Guest claiming that we have cameras in our apartment - Possible Scammer?

Guest claiming that we have cameras in our apartment - Possible Scammer?

We have a Ring video doorbell outside our apartment. Last night around 7 pm, we saw the guest leaving with his luggage even though he was supposed to check out today. THen 45 minutes later, the police were at our door. I wanted to contact the guest, but my wife said why?; he just won't respond.

Then overnight we get an email from Airbnb stating that we may be violating their policy because we have recording devices. We clearly state in the listing and house rules that we have a Ring doorbell and (2) Echo dots in the apartment so they can play music, turn on/off the lights, etc. They scheduled a call for 6 pm tonight. I tried calling to speak to someone immediately but was told I have to wait for them. They did say that the guest provided "proof".

Is this a setup? Has anyone had anything like this happen to them or heard of this situation? Could I really lose my listing due to a lying guest? Thanks.

Shawn

17 Replies 17
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Max-and-Shawn0 What did the police want?

We don't know. We did not speak to them.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Max-and-Shawn0  I only know form this forum of crazy things that happen, but there has definitely been hosts before who had disclosed the cameras in their listing and still were 'paused' for some period of time until a sane customer service person was found.  Good luck and write back and let us know what happened on your call. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Max-and-Shawn0 Sadly your listing appears to have been taken down - Not sure if you knew this.

I hope you get the issue sorted quickly

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

That's an interesting point about it being a scam- It would be easy for a guest to plant a dropcam during their stay.  Even if it wasn't *this* guest, but a previous one.  That's creepy.  I guess all the more reason to document as much as possible on our end.

Fingers crossed for you.  Keep us posted on how this is resolved.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Max-and-Shawn0 

Most likely what happened is that the guest booked and did not see your discloser about cameras/recording devices because Airbnb hides this info behind a "Read more" links and honestly who clicks those?

So, they show up and are "freaked out" about their "invasion of privacy." Airbnb could 100% create a system that clears up these misunderstandings but they do not.  So, unfortunately, hosts have to suffer the stress and loss of business while Airbnb "investigates." 

I hope all works out of you. 

@Emilia42  That  may be true that the guest didn't notice them and complained, but it is ridiculous that Airbnb would pause the listing when all they have to do is REVIEW THE LISTING themselves and see that the cameras were disclosed.  

Per the 'read more'...indeed, I was refreshing the listing last week and I actually could not find where my own house rules were hidden, I had to go back and click around a couple of times before I located them.  For F sake, I've been hosting for 5 years, if I cannot find the rules, how could any of these new no profile guests be expected to ever see them?????

@Mark116 Oh I definitely agree, it's ludicrous. All Airbnb has to do is create a "pop-up" in plain sight during the booking process where the guest will sign off on the discloser of security cameras. Not hide it and tell the guest to check a random box that they "read the terms." 99% of all people check those boxes and don't actually read anything.

Hosts should then be required to "register" their cameras showing an image and the location internally on the site. When a guest complains, Airbnb CS can look at the internal registration form and compare to the guest's "proof" and remind the guest that they agreed to the listed cameras. 

Update: Have a call scheduled for 4 pm - 6 pm with Airbnb's security team. We went to check the apartment; ALL lights were left on and the curtain was wide open (over 50 guests and no one has ever done that). BTW, he was there for 2 days before he "found" whatever he found. He also unplugged the Echo Dot in the living room.

So...hightailed it out a day early, unplugged devices, opened curtains, and left every single light on in the apartment...hmmmmm

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Max-and-Shawn0  I bet it was the cameras.  You want to just stay calm, even though I imagine the CS people may be infuriating,  and keep directing Airbnb to the places on the listing where it says there are cameras and keep explaining the purpose of the echo dots.  Your listing has def. been paused because it doesn't come up on your profile.  Hopefully they will sort it out for you on the call today.  Good luck. 

MYSTERY SOLVED - Guest thought the NIGHT LIGHT in the bathroom was a camera!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N47M3V0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What is so funny is that there is another one in the kitchen and living room AND they are clearly visible in our listing. If you wave your hand in front of them, they will light up. Actually, highly recommend them!

Thanks, everyone!

@Max-and-Shawn0 Well, thank goodness this was resolved in a timely manner by Airbnb!

I have very similar night lights scattered around my place. I would highly recommend them as well! Let's see if this ever happens to me 🙂

P.S. did the Airbnb customer service rep quickly 'get it'? or did it take a lot of convincing?

@Max-and-Shawn0 

@Max-and-Shawn0,

After the trouble you've just gone through, I don't think many hosts are going to take your recommendation for that specific nightlight.  I have motion nightlights in the kitchen and in the bathroom so guests can make their way to the toilet in the middle of the night without bright overhead lights. 

I use these: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014JUG9BU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The pictures are from Amazon.

Debra300_0-1599171922806.jpegDebra300_1-1599171936097.jpeg