Most of us fret about getting 5 stars while Nikola got the whole Milky Way

Answered!
Nikola15
Level 8
California, United States

Most of us fret about getting 5 stars while Nikola got the whole Milky Way

This was the most unusual request I have ever had and I’m so glad I said yes. A man in his 40’s contacted me saying his wife’s cancer had taken a turn for the worse and she was now being put on hospice. She was in a hospital about 30 miles from me. Their insurance would no longer cover them in the hospital if she was on hospice but if she had a home the nurses, equipment, etc. would all be covered. He tried other rental options but they all wanted first, last and a lease. Then his son in law mentioned Airbnb and that’s how he found me. This was his first booking so I called Airbnb because it all sounded a little crazy. They assured me he was who he said he was. He booked for a whole month even though he thought it might only be week. 

The medical equipment arrived on a Friday but the family didn’t get here until Monday evening. I gave them a lot of space and they were very self sufficient. During this time we had the power turned off by PGE for 4 days and they managed to get a generator on their own to keep things going. Gradually family members left until it was just the man and his wife with hospice nurses coming every day. On about their 8th day here I could tell the husband had grown weary and was not sure how much longer he could hold out.

He was losing the love of his life. I had gone down to visit the wife a couple times and she was nothing short of an angel. She was so happy to be out of the hospital environment and in a home surrounded by nature with deer visiting daily.

That night I was on my way to check in on them and stopped to stare up at the Milky Way. It was brighter than usual and seemed to go on into infinity. Just then he came outside and confirmed she had died. He was sobbing, shaking from the cold and the shock.

We hugged tightly under the Milky Way, the Highway to Heaven, for a long time.

I will never forget this family of angels and am grateful for this unique opportunity. I opened my home to them. They opened their hearts to me.

[Title updated]

nikola clay
1 Best Answer

So many hosts fret about getting the Five Stars, but @Nikola15  deservedly got the whole Milky Way. 

View Best Answer in original post

54 Replies 54

@Nikola15  That seems like a weird law to me. All homes, unless they are new, likely have had many things  happen in them over the years- births, deaths, illnesses, weddings, fights, the whole range of human events. Many cultures have a quite different attitude towards death than Americans or Canadians- they view it as just the natural progression of things. As in Day of the Dead in Mexico- parades, altars set up everywhere, photos of ancestors and the dear departed. It's an opportunity to celebrate life as much as death. It's sad that your guest had to die, but we all do, eventually. Seems like the kind of dying experience you provided these guests with is more good vibes than anything bad.

Nikola15
Level 8

Totally agree! 

nikola clay
Chastity3
Level 8
Orlando, FL

This was incredibly touching to read. As a nurse, who have had to work with Social workers to setup hospice care for patients we could no longer "save", this was so warming. You were specifically chosen because of the way you opened up your heart, not just your home. The experience of providing comfort to a dying patient can be very stressful on the caregivers and I know the family look at you as an angel! Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for such a beautiful and touching note. God bless you for your compassion.

Wonderful thing to do@Nikola15

That family will forever remember that they have been touched by an angel!

Marta794
Level 6
Portland, OR

What a beautiful story!  Thank you for sharing and for helping make this couples’s final days together Amazingly Beautiful!!

Lydia94
Level 10
Cleveland, OH

Hi Nicola, it was like a breath of fresh air for me to learn that there are still hosts, hosting for love of people and not just for greed and money. Please never loose this spirit.

Lydia

Casita-By-The-Texas-Bay0
Level 10
Texas, United States

"Don't neglect to show hospitality, for by doing this some have welcomed angels as guests without knowing it." Hebrews 13:2

What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing!

Yes, I was reminded of the Christmas story and how there was “ no room in the inn .” Glad I did have room. As a host you never know who you’re going to get. 

nikola clay
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Sometimes when you are having a bad day something comes along that gives you a little faith that there is  true kindness in the world. This story was it. Thank you for sharing. It was really important for my mom to die at home instead of a hospital-- you probably don't know the full extent of the gift you for gave this couple. You provided a home for their very difficult journey. I had to do a little soul searching when I read this to think "would I be open to something like this?" Thank you for putting yourself out there to help those in need. I wish I could say I would selflessly do the same. This is inspiring.

Donna519
Level 4
Bali, Indonesia

Simply brilliant - beautiful story - Well done

Nikola15
Level 8

Thank you all for your heartfelt responses! I feel connected to you all and wish I could visit each one of you. If I’m ever in your area I will look you up. Wishing you continued success and know that you are making a difference. ;@)

nikola clay
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thank you @Nikola15 and all those who have shared their stories and support in this heart-warming story you shared in late 2019.

How are you doing @Nikola15 ?

May we all take the time to reflect on those before us, the kindness that families and people in general  appreciate at times of death regardless of the situation.

Nikola15
Level 8

Thank you Helen ! I am doing well and trust you are too. How thoughtful of you to reach out. I hope you are staying healthy and feeling blessed as I am through these times of great transformation. Sending much love.

nikola

nikola clay
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Nikola15 

Great to see you pop by for a visit to CC and to read you are doing well.

I hope your Guest whose family member passed away is also doing well.

I am well thank you and very appreciative of your topic on death as I had a guest come and stay several weeks after their spouse had passed on, they were understandably fragile and I was a little nervous about it so sought inspiration from your kind deeds.

We have caught up again recently whilst they were passing through and staying with their family and they are doing well.

When one encounters the situation of a person who is a stranger who is going through something people across the world go through every day it's appreciated to have a topic one can refer to how we may be able to make things a little gentler for others in similar circumstances.

Thanks again and sending you all love, peace and warm thoughts across the miles wherever you are in this world in challenging times.