Should I let my guest check out early?

Vanessa576
Level 1
Woodland Park, CO

Should I let my guest check out early?

I had a guest decide to leave a day early. They told me they were going to leave early but not 24 hrs in advance. She would like a refund for the night she did not stay. What have you done or what are the rules in this situation?

10 Replies 10
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Regardless of your cancellation policy, there is no refund for unused nights with less than 24 hours notice. In your place I would politely tell the guest that Airbnb policy does not allow for a refund, but if by chance you are able to rebook that night you will repay her whatever you can recoup. Of course, with that little notice that will probably not happen-- this will hopefully help your guest understand that she is asking you to pay for her change of plans.

@Vanessa576 in this situation I would tell her this:

Hosts are not in charge of how refunds happen.

All matters of money are handled by Airbnb, so if the guest wants a refund, they have to send a request to Airbnb. Airbnb will make sure that the  appropriate cancellation policies are applied.

In this instance, of course, the guest should not be entitled to a refund of the last night of their stay.

But it is Airbnb's job to tell her that.

It is, of course, possible that Airbnb will send a request to you asking if you approve an unusual refund (against standard cancellation policy). You do not have to approve this request.

If the guest comes back to you asking why you did not approve the request, you can tell them that to be fair you always follow the standard cancellation policies. 

If you have tough time saying no to people, use the line that "We have investors that we need to ask to approve any refunds that go against the standard policy. They didn't approve. Sorry."

Tried it. It did not work. Neither does this web site. It lost all my detailed response.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Randy465 

it’s not clear what you are referring to as you have posted your comment in the middle of an old thread.

if you have a query why not start your own thread? 

Vanessa576
Level 1
Woodland Park, CO

Thanks for the response Matthew. This response is perfect. 

I have a guest who may leave a couple days early.  They appear to be the type who would ask for a refund.  But, since I have been prevented from booking those days because they reserved them.  Should I not be entitled to keep the total amount paid?  Or do I have to refund the unused days.  It would seem unfair to me to be out of the money that I have already calculated into my budget, and still lose the money I could have gotten if they had not held the days in reserve?

Just say "Sorry, No."

Salut @Randy465 @Cormac0 ,

Yet, the negative review appears in the next minute for 'no' 😂

Turns out Airbnb won't handle this. We hosts have to play bad guy and handle it and enforce policies, even for those guests that like to ignore the rules. (Like leave early with no notice, then expect a refund.)

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Vanessa576 

Tongue in Cheek, you could tell her that this is a good opportunity to explain that you've increased your prices retrospectively to her visit by 20% and she can put that in her pipe and smoke it.