Guest changed a lock in my property

Ada17
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Guest changed a lock in my property

Hello, hope someone can help?

A guest has locked herself out at the beginning of her 20 day stay and did not notify me. She went on to change the lock without my knowledge and only mentioned it 3 days before check out along with the fact that my door is now damaged by the locksmith. I think it is illegal for someone to change a lock in a rented property! What are my rights here? What is the best way to apprach this?

I currently can't get to my apartment and have sets of keys with a few people - I will need all of them changed now, which is a logistical nightmare. 

On top of this, this guest has arrived a day early thinking I would not find out. When I did (because the keys were not where I said they will be), she contacted me to get the keys. She then said she only wanted to leave her luggage and stay elswhere. Since she said she was very tired and needed a rest, I went out of my way to deliver the keys to her within 30 mins and changed the dates of the reservation to reflect the extra night but can't see via Airbnb dashboard if this has been accepted or not. 

I am gobsmacked, HOW CAN YOU CHANGE THE LOCK OF SOMEBODY ELSE'S PROPERTY?

I would appreciate some guidance on this...

Many thanks

1 Reply 1
Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

I would immediately get in touch w abb and have them cancel her.  Post this on the abb Facebook for the fastest response.

This is nuts.