is asking for refund. What should we do in this case. It was suppose to be a 15 days stay.